Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Shutting Down July 31, 2014

LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

From the official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads%2Fwith-heavy-hearts-we-announce-the-sunset-for-vanguard.71211%2F

Dear Vanguard players,

I'm sad to announce that on July 31, 2014 we will sunset one of our longest-running games, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. This decision was not easy -- we took much time and consideration before deciding to move forward with this plan.

But here's the deal...player population numbers have decreased making it difficult to justify the resources needed to support and update this game. This is an older game and we're experiencing more and more technical challenges to continue running and updating it in a way you deserve. Simply put, these are issues that cannot be fixed in the long term and as a player, we would be doing you a disservice and going against our company commitment to provide the best gameplay experiences. So given this information, sunsetting the game later this year is the inevitable conclusion.

Again, this is not a decision that we approached lightly or without serious thought and examination. We've grown with you and the community throughout the years and shutting down the game is certainly not ideal, but necessary regardless.

I also want to let current Vanguard members know that we will be upgrading your membership to SOE's new All Access membership. Basically under this new All Access plan, you can continue to enjoy membership benefits in Vanguard until it sunsets, only now, you’ll also have top tier access in our other membership games. It is my hope that by upgrading your membership to All Access, you’ll have an opportunity to explore our other games to see if one is a fit for you. For more info, visit the FAQ here:https://forums.station.sony.com/soe...vised-soe-all-access-program-faq.11500063040/

Vanguard has had an exceptional legacy over the last seven years and I cannot thank you enough for your commitment, support and enthusiasm through the years. We will be providing more information on the game's sunset soon. In the meantime, I will be doing an AMA on Reddit at 3 p.m. today so I encourage you to join in on the conversation with any of your questions. 

Smed

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Copy paste of every shut down SoE game... I feel bad for the fans. You're not going to find a replacement any time soon.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    sad new... i think it was the last good game with eve online.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

This sucks. From what I've seen it's still one of the best themeparks out there and was on my list of games I am planning to give a proper playthrough to (guess I'll have to hurry up now).

I really think it is a game that deserved more players than it has, especially when I think of all the junk MMOs that have way more. But I guess the launch problems and the lack of expansion or update from SOE killed it.

If Mr. McQuaid would make his KS just to buy back Vanguard, fix it up and relaunch it I'd be way more likely to donate

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

It ran a hell of a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

And so passes the last great AAA MMORPG.

I'm truly upset. I'll be playing it nightly until it goes down, so many secrets left to find.

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

Kinda suprising.

I enjoyed my time playing the game for a month after beta.  I was part of the beta and there it was already pretty obvious that McQuaid wanted to create something really different but wasnt able to achieve his goal (mabye to ambitious).

Promising till the end of the beta that the "miracle" patch will solve every problem and design flaw.

Goodbye Vanguard and Rest in Peace.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Hate to see a game that at least some people like get shut down.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Glad this is happening. All the people constantly blathering about how good the game is when they don't even support or play it. Maybe now they won't try to WoWiify every game that has issues.

That game has been taking advantage of gamers wanting the old MMO feel for far too long anyways. I also wonder if it's a SoE strategy to remind everyone of how Brad McQuaid's projects end up. Would be a smart move honestly, as Pantheon is a possible threat to the Everquest franchise. Especially with how bad Smed has ruined it over the years.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Condolences to the fans.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lidane

I will be doing an AMA on Reddit at 3 p.m. today so I encourage you to join in on the conversation with any of your questions. 

Smed

sorry to see VG go

I am curious about the ama

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Well damn! I just got home and read about the news. It's a terrible thing to do to such a great game. Especially after all the great time I invested in it. There will not be any other game out there that will fill the void. I'm probably going to go back to playing Ultima Online at this rate.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

A truly awful release, one that was much worse than SWG.  Massive amounts of bugs, unfinished areas that stayed unfinished for years, and huge technical problems.  It was barely playable, and people just flat out left in droves.  They changed some things, reworked the character graphics and slowly started to fix things but it was pretty obvious this game would never amount to much in terms of numbers of people playing it.

After a few years, it was actually a decent game.  They started fleshing out the diplomatic system, which stopped at around level 15 or so and then you just had to grind to 50.  The crafting system was not as unfinished as the Diplomat system, so it was a pretty good crafting game from early on. 

The classes were the best thing about this game, they were really well don especially the healer classes.  This game, along with City of Heroes, had the best "healer" archetypes.  The Disciple is still one of the great MMO classes.

This game is more of a cautionary tale of what not to do.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I always feel bad for those who have a game shut down on them. At least the players were given 6 months of notice.
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

So sad :(

How someone can be glad this is happening, I do not know. And you have no idea if people who are talking about the game are playing or not. So sad.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

From the official forums:

https://forums.station.sony.com/vg/index.php?threads%2Fwith-heavy-hearts-we-announce-the-sunset-for-vanguard.71211%2F

Dear Vanguard players,

I'm sad to announce that on July 31, 2014 we will sunset one of our longest-running games, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. This decision was not easy -- we took much time and consideration before deciding to move forward with this plan.

But here's the deal...player population numbers have decreased making it difficult to justify the resources needed to support and update this game. This is an older game and we're experiencing more and more technical challenges to continue running and updating it in a way you deserve. Simply put, these are issues that cannot be fixed in the long term and as a player, we would be doing you a disservice and going against our company commitment to provide the best gameplay experiences. So given this information, sunsetting the game later this year is the inevitable conclusion.

Again, this is not a decision that we approached lightly or without serious thought and examination. We've grown with you and the community throughout the years and shutting down the game is certainly not ideal, but necessary regardless.

I also want to let current Vanguard members know that we will be upgrading your membership to SOE's new All Access membership. Basically under this new All Access plan, you can continue to enjoy membership benefits in Vanguard until it sunsets, only now, you’ll also have top tier access in our other membership games. It is my hope that by upgrading your membership to All Access, you’ll have an opportunity to explore our other games to see if one is a fit for you. For more info, visit the FAQ here:https://forums.station.sony.com/soe...vised-soe-all-access-program-faq.11500063040/

Vanguard has had an exceptional legacy over the last seven years and I cannot thank you enough for your commitment, support and enthusiasm through the years. We will be providing more information on the game's sunset soon. In the meantime, I will be doing an AMA on Reddit at 3 p.m. today so I encourage you to join in on the conversation with any of your questions. 

Smed

Vanguard fans, come on over guys and get this off the ground!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

The timing on this seems quite interesting.........and not necessarily a bad thing if you get what I am saying.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Poor players, and so goes another one the way of CoH.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

It is sad for those who actually did play and pay. It always is.

There are always just so many good games out there despite the common sentiment on this forum. I find playing more than 1 MMO at a time hard despite the fact that there are many more than 1 I could see myself enjoying. I've enjoyed the maybe 50 hours I have put into Vanguard but it was always a back burner game. Kind of regret that now.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

SOE is going further, actually. They're not just shutting down Vanguard. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Free Realms, and Wizardry Online are also gone:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/soe-shuttering-vanguard-clone-wars-free-realms-and-wizardry/

Looks like they're clearing house of everything that's not EverQuest related.

Sorry someone was faster
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

Glad this is happening. All the people constantly blathering about how good the game is when they don't even support or play it. Maybe now they won't try to WoWiify every game that has issues.

Why would players "support" a game that has almost no development staff, or advertising?

SOE is going further, actually. They're not just shutting down Vanguard. Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Free Realms, and Wizardry Online are also gone:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/soe-shuttering-vanguard-clone-wars-free-realms-and-wizardry/

Well shit, Wizardry is probably one of the most underrated MMOs I've ever played. Amazing design.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

That said, soe kinda promised a lot with the relaunch of vanguard. But we did not see a lot of it. Their starting f2p model was also poor which turned a lot of players away. Very disappointing, and it feels very half assed by soe. But it is still a unique and great game worth having around.

Soe just loves bad press.

• vonshizvonshiz Member Posts: 1
    This is a very sad day. I just came back to the game this week and was having a blast on a character I've played over the years. Made some new great friends like always on VG. Had a blast just running around and seeing the landscape again. Then 6 days after subbing I get this.... What a shame. I will probly be deleteing VG for good tonight. RIP best game I have ever played: console or pc. I will most likely never get to play anything like this again due to the fact that every MMO that comes out now is a single player story line game.
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This is going to be one of those everyone is sad to see it go but no one was actually playing it. ( obviously a few were )

It ran a hell of a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

Yep, this is what happens when people don't put their money where their mouth is. Everyone talks about wanting oldschool, but people don't support that.

It is sad for those who actually did play and pay. It always is.

Or some of us played it for years but moved on to other games. Still sad to see and old friend pass away. No need to be a jerk about it...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Well here we go. I think its a good thing to clear the house and concentrate on EQN and EQNL, hopefully the next big things