Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to announce a new SWG inspired mmo this year.

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
from the reddit ama.  can't figure how to paste here. 

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Paste the url into the body of the message?

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Question: "If you could relaunch a shutdown title which one would you pick and what would you do differently this time?"

Answer: "SWG. I would do everything differently.

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now."

and "completely new IP. The data is on the interwebs.. someone just has to find it."

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    More than a few former SWG players will be in The Repopulation. It's SWG-inspired and it's not SOE.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Smedley did say that SWG was running fine and profitable.  Maybe they decided to take all the resources for the four games they are shutting down and dump them into one big game to capture all those people and the SWG people too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Let's hope so.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Smedley did say that SWG was running fine and profitable.  Maybe they decided to take all the resources for the four games they are shutting down and dump them into one big game to capture all those people and the SWG people too.

It does seem that SOE discovered that 1 incredible mmo is much better than many shit mmo's.

I hope SOE takes this upcomming SWG styled MMO very seriously.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Vayman
    More than a few former SWG players will be in The Repopulation. It's SWG-inspired and it's not SOE.

The Repop didn't interest me at all initially ... but then hearing about their hardcore server, I instantly got a gamer boner. Looking forward to it. I'll support for the beta for sure.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    As long as I can make Jar Jar Binx, i'm happy.

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Somehow I find it highly ironic that Smed--the one who shafted all the Pre-CU folks to pursue the kiddies back in 2005--would give the kiddies the shaft today (by cancelling Free Realms, Clone Wars Adventures and Wizardry Online) to go chasing the Pre-CU folks.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    What do they mean by "SWG inspired". Is it another SW game or is it space-themed? Pretty ambiguous there.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    With Disney driving the Star Wars bus now, I seriously doubt that they will licence SOE anything. I would imagine that EA will do the new SW games as they crushed Lucasarts as a game studio.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I still play SWG, first MMO I really loved after UO, but idk if I would want a game like that if it wasn't Star Wars...we shall see.  The repopulation does look very cool too.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Firefly themed SWG! Do it!
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I'm so tired of waiting for new GOOD mmos, that I don't even want to hear about them until they are a month away from release... heh

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Firefly themed SWG! Do it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Paste the url into the body of the message?

There are issues with doing that from Internet Explorer, has been for a while.  

On topic, perhaps it will be set in the world of Vanguard, because SoE apparently is refusing to sell the IP:

https://twitter.com/Aradune/status/426865896288559104  

Edit: Or not it would seem, completely new IP:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1w2lu2/im_john_smedley_president_of_soe_amaa/cey6qjf

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Heh, "IF you COULD" but can they? I don't think that is on the table.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Heh, "IF you COULD" but can they? I don't think that is on the table.

They obviously can't.  What he said was that they were making a new game in the mould of SWG, but it would be their own new IP.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

From the info is this a post apocalyptic Zombie infection sandbox Mo Smedley in the ama states he plays DayZ and Rust and we all know that those games sell like hot cakes,he also says look for the IP it's on the interwebs ,and is the SWG reference a clarion call to all the niche hardcore sandbox players out there ?

p>
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by darker70

From the info is this a post apocalyptic Zombie infection sandbox Mo Smedley in the ama states he plays DayZ and Rust and we all know that those games sell like hot cakes,he also says look for the IP it's on the interwebs ,and is the SWG reference a clarion call to all the niche hardcore sandbox players out there ?

I have a hard time believing that a zombie MMO would be targeted at SWG fans.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by darker70

I have a hard time believing that a zombie MMO would be targeted at SWG fans.

True but if they modeled on old SWG open world,skill system blah blah.... that could be what he is hinting at maybe more like a modern day setting a bit what like Secret World attempted many players want that back the IP can be anything as long as it brings that nostalgic feel to the SWG vets.

p>
  • ChewychompChewychomp Member Posts: 9
    If SoE can't have Star Wars theres always the next best thing....Space Balls the MMO!