Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Landmark replace EQ Next?

2»

Comments

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Raxxo82
    People seems to think this is two completely different games/titles, its not. Landmark is just the tools being used for eq:next. Its not like they`re making two of everything. What SoE is doing is just letting people have a extremely detailed "trail" run of EQnext and in the process they have their costumers help creating the world. Brilliant! In LM they will also have they longest Alpha/Beta period for EQN, any game ever see (without actually calling it alpha/beta )and enough time to hopefully give EqN the smoothest launch in a long mmorpg time.

^ this.  Let players peak into EQN but offering EQL simultaneously letting them build the world (helping diversify in game looks).  wonderous indeed.  

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I personally do not believe for even 1 second that you could use Landmark to build EQN. That is marketing talk at play and not likely to be a reality. Landmark will allow you to build your own worlds but they won't be as complex as EQN. These two games are going to play nothing alike imo.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Allegedly (because it hasn't been seen) the world of EQN has already been generated from a musical algorithm and the team has been adding world structures for a while now. Classes have been mapped out at least partially due to the montage of animations shown at Live in August.

I believe Landmark is the live test bed for the in-game dev tools being worked on. "In-game" being the prime word so, like the building tools seen already, we have the same capabilities within reason that SoE does when we are building in Landmark.

i agree w that speculation

SOE had already been doing that w EQ2 before rolling out new features to other SOE games

- Station Exchange / Livegamer

- Appearance slots

- free to play business model

- PlayerStudio

- SOEmote

- Krono

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I love all the EQN:L comments about it being for free work to make building for EQN...Really?  SoE is hurting so badly, they need some buildings made by people and they have created this whole scheme to have some buildings made!  They said they would maybe have a contest and use some, as part of their get fans involved/round table type stuff.  If you really think they need EQN:L for some buildings, guess nothing will change your mind, I just find it ridiculous.

EQN:L  - More sandbox, don't think it has classes, but you get more abilities from crafted stuff, it has generated content to harvest, pve, and the ability to set up pvp rule sets from what they have said.  You can jump between worlds, and it has areas that you can do any theme you want.  They will be giving access to all of the quest/dungeon/ai tools to let people make things.  Now if any game is "using" people, it would be EQN:L.  They will make procedural content to go along with content made by people.

EQN - More hybrid, as it will have developer generated content to go along with the procedural content, and it will have the large number of classes, to where you get abilities, verse the smaller set in EQN:L.  We don't know a ton yet, but this is more your typical mmo.

EQN:L could actually become way more popular, and if they opened up even more tools, and let people create their own mobs, races, classes and worlds, they could basically have it used as a mmo developer kit.  People could make their game for free, minus time, the game then would use the in game store that is already set up to provide profit for both parties.  Someone mentioned that going outside of this would probably violate the terms with voxel farm (think that's what the engine is called), but they already basically have the store set up for EQN:L...Now depending on license wording with voxel farm they may or not be able to do this.  If not they could always eventually make their own replica to free themselves eventually.

So I am more excited for the EQN product at launch, but I could see how EQN:L could become almost anything for people, want a hardcore permadeath world, ffa pvp, 3-5-7 faction pvp, etc....

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Tibbz
    People seems to think this is two completely different games/titles, its not. Landmark is just the tools being used for eq:next. Its not like they`re making two of everything. What SoE is doing is just letting people have a extremely detailed "trail" run of EQnext and in the process they have their costumers help creating the world. Brilliant! In LM they will also have they longest Alpha/Beta period for EQN, any game ever see (without actually calling it alpha/beta )and enough time to hopefully give EqN the smoothest launch in a long mmorpg time.

^ this.  Let players peak into EQN but offering EQL simultaneously letting them build the world (helping diversify in game looks).  wonderous indeed.  

+1

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

have u seen how fast soe can create a castle or ruins or anything using the EQNL?

i doubt they have issues creating zones or anything

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

+1

It's crazy to say, but Sony might actually be on to something with this method. By utilising EQLandmarks launch and development progress/experience a rare smooth MMORPG launch is something that will turn heads their way, especially if they end up having a heavy load of launch day players. Definitely will allow EQNext some prolonged pre-development phase which as everyone should know increases the chances of a well designed and though out game.

I'm looking forward to see what happens as development continues.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

Originally posted by DMKano

It is 2 different games.

EQL does not have any of the planned EQN AI, and NPC assets.

EQL is the sandbox builder toolset.

EQN is the adventure game

EQLandmark and EQNext are 2 internally separate projects at SOE, EQL and EQN will run on separate servers (becuase hint - they are 2 separate games)

There is a planned alpha/beta for both EQL and EQN.

There are obviously commonalities between the two (engine etc...) BUT theya are still 2 different code bases - 2 different games. 

Please stop spreading misinformation.

Actually they said the AI stuff would be available for people to create stuff with in a video.

Originally posted by Xthos

It is 2 different games.

EQL does not have any of the planned EQN AI, and NPC assets.

EQL is the sandbox builder toolset.

EQN is the adventure game

EQLandmark and EQNext are 2 internally separate projects at SOE, EQL and EQN will run on separate servers (becuase hint - they are 2 separate games)

There is a planned alpha/beta for both EQL and EQN.

There are obviously commonalities between the two (engine etc...) BUT theya are still 2 different code bases - 2 different games. 

Please stop spreading misinformation.

Actually they said the AI stuff would be available for people to create stuff with in a video.

Not at launch, heck not for a long time probably - maybe after EQN launches they'll add it EQL.

Didn't see a mention of when, just that it would in the video.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by rojo6934

im worried they will deliver 2 mediocre and unfinished products instead of one excelent fully featured product.

I really hope i am horribly wrong.

Much like Vanguard ? They screwed it up royally

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by adamch29
    With all the emphasis that SOE has put on Landmark it makes me think that they are putting off EQ Next. At the very least Landmark may push back release of EQ Next by months if not years. I may just be paranoid or uninformed. Thoughts?

EQ Next and EQ Landmark are going to be very similar games as far as game engines and world design is concerned.  Think of them as the same game except Landmark is where players build the content and the Next world will be created by SOE with a world story arc.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Ender4

I personally do not believe for even 1 second that you could use Landmark to build EQN. That is marketing talk at play and not likely to be a reality. Landmark will allow you to build your own worlds but they won't be as complex as EQN. These two games are going to play nothing alike imo.

I'm not so sure.  I dabbled with some world builders before and the tool used is pretty much the same.  With the voxel technology regular EQNL players will have more functionality and ease f use then most previous world builder. 

I will have to disagree with you completely and say Landmark will play much like EQ Next.  And we will probably see a lot of player created content in EQ Next when it launches.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by adamch29
    With all the emphasis that SOE has put on Landmark it makes me think that they are putting off EQ Next. At the very least Landmark may push back release of EQ Next by months if not years. I may just be paranoid or uninformed. Thoughts?

You have your order backwards.   EQN Landmark can't replace EQ Next.  Landmark comes out first.  Do you mean will Landmark preemptively reduce the number of potential players of EQ Next?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by SupaAPE

+1

It's crazy to say, but Sony might actually be on to something with this method. By utilising EQLandmarks launch and development progress/experience a rare smooth MMORPG launch is something that will turn heads their way, especially if they end up having a heavy load of launch day players. Definitely will allow EQNext some prolonged pre-development phase which as everyone should know increases the chances of a well designed and though out game.

I'm looking forward to see what happens as development continues.

I actually think this is an interesting way to make some cash to help fund a game vs. what's been done in the past. We'd normally be asked to buy our way into a beta (pre-order bonus) or asked to pony money up front (like a kickstarter). What we are getting is more of a Minecraft approach (sort of). The founders packs can be used to get into Landmark and help fund the entire project. Then we'll get Landmark as a builder, exploration style game, which doesn't require a ton of made content. All the while, SoE gets to test engine, server structure, UI, etc. 

The two games also have the potential to attract to different audiences. You'll have the builders going nuts making various things to show off, and then you'll have those who just want to play a mmo. Plus everyone in between. Neither game will be perfect (no game ever is), but there is a lot of potential for a very wide market to get hooked into either of the games (or both).

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

It sort of upsets me a bit that all emphasis is on landmark, which has been very much delayed it seems...but I understand the emphasis on landmark instead of NEXT because its coming out first.

There just seems to be little, very little progress that they share with us in terms of NEXT.  I don't think we'll see NEXT for 1-2 years.  Definately not in 2014.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by cesmode8

It sort of upsets me a bit that all emphasis is on landmark, which has been very much delayed it seems...but I understand the emphasis on landmark instead of NEXT because its coming out first.

There just seems to be little, very little progress that they share with us in terms of NEXT.  I don't think we'll see NEXT for 1-2 years.  Definately not in 2014.

Landmark is not late yet.  They said this winter which runs until March 20th.  As long as they release it before March 20th they have met thier own deadline.  However, if they need to fix any major bugs then no big deal if it slips a little bit.  Better to have a complete game with few bugs, then an incomplete game with lots of bugs.