Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everything is easy-mode except,,,

2»

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by deniter

I've nothing against casual gamers, but lets not forget this game had more than 8 mil. subs before the casualization begun, so obviously a lot of people liked the harder and grindier version of wow.

Correlation and causation are two completely different things

They are, and the math is a bit more complicated than what i posted. But that does mean there was nothing wrong in the original version of wow, doesn't it, and there were enough people willing to pay for it to make WoW a phenomenon of a decade.

1.  There is no math involved.  Its not like we know x people quit because of change y but z people stayed because of it

2.  It doesnt mean much of anything.  WoW's player loss is pretty natural for a game of its age and its tapped most of its potential new customers by now

That said, I rally hope they bring back BC level of dungeon difficulty in WoD.   Challenge mode was a bad idea, because it enforces the go go go mentality thats ruining dungeons in every mmo.

Agreed. That might bring even me back to wow if dungeons were like before wotlk.

• MMOVet82MMOVet82 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Seems to me that not many people have completed Siege of Orgrimmar on Heroic even though it's been available for quite some time so far. I don't know what this easy talk is, I think people saying that have not even tried the harder content. Also have you ever tried to lead a group of people all with varying skill sets? And make it work? and make them all get along? It's not as "easy" as people are saying.

This was very much the case during TBC/Sunwell. Everyone was going off like crazy (including me) about how casual the game had become and yet like 1% of the guilds that existed were actually even up to Sunwell content. 

As for 8 million+ subs at one point: What are we at now? 7 million+? 

I'm not 100% convinced, by any stretch of the imagination, that the decrease in subs really has anything to do with the game becoming more casual. I think it has more to do with the game being 8 years old and the fact that we've lost some of the extremely hardcore (although they may come back for WoD) and some of the most casual who were bound to leave anyway as they were just trying the game out when it was popular to do so. If WoW had never made the game accessible to the casual player, these players might not have even tried the game in the first place. It's hard to criticize this many million of subs as the result of something Blizzard did wrong, you know? 

• MMOVet82MMOVet82 Member Posts: 33

I've nothing against casual gamers, but lets not forget this game had more than 8 mil. subs before the casualization begun, so obviously a lot of people liked the harder and grindier version of wow.

They are, and the math is a bit more complicated than what i posted. But that does mean there was nothing wrong in the original version of wow, doesn't it, and there were enough people willing to pay for it to make WoW a phenomenon of a decade.

1.  There is no math involved.  Its not like we know x people quit because of change y but z people stayed because of it

2.  It doesnt mean much of anything.  WoW's player loss is pretty natural for a game of its age and its tapped most of its potential new customers by now

That said, I rally hope they bring back BC level of dungeon difficulty in WoD.   Challenge mode was a bad idea, because it enforces the go go go mentality thats ruining dungeons in every mmo.

Agreed. That might bring even me back to wow if dungeons were like before wotlk.

The more I read about WoD the more excited I get. Heroic Blackrock Spire, anyone? 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I just love all the posts that claim WoW has "turned into" easy mode over the years.  WoW has always been "easy mode," unless WoW was literally your first MMORPG.  Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for most people.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    99% of all MMORPGs are "easy mode". The reason is that people play such games because they want to be a hero, powerful, successful and strong. If they die and suck all the time, they stop playing. That's why the only difficulty is the amount of time you have to invest to beat certain content or reach certain goals. Or, in certain free to play MMORPG, it all just depends on the amonut of money you spend.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I loved it! Back in the days when i didn't knew that one can eat and drink at the same time. Killing 2 mobs with my mage and having 30+ seconds downtime after. Even greater when you'd outleveeld your own food and 1-2 level before you learn to conjure better stuff.

Ah, memories....

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

It was a bad idea (like most things in MoP) because to get through fast enough with a gold rank -- healers are a penalty.

MoP is the no Holy Trinity version of GW2, and just as bad.