Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG PLAYERS - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU

Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

When asked if he could relaunch a shutdown title, Smedley responded:

"SWG. I would do everything differently.

SWG Players - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICASTED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now."

Sounds interesting for all the disenfranchised SWG vets out there. Notice he's referring to a title not announced yet. This is not EQN/EQNL.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The bitter SWG vets have sworn to never touch anything made by Sony Online Entertainment or John Smedley.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    What's dedicasted mean. Is that where they lure all the SWG vets into a room then freeze them in carbonite ?
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    What's dedicasted mean. Is that where they lure all the SWG vets into a room then freeze them in carbonite ?

I figured it was a new kind of sport fishing...

But who knows? Maybe it's for real. In a world where SWTOR can make money surely Smedley can live up to a game promise too.  This is the beginnings of the age of optimism.

*looks entirely innocent.*

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If he doesn't deliver, will he be the most hated man in gaming?

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Yes please.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

But who knows? Maybe it's for real. In a world where SWTOR can make money surely Smedley can live up to a game promise too.  This is the beginnings of the age of optimism.

The best parts of swg had nothing at all to do with star wars. They could easily remake that into a modern sci-fi game with some updated mechanics/graphics and just leave out the laser sword wielding magic users and it would probably be even more popular now.

The jedi where probably the second worst thing they added to the game.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I'm not a SWG vet and even I've been burned by SOE before SWG even existed.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

I'm not a SWG vet and even I've been burned by SOE before SWG even existed.

This.  I only ever played swg post nge.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

They should just call it Galaxy Wars or something. The major problem with the original SWG was that it was attached to the Star Wars IP. The game would have been SO much better without Star Wars and George Lucas screwing things up.

"Star Wars" might not have been about Uncle Owen but SWG was. The IP was at complete odds with the vision of the game where players ran bars and built cities from nothing. Having unlockable rare classes was what made the game have meaning. When everyone and their dog can be a Jedi it lost all meaning.

One other thing is SoE should get Raph Koster to design it. It was his genius that brought us Ultima Online and the original SWG. If anyone can make a great game again he can.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    We wont hear of this game for a long time since they are focusing on EQN at the moment
  • ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80
    I never played SWG and I only beta tested TOR briefly before being turned off by it. I'm willing to give Star Wars another shot if they show that they've got their shit together and have learned from the mistakes of the past.

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Best way to approach SOE games (and other MMOs too); believe it when you see it.  I really do think SWG, PS1, PS2 were good games.  But SOE has a lot of broken promises and (#*@ games out too.  So we'll see.  Of course, if a true successor to SWG was made I would play it to no end.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Novusod

They should just call it Galaxy Wars or something. The major problem with the original SWG was that it was attached to the Star Wars IP. The game would have been SO much better without Star Wars and George Lucas screwing things up.

"Star Wars" might not have been about Uncle Owen but SWG was. The IP was at complete odds with the vision of the game where players ran bars and built cities from nothing. Having unlockable rare classes was what made the game have meaning. When everyone and their dog can be a Jedi it lost all meaning.

One other thing is SoE should get Raph Koster to design it. It was his genius that brought us Ultima Online and the original SWG. If anyone can make a great game again he can.

When SWG finally allowed Jedi to be unlocked, that was the beginning of the end, and the whole hologrind madness. They should have steered well clear of it, if they had maybe the game would have still been running today.

While i do hope they can bring about the same kind of game world(s) that we had with SWG, i wouldn't hold my breath, SOE have a reputation, if they truly have something in the works that would bring SWG vets back - which is just a PR stunt at best because firstly, SWG vets aren't that numerous,  and secondly, by now im guessing at least half will have moved on or possibly out of the MMO genre altogether, it was a decade ago after all.

Maybe it will be a chance for SOE to redeem themselves, or at least improve their image. But vague promises don't cut it, and if its some overly cartoonified EQN clone..... then imo, it would be better if they didnt even try. image

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Why do I expect to wake up tomorrow and read Smedley made a tweet: " Sorry SWG Fans, TROLL LOL, no hard feelinz."

PS: Does EA have "exclusive" rights to make Star Wars games for the next several years? If so this is likely to be an original IP title...

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

SWG Players - OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICASTED TO YOU. Once we launch it... you can come home now."

Sounds interesting for all the disenfranchised SWG vets out there. Notice he's referring to a title not announced yet. This is not EQN/EQNL.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for this? I'd like to follow it and see what other information might be available.

• SanctitySanctity Member Posts: 6

I'm sure the SWG crew  would rather play Star Citizen than another SOE game.

They just want their hands in your wallets again.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Smedley delivering more cryptic bullshit to garner excitement.  
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I'm sorry but after what he said about EQ:N being an actual, you know, everquest game... ill believe it when i see it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Why do I expect to wake up tomorrow and read Smedley made a tweet: " Sorry SWG Fans, TROLL LOL, no hard feelinz."

PS: Does EA have "exclusive" rights to make Star Wars games for the next several years? If so this is likely to be an original IP title...

I think it's safe to say this title will have nothing to do with Star Wars. But I think he meant the game play will likely be a new home for SWG fans.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Isn't EQ:N suppose to have crafting as deep as SWG? Smedley and his lying ass can take a seat (EQ:N will be in our hands this year!! Wait...that was last year).

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

So, Sony realized SWG made more money than Vanguard/Wizardry etc. and are now closing those down and woeing the old SWG crowd, what is a few thousand fans when you can have ten thousand right?

Nothing wrong with this, nothing wrong at all...

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Exactly, he'll make a post saying that his facebook account was hacked and it wasn't him saying that.

Is there any video proof of him saying that? I wont believe it till I actually see it from his lips.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Exactly, he'll make a post saying that his facebook account was hacked and it wasn't him saying that.

Is there any video proof of him saying that? I wont believe it till I actually see it from his lips.

Oh, get over it. What would be the gain? Are thousands of SWG fans going to go and buy a shit load of SC in anticipation of this new game!? lol seriously, there is no precedent to suggest he's gonna go claim his Twitter account was hacked.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Blazer6992 Originally posted by Crazy_Stick Why do I expect to wake up tomorrow and read Smedley made a tweet: " Sorry SWG Fans, TROLL LOL, no hard feelinz."
    Exactly, he'll make a post saying that his facebook account was hacked and it wasn't him saying that. Is there any video proof of him saying that? I wont believe it till I actually see it from his lips.  
    Oh, get over it. What would be the gain? Are thousands of SWG fans going to go and buy a shit load of SC in anticipation of this new game!? lol seriously, there is no precedent to suggest he's gonna go claim his Twitter account was hacked.

You underestimate the bitterness of the SWG vet side. Their spite is like a million voices that suddenly cried out and were never silenced.

Smedley is causing a great disturbance in the Internet.