Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is easiest/cheapest way to increase MMO playing performance??

is it buying some more RAM?? what?

i have a semi-old comp, pent 4 and like 35Gig memory, nto sure if any of that even affects it, im pretty illiterate.  i would, however, liek tob e able to run a game with minimal lag, if i coudl get soem cheap upgrades that'd b helpful

thanks for suggestions

Comments

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

OS?

Xp has a few lil tricks to increase RAM output.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• patheospatheos Member Posts: 1,148

such as...?

• ScorpesScorpes Member Posts: 830

Bit unsure what your asking, what do you mean as lag? Lag is usually referred to as a network disruption between your computer and another computer causing stuttering, warping, lost connection, or other strange behavior. The only thing that usually improves lag is some tweaks to your modem but usually its the line itself causing it. That or the servers internet connection is at fault.

Another form of lag might be computer lag caused by not enough ram, do you enter crowded areas, everything almost freezes and your hard drive starts ramping up like mad? then yes its almost certainly a ram issue. A minimum of 512k ram, but with more graphical mmo's you should get 1gig of ram to avoid your computer reading off its hard drive.

If you mean poor fps, "frames per second" theirs not much you can really do other than keep lowering resolution/graphics quality, and upgrading your video card to its latest drivers. The usual fix for this is buying a newer video card.

Explain exactly what specs you are running, a p4 with what hz, what video card and how much ram do you have? You state you have 35gig of memory, that sounds like a hard drive not motherboard ram.

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

Here's one.

Control panel/add/remove progs/add/remove windows components

uncheck indexing service and anything else you don't use and feel comfortable not using.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• dolente20dolente20 Member Posts: 36
    aight ill look some of this up adn b back in a few, thanks

1.8Ghz, 256MB of RAM

I'm thinking my problem is RAM, becuase of what was said about laggy in town areas, with lots of people, plus u recommended over 500 as a minimum and, i got 256.  What is the price range on an improvement with RAM?

Well for an older 1.8ghz p4, ummm 1 gig should only run you about 50-100 dollars, you could go 512mb but 1gig isnt that much more. You need to find out what kind of ram you motherboard takes, if you dont have that information, tell us exactly what motherboard you have. We would need the Manufacturer, and the exact model number, with that ill look for compatible ram for you.

Also, going this route you should ditch the current 256mb ram stick you are using now. It will almost certainly cause conflicts with your newer ram. Unless you go with just upgrading to 512mb, then you should try the newer ram with the older ram to see if your system is stable. Otherwise if you go with the 1gig of ram the extra 256mb of ram will have no effect, in fact it might slow your system down.

It's a Dell, Dimension 8200. 
     Your in luck then, Dell has a webpage for people buying upgrades and it filters for you what ram works and you can purchase it directly from Dell. That way you shouldnt run into any conflicts.
    aight, thank you very much for all your help
  • brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Ram definately is the easiest solution. Secondary to that, high speed internet if you don't have it. Even if you do, check with your ISP to see if they offer a faster service. My cable company has 2 speeds. 768mb/sec and 3mb/sec, and there's quite a noticeable difference in performance. Also, it's only like $8/mo more for the 3 meg.

i took your advice and looked on the webpage.

It says that the only available one is 512mb, unfortunatly no 1 gig, and th eprice seems a lil higher than u suggested, more liek $300.  I wanna make sure this is the right thing.  Also, there are two types of the 512mb ram, and I don't know which one is for me.

Also, there is a fairly cheap piece of regular hard drive memory that ups it to 80GB, that sonyl like $90, so what affect does something like that have, increasing from 35GB to 80GB.

Here is the address for the items compatable with my system:

(The variations and other memory upgrade are links to the right of the picture.)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=A0276519&Page=memconfigproductlisting.aspx&spagenum=1&items_per_page=10&orderby=final_price&sortdirection=&image_flag=False&show_summary=True&category_id=&brandid=&mnfsku=&SearchType=&Pageb4Search=&ModelSelection=&iCompatid=121448&selectiontypeids=&l=en&c=us&cs=19&SubmitSearch=&servicetag=&ManufactSelection=&ModelName=&category_name=&RPU=&reset=True&k=&mnf=&prst=&prEnd=&InStock=&refurbished=&fe=

Again, thank you very much