Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to forgive SOE? Atleast give credit where credit is due.

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
Okay, so Smedely said he would have done everything about SWG different or something along those lines and we don't know the details of the game which hasn't even been announced yet. However, you've got to give them credit with what they've shown us for EQN and EQNL, they seem to be trying something different, something it seems that many on these forums have asked for, for years. As for the unannounced game, well that's even harder to make anything of but atleast they owned up to the mess with SWG and atleast are indicating they will make amends with SWG players. Anyway I think some credit is due. Time will tell all eventually but they are speaking to me as a gamer more so than any other major gaming company making MMORPGs.

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

They had the start of a nice sandbox that had a stable-ish player base.

Instead of keeping it up to prove to other developers that such a game can work over the long run, they castrated it.  Essentially by doing this they put the genre years behind in developement, since sadly lots of developers are forced to draw too much inspiration from other MMOs.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234

didn't lucas pull the plus on the contract for galaxies? not soe.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by gorro187

Technically I think the contract for the star wars licence and SWTOR was the final nail yes but it was SOEs handling of SWG well before than which first began to upset people. People were up in arms when they made fundamental changes to the game.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by gorro187

This is true. But you misunderstand one thing...

SWG was ruined long before the doors were shut. The game you hear the vets moan and groan about was the first iteration of SWG. It was absolutely amazing and immersive. It had its balance problems yes, but what game does not?

Then, there was the CU. This hurt the game absolutely, but it could have survived... in a war veteran with a limp sort of way.

Then, there was the final nail in the coffin. The NGE. This turned SWG into something unrecognizable and pathetic.

Edit;

Also; i feel its very important to add another note alot of players that didnt get to experience the game might be quite suprised of. It wasnt because we all ran around with a lightsaber. In the fun times, the lightsabers didnt exist, or were extremely extremely rare and if so, you wouldnt brandish it in public. This might sound confusing, just stating facts. Jedi could have never been added (and some warned against it) and the game would have still been something that has yet to be recreated in any fashion.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Well tell that to all the customers who are canceling their passes from the canceled games,especially Vanguard  or for the kids Free Realms we could be in for another SWG fiasco not on the same scale but will cause many to boycott SOE who would have otherwise had a pass if Vanguard was still in the package now it's going I won't  contemplate getting a SOE pass now unless that new IP is something special or EQN is actually decent.
    p>
    Originally posted by darker70
    Well tell that to all the customers who are canceling their passes from the canceled games,especially Vanguard  or for the kids Free Realms we could be in for another SWG fiasco not on the same scale but will cause many to boycott SOE who would have otherwise had a pass if Vanguard was still in the package now it's going I won't  contemplate getting a SOE pass now unless that new IP is something special or EQN is actually decent.

That's fair criticism. No one likes it when there games die. I didn't consider it as I'm not a fan of either games and don't have a SOE pass. That said my understanding was that despite a diehard group those games just weren't receiving enough support ie, they weren't making money, is that true? If so I can fault them no more than I fault EA for shutting down warhammer but I also didn't like that and wasn't a fan of it.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

They wouldn't have just gone changing things around if people hadn't started quitting before CU1.  I think people forget that.  They were trying to save an already sinking ship.  It wasn't like the game was bustling with people before CU1 hit, it was dying, slowly.  There was less and less PVP to be had, and my son the roleplayer said he had less and less roleplay.

The only problem I have with SWG was the fact they announced it.  Had 2 weeks of a wanna be beta where tons of players were screaming it wasn't ready, and they ignored it and launched it right after putting out an expansion that everyone just bought.  It was on purpose so they could grab as much as they could before the ship finally sailed.

I actually played SWG MORE toward the end of the lifespan then Pre CU, after they added so much stuff to do, like dungeons, actual working pvp ranks, Bunkers, etc, I was having way more fun playing a medic then I did playing a combat medic.  Jedi being frequent didn't bother me.  I play the game to have fun, not to worry about if others are playing Jedi or if it breaks the exact timeline.   If they had just left the game alone until it was at the state it was at a year or two before they shut it down and then showed it to the public I feel like the reception would have been 100% different, even with the removal of one of my favorite class systems...  btw anyone else remember the balancing nightmare that class system was?  Rose colored glasses sometimes I think get the better of us. 

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't care what game companies have done in the past. The people that built their past games may not even work there anymore. 

I care about what they're making and if it's going to be fun.

Imagine..

Logging into your game. You happened to log out the night before in your home, and upon log in you happily find a whole crowd of new players that you have never even met standing at your vendors looking at your goods that will not match any other crafter on the whole server.

You say hello to everyone and tell them if they need any assistance or have any special orders they would like to request to let you know, or your NPC vendors would have already told them and thanked them for their visit. You head out the door to maybe tame a few baby creatures, maybe a rancor or a graul to bring back to town and sell and upon your exit there is an overt imperial trying to enter your home to browse your popular vendors. He doesnt know this popular weaponsmith shop is actually secretly owned by the rebellion, and not just any rebel. One that despises filthy dark sided imperials.

He needs a new weapon because he tried to repair his and wasnt so lucky this time. You, being one of the elite weaponsmiths of the server, and a die hard rebel flash a wicked grin and proceed to beat this imperials ass all the way back to the city. Fights here are long and can go either way, depending on your buffs and battle fatigue.

On the edge of the city, hes radioed for help and a team of stinking imperials are on their way to reinforce their friend. Little do they know just who is on his tail however. 3 of his buddies show up just in time as he incapacitates and you cant quite get in for a deathblow. Only a master rifleman can do that from a distance, and you, currently spec'd for defense stacking down 2 more before the 3rd and last wears you down and comes in for a death blow.

On his walk of victory, nearly dead with only a few health points left, he trots up to your body and wants to talk a little shit and brag about how you might have took on a group, but he was the one that brought you down. While hes basking in his glory, a newbie rebel with not even a full skill line decides to go overt and show his faction pride, and one shots this filthy imperial scum with a t21 rifle while you stand back up and death blow him first.

You decide to take the newbie with you to tame a few rancor babies and show him the ropes. Little does he know the friend hes made.

And we were best of buddies from then on.

Just a story i like to remember =)

Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't care what game companies have done in the past. The people that built their past games may not even work there anymore. 

I cannot say I don't hold grudges so I don't agree. It's quite possible it's a business culture problem even if the same people didn't work there the same problems could exist. Anyway with what you said in mind, what do you think of EQN and EQNL? Also do you make anything of this game which we know even less about?

• If they can bring back the SWG that we all loved, with modern graphics the expected modern MMO features, then I'll forgive them. They've impressed me with EQN-L and EQN.

I'll be following this announcement closely, but I've been burned way too many times in the past to hold my breath completely.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by zenryoku

If they can bring back the SWG that we all loved, with modern graphics the expected modern MMO features, then I'll forgive them. They've impressed me with EQN-L and EQN.

I'll be following this announcement closely, but I've been burned way too many times in the past to hold my breath completely.

was just talking to my son about this.  The game as it was right when the lights went out (Since we enjoyed the end game a lot more then pre-cu but still played both), atmospheric flight, all the instances and crafting, I still like older creature handler more then the beast handler system, but I understand the change at least.  Put it in the voxel based engine that EQN / EQNL are using and keep all the city building just allow destruction.  Add a Z axis, and I will literally fly back to San Diego, drive to Sorrento Valley and deliver them each a 6 pack of their choice for the team.

but since they can't/won't, ill settle for eqn for now until we see where this new mmo ip is going the ama brought up.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Originally posted by tristanryan

Imagine..

Logging into your game. You happened to log out the night before in your home, and upon log in you happily find a whole crowd of new players that you have never even met standing at your vendors looking at your goods that will not match any other crafter on the whole server.

You say hello to everyone and tell them if they need any assistance or have any special orders they would like to request to let you know, or your NPC vendors would have already told them and thanked them for their visit. You head out the door to maybe tame a few baby creatures, maybe a rancor or a graul to bring back to town and sell and upon your exit there is an overt imperial trying to enter your home to browse your popular vendors. He doesnt know this popular weaponsmith shop is actually secretly owned by the rebellion, and not just any rebel. One that despises filthy dark sided imperials.

He needs a new weapon because he tried to repair his and wasnt so lucky this time. You, being one of the elite weaponsmiths of the server, and a die hard rebel flash a wicked grin and proceed to beat this imperials ass all the way back to the city. Fights here are long and can go either way, depending on your buffs and battle fatigue.

On the edge of the city, hes radioed for help and a team of stinking imperials are on their way to reinforce their friend. Little do they know just who is on his tail however. 3 of his buddies show up just in time as he incapacitates and you cant quite get in for a deathblow. Only a master rifleman can do that from a distance, and you, currently spec'd for defense stacking down 2 more before the 3rd and last wears you down and comes in for a death blow.

On his walk of victory, nearly dead with only a few health points left, he trots up to your body and wants to talk a little shit and brag about how you might have took on a group, but he was the one that brought you down. While hes basking in his glory, a newbie rebel with not even a full skill line decides to go overt and show his faction pride, and one shots this filthy imperial scum with a t21 rifle while you stand back up and death blow him first.

You decide to take the newbie with you to tame a few rancor babies and show him the ropes. Little does he know the friend hes made.

"Imagine .." :D

Those old ads for SWG classic were awesome. I don't think you can have ads like that and stories like yours with just any MMO concept either. They emphasis freedom within a deep and complex virtual world. Maybe I have rose tainted glasses but hey, I didn't even get to play SWG before the .... hit the fan. My only experience with it is from the ads, stories such as yours and an incomplete emulator years after (relatively recently actually). The swgemu I liked better than what SWG became too mind you.

@ OP i wish you could have been there. I have many more stories but im not going to clog up your thread. This was a game like no other. From the crafting, to gather resources with harvestors and sampling, and these resources were finite and would change often to never appear ever again, to multiple planets and cities and player homes and bars filled with dancers in sexy clothing and provacative dancing to heal your wounds and give you buffs to elite creatures to player cities and actual politicians and creature taming, space ships and dog fighting and actual travel system where you would wait for a shuttle and actually converse with others and make friends to exploration and so many other things i could list.

That we had a game that included these things are not what amazes me. What amazes me is its been damn near 15 years and not one game has even came close? Thats what i dont get.

Smedley can be devious and trickster. I hope hes for real this time.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by tristanryan

Imagine..

Can you imagine putting in months of play time, being lucky enough to have your toon be a rare force sensitive charecter, go though all the hoopla of actualy becoming one of the rare jedi in the game....and have your lightsaber do 1-1 damage, no matter how many you craft? Then calling SoE and opening multiple tkts, only to be told that it was a "known issue" which didnt have an estimated time of resolution?

Can you also imagine traveling along in your speeder, then all of a sudden appear inside someone's house due to popup, then not being able to open the door to exit, because you dont have permissions to said persons house, have to open a tkt with support, and wait approx 5 days before you could play the game again?

These are just some of the memories I have of SWG....

(PS: I actualy broke a 100$ mouse over the 1-1 damage lightsaber issue....iv never been so upset due to a videogame in my entire 29 year life)

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by anemo

They had the start of a nice sandbox that had a stable-ish player base.

Instead of keeping it up to prove to other developers that such a game can work over the long run, they castrated it.  Essentially by doing this they put the genre years behind in developement, since sadly lots of developers are forced to draw too much inspiration from other MMOs.

Then again, the MMO scene was very different back then. It was when everyone saw WoW's success, and figured they had to use the same model.

Luckily, with the numerous amount of WoW-clones failing, it has opened their eyes to the fact that people do not want those types of MMOs. The demand for sandbox games is absolutely huge. Look at all the indie titles (not all are MMORPGs, mind you) that have large sales, and these companies want a part of that.

Hopefully this means good things for the future of MMO development. The money is there waiting to be made, someone just has to come along and make the game. 

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    An old saying comes to mind, "a fool and his money will soon be parted".
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by ozmono

I cannot say I don't hold grudges so I don't agree. It's quite possible it's a business culture problem even if the same people didn't work there the same problems could exist. Anyway with what you said in mind, what do you think of EQN and EQNL? Also do you make anything of this game which we know even less about?

As a SWG vet, I was an SOE hater fro a long time. Then I realized SOE is making some fun games and I've been missing out because of some game I wouldn't have been playing now anyway. I gave up holding grudges against companies and judge each game on it's own merits now.

What do I think of EQN/EQN:L ? They look fun, they're free so there's really no harm in trying them out. If I enjoy it, I'll spend money on it. If not I'll play something else. I really can't lose.

Too early to tell what their "SWG" like game is going to be, but ..same thing with every game. If it looks fun, I'll play it.

I don't care what game companies have done in the past. The people that built their past games may not even work there anymore.  I care about what they're making and if it's going to be fun.

As a SWG vet, I was an SOE hater fro a long time. Then I realized SOE is making some fun games and I've been missing out because of some game I wouldn't have been playing now anyway. I gave up holding grudges against companies and judge each game on it's own merits now.

What do I think of EQN/EQN:L ? They look fun, they're free so there's really no harm in trying them out. If I enjoy it, I'll spend money on it. If not I'll play something else. I really can't lose.

Too early to tell what their "SWG" like game is going to be, but ..same thing with every game. If it looks fun, I'll play it.

Please tell me these fun games you speak of?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Betaguy

All the F2P garbage they put out has nothing to do with fun, unless you consider buying cash shop items fun then they are pretty good.

Originally posted by Fearum

All the F2P garbage they put out has nothing to do with fun, unless you consider buying cash shop items fun then they are pretty good.

EQN will join the club as well. Can't wait to see the reactions when people see the money they will have to spend to enjoy the game. It's an SOE title, they only fool themselves thinking it would be anything else.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

EQN will join the club as well. Can't wait to see the reactions when people see the money they will have to spend to enjoy the game. It's an SOE title, they only fool themselves thinking it would be anything else.

EQN or any SOE title for that matter really has nothing attractive for me to play any of their there cash shop games. I will still be avoiding them like the plague.

The other few in the thread seem to want to kiss their ass now because they said something about SWG lol. Fine by me, if you think they are going to give you something good, I wouldn't wish for much. Like that saying wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what fills up first. 

EQN or any SOE title for that matter really has nothing attractive for me to play any of their there cash shop games. I will still be avoiding them like the plague.

The other few in the thread seem to want to kiss their ass now because they said something about SWG lol. Fine by me, if you think they are going to give you something good, I wouldn't wish for much. Like that saying wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what fills up first. 

Smedley is obviously drunk telling lies to help build his rep back. He will always be a turd, he should take his old butt and retire to mars.

Almost forgot send Richard garriot with him too.

I really couldn't care less if you agree with my opinion of a game. If you want to hate them hate them, it will have zero effect on what I decide to play.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

SWG......

VG...........

NEVER FORGET

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave