Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG should be removed from mmorpg.com

Comments

• ready2riotready2riot Member Posts: 32
    I knew this would start a huge argument.  I should be a pshycic, or however you spell it...
  • jaidenjaiden Member Posts: 35

Sounds like bitterness to me, SWg is a great game shame on you.

MMORPG's ive played
    Earth and Beyond: shut down *tear*
    Jaiden TE lvl 150 +++
    Chikira JE lvl 128
    *World of Warcraft: current
    Tarion lvl 60 hunter
    Anorus lvl 22 Warrior
    *Vendetta-Online: inactive
    Kioal Darkblade 8/8/5/10/9 Overall lvl 40
    "in-development open beta"

• VrielVriel Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by jaiden

I have to admit it. The main reason why I will most likely not re-subscribe is bitterness. I'm bitter about the fact that I(by quiting early, and not selling my stuff before hand) let about 100 krayt tissues go to waste(all of them good ones too), all sorts of collector items, and my collection of atleast 100 uber guns... Not to mention the two houses I had packed full of resources, materials, and other items with nostalgic value. ::::16::

That's about 1.75 years down the drain. I'm very aprehensive about putting time into that game again.

I'm fully aware that this is all my fault... ::::12::

Just another gamer...

• CymekCymek Member Posts: 340

I for one support removing it as a message to SOE that their shady business practices will not be tolerated in the community.

Invalidating thousands of player hours in one fell swoop is the same as ripping people off.

• Zuel41Zuel41 Member Posts: 43

It should be removed for 3 reasons:

1) With the changed, SOE invalidated 2+ years of gaming overnight.  Yes, your toon was still there, but anything you had of value was now worthless.  For those of you that knew SWG, crafting was a huge part of the game.  To get the best gear, it needed to be crafted and crafted with enhancers that were looted.  It took days, weeks and months to loot some of these items.  All of them are now garbage. 

2) The game is no longer a role playing game, it is a multi-player first person shooter.   That alone is grounds for removal IMO.

3) Maybe most importantly, it needs to be removed for SOE's behavior.  Yes, the EULA says that game play may change, but I do not think anyone would have ever considered that the entire game would change.  It needs to be understood by the next company that wants to change their game so drastically that this is a bad thing to do and that it will cost them.  Imagine Blizz revamping WoW and making every purple item you had worthless.  That's what happened with SWG. 

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

SWG is perhaps the most important MMORPG to come out since M59. For good or bad, the developers tried alot of stuff that others could learn from, or not to do.

• nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176

I don't mind the NGE. I never played SWG before the NGE so I can't compare it to anything. So in my eyes it's a decent game. It does have bugs that need to be worked out but so does every game.

I also like SWG because it is a change from the VERY stale fantasy genre. (Yes, I tryed AO. I found the whole gameplay a turn-off. Very laggy almost to the point that it is unbearable.

Until another company can make a good sci-fi MMORPG then I think I'll stick with SWG.

And thank you in advance for the flames.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    And back on topic. It shouldn't be taken down. It is still playable and people still play it.

• KaptainZergKaptainZerg Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    They lied to their customers...a company committing fraud...

I support the spirit of your poll, Zoe. But users of MMORPG.com provide good info about SWG, so the SWG section should stay. Hopefully, gamers who are thinking of playing SWG will read something here that stops them from making a biig mistake.

Your post sparked a good disscussion. We'll never know how many gamers you saved from wasting money and time on SWG. Hundreds of guests visit in these forums but never register, so it could be quite a few.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• amappalaamappala Member UncommonPosts: 159

I understand the angry people are the current SWG player base.

But, as a non-current subscriber of SWG, I applaud SOE stand on major changes to try to attract me back.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by KaptainZerg

Your post sparked a good disscussion. We'll never know how many gamers you saved from wasting money and time on SWG. Hundreds of guests visit in these forums but never register, so it could be quite a few.

Considering that there is a free trial to see if the game is right for you, no one needs to waste a dime. I tried it and while it wasn't for me, I did fiond it a good change for the better and may subscribe in the near future.  Any interested in seeing for themselves and making thier own minds up about whether the changes were good or bad can go here

http://www.starwarsgalaxiesonline.com/content/starwarsgalaxies-freetrial.php

I miss DAoC

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Maybe MMORPG.com should do a new review of the game then. The old rating was based on pre-NGE reviews. Put in their new rating and letthe customers and critics rate it now and see how it stands.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

They have.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    I meant a rating not a review. I know they did the review at the end of November. I misspoke and meant to say the rating on the SWG page. My bad.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

if i know SOE they'll survive this mess and continue to craft SWG into the game they want and people will return to it and more will probably join due to trials. sad but true. :( , the bright side right now would be they wont have to do anymore expansions for EP3 since its released(Rage of the wookies for cinema release & trials of obi wan for dvd release), now they can focus on expansions for the mmorpg itself & the GCW.

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

Whilst it is true that SoE will survive this mess after all they have other games to support and fund them, it won't be without consequences. There is even a rumour going around that NGE will be scraped, but I hold nothing to that. What I will say is that you don't lose a significant percentage of the population in a short space of time and not have any reprecussions. Heads will roll ::::31::

• AterrAterr Member Posts: 2

I gave it a shot. Was not the game I signed up for more than 2years ago. I quit for a while, came back played for a few months, took a couple more months off, then Combat Upgrade (Arrrrrrgggggh!!!) All of my Jedi grinding was nothing (or so I thought) There was a new system in place. Mind you I did not want to be a Full Jedi, only wanted the Uber Boosts to Crafting!!!::::19:: But I adapted and played until my Subscriptions ended.

Why did I quit again? Little Jedi everywhere, and I mean every where ::::27:: Oh, and I was this Level 80 Plus Jedi now... I didn't earn it, it was given. All of my Crafted Items were suddenly junk, NOT all of them, but the really sweet items were.

So, as always, I gave them a shot, and in a month or two, I'll be back to see if want to continue playing.

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60

I disagree that SWG should be removed. It is still an MMO, it may now be an MMOFPS, not an MMORPG, but it's still an MMO.

As far as the game goes. I played it from the start, and played it for over a year. It just got worse and worse as the game got nerfs and changes the players clearly did not want, and the things players asked for never got done. The old system didn't need a re-write, it needed some love and attention.

Now they have something completely different and have forced all their long-time players to effectively go back to square one. And have themselves gone back to square one on bug fixes, balancing, etc.

I saw a game with a lot of potential take the swirly ride down the toilet.

I saw the same thing w/ MxO, SOE bought it and buh-bye subscriber base.

I canceled my subscription to SOE before the NGE, why?, because of the lack of reponse to the community of paying customers. I felt cheated out of my money by SOE long before NGE.

I would send a mesage to them by not removing them. Check out where they are rated, ROFL, they are just above Fairyland, but rated lower than tibia micro edition (an mmo for your mobile phone).
    The only thing that even got them that high on the list was they got high marks for grahpics and sound, other than that they got rated pretty poorly. So basically this game is a big turd wrapped in a pretty package, and by looking at the ratings on MMORPG, I clearly get that message.

I also send them a message by not buying or subscribing to anything with the SOE name on it.

• ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by DamonVile

They didn't lie to anyone. One of the first things they tell you is game play may change during online play. Well it changed...alot ::::11::
    I think what they did to SWG sucks and I'll never buy another SOE MMOG but some shots at them just aren't true :)

DOnt say that.......play EQ2 and your mind about SOE will change, dont think of it as the same company because they are different devs!

Everyone should try EQ2image

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...

• SczenSczen Member Posts: 5
    They never lied. They had to change the underlying premises in order to secure a future for it. It's just business.
  • MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Vriel

Originally posted by jaiden

I have to admit it. The main reason why I will most likely not re-subscribe is bitterness. I'm bitter about the fact that I(by quiting early, and not selling my stuff before hand) let about 100 krayt tissues go to waste(all of them good ones too), all sorts of collector items, and my collection of atleast 100 uber guns... Not to mention the two houses I had packed full of resources, materials, and other items with nostalgic value. ::::16::

That's about 1.75 years down the drain. I'm very aprehensive about putting time into that game again.

I'm fully aware that this is all my fault... ::::12::

I think alot of the bad feelings are for the same reason as what Vriel just stated.  The time wasted and not the game mechanics.  I played SWG at launch and many times after that.  But I never put huge amounts of time into a single character.  I instead tried alot of different combos and just explored alot.  I personally enjoy the NGE style.  I realize its not for everyone but it is a refreshing change to what is out there currently and it does feel more like Star Wars. 

I remember before when people were complaining about how SWG was just Everquest in space, because it played similar with the whole auto attack, mixed with special skill button hitting in combat.  Now it is fast pace like the movies but yet there are still complaints.  It like they can't win. 

For good or bad every developer only does what they think will be the best for a game.  People get involved in the game industry due to their love of games and want to put out the best product possible.  They wanted to make it more like Star Wars because of all the criticisms that came before.  Yeah it was kind of like Everquest in space only with a skill system as opposed to a class system.

Is the NGE SWG perfect?  No its not.  I have encountered bugs too but it will only get better.  All I know is that I  am having fun with it as are many others.  There were a good bit of people on last night.  I truthfully did not notice any less then when I played before.

I do feel for all of you who were turned off by the whole change.  Especially all of those who grinded their Jedis.  Hopefully they will make servers with the old ruleset to go along side the NGE ones.

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by Obadno
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    They didn't lie to anyone. One of the first things they tell you is game play may change during online play. Well it changed...alot
    I think what they did to SWG sucks and I'll never buy another SOE MMOG but some shots at them just aren't true :)
    DOnt say that.......play EQ2 and your mind about SOE will change, dont think of it as the same company because they are different devs!
    Everyone should try EQ2image

Your blatant EQ2 fanboiism is starting to get immensely annoying Obadno.

I don't think SWG should be removed from mpog.com, yes, SOE have fucked up, but it has not yet reached Mourning levels of dirtydealingness. And the fact that it's still an MMO, and I don't think any of the dev's have asked for any of the poster's IPs.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I am glad this sparked so much discussion and that alot of it is constructive.

I can see the side of things that say SWG should stay here on mmorpg.com. But my position will probably always be that SOE did commit fraud in this case as they ripped year(s) of playing out from under many players and made the time they spent ingame useless.

In my case I had quit pre-CU, came back for a little while and was one of the few who actually liked the CU :P But I had again been inactive for awhile and was thinking of reactivating and going back to being a BE again like I was in my early days of the game. When I first read about the NGE I really truly thought it was a joke. I couldn't see any way this Torres guy could really be serious about those types of changes and be so condescing about them like all the players were complete idiots. In any case the NGE made me not reactivate and not even try the game despite the 15 days free. It is not the same game anymore and shouldn't have the same name, imo.

Also SOE should be made to face some consequences for what they have done. If we as players let them get away with this then any game company will assume they can walk all over their paying customers because we will stupidly keep coming back and keep paying no matter what they do. I may also play EQ2 again but it is with great trepidation and with no faith that the game will remain the same game.

• NiksenNiksen Member Posts: 66

SWG was the greatest game, you could do anything in there.

I had a huge BE busines and i loved it.

btw BE was the greatest crafting thing i ever saw, it was an artform to be any good at it and even i played BE since launch, i still had stuff to learn about it.

then came space and jedi stuff and the busines died out and servers lost loads of players when wow came along. Then i quit my beloved game.

Couldnt soe give out the source code for the old game pre-space and i would love to put up a server.

brgds

• bareshdracobareshdraco Member Posts: 54

OK, I do not believe SWG should be removed from mmorpg.

Furthermore I do believe that people should take advantage of the free trials as it may appeal to them. You can't knock it or defend it unless you try it.

As a former vet, I can honestly say so long as SOE are involved, I will never go back to SWG. It was in my opinion the best game of all time, regardless of the genre of game. A thriving self economy, great character diversity, multiple professions and the ability to change them to keep your character and the game fresh and most importantly - a thriving server population. The game had it all, and it also had a number of bugs, balance issues and the content of the game needed soem tweaking to ensure people kept an interest.

What SOE and LA did to the game with the CU and NGE is nothing short of a disgrace.

The most disturbing and frankly disappointing thing was the attitude towards its existing customer base. If for no other reason, SWG must remain on the forums to ensure the former players are able to pass on our experiences of the customer service potential SWG players can expect.

I would encourage anyone to try the game but be aware that before you consider spending your money, the existing player base has been treated in appalling fashion by SOE and LA in a desperate attempt to attract new players. I personally do not understand the logic behind losing a guaranteed source of income for the chance of attracting a newer income. Surely common and business sense would be to retain whaty you have, and build on that to attract further income.

Please be aware that the game has undergone 2 major re-developments in 12 months and the existing playerbase has been given 2 options, live with it or leave. No consideration or consultation that I am aware of has taken place, although SOE claim to have consulted the players extensively. (Strangely none of the 'phantom consultation group' has come forward and admitted to approving these changes)

Given my experience, I would expect another major revamp or the game being dropped altogether within the next 6 months, and you can be sure that the existing customers will not be aware of what is going on until the last possible minute.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Can people stop beating on SWG already? It's like you don't have anything better to do than cry about how SWG is no longer the game you used to play...