Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO were you incredibly hyped for, but disappointed by more than any other?

Comments

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

SWTOR.  I followed its development closely and participated heavily in the pre-release forums going all the way back to the beginning, so it wasn't exactly that I got hyped, played it, and then felt let down.  When the game was announced I had some pretty high expectations for what the game could be.  By the time it launched, I was already more disappointed than I've ever been about a game.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

GW2 and Neverwinter. 

GW2 level too fast and I nailed down 100% exploration in 2 weeks and had a couple lvl 80 toons.  It went from level super quick to hard stop for the endgame gear grind.  W.vs.W seem small and the keeps auto repaired on capture... no one held keeps just kept flipping them.  There were some good things about the game, but I didn't like fractals, that meant there was no end game for me.

Neverwinter... I don't even know what I expected, apparently too much on almost every front.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I was pretty hyped for Conan, after watching the sieges and stuff that the devs showed, man i couldnt wait. Then the game came out sieges never worked right, alot of the stuff they said would be in the game wasnt. some stuff NEVER made it into the game and it even says its in there on the box.

but I did have alot of fun in the game leveling up because it was open pvp. that made it alot of fun for me fighting over hunting spots and quest. but once you reach max level there was just nothing to do. and max level wasnt hard to reach at all, i remember people bitching and crying that they had to grind some mobs to level but really it was easy.

it was really another game that was to easy to level in and once you reach max they didnt have enough for people to do.

But the one that takes the cake is GW2, i was really looking forward to WvWvW. and oh man was a disaster that was.  Zerg Wars 2 has to be some of the worst pvp i have ever seen. but still not as bad as star wars huttball.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Age of Conan..

first 20 levels open beta got me totally hyped..

And then we moved on from tortage to find out the rest of the game was totally unfinished.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Definitely GW2.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I spent about 2 years hyping myself up about Star Wars Galaxies, only to be totally let down by it when I actually played it.  To be fair, it had some great ideas in it, and I still think it's the greatest design of an MMO ever made.  They just released way too early and it hurt them in the long run.

Other than that - I spent something like 5 years hyping myself up about Age of Conan.  I didn't even make it out of my first free month.  That's the game that made me learn my lesson.  No matter how good it looks or how awesome it seems by word of mouth.... don't let yourself get worked up about it.  In the end, this game was disappointing because the lead designer just down-right lied about a lot of stuff until the last minute.  He was fired within the first six months of Live if I'm not mistaken.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs

I spent about 2 years hyping myself up about Star Wars Galaxies, only to be totally let down by it when I actually played it.  To be fair, it had some great ideas in it, and I still think it's the greatest design of an MMO ever made.  They just released way too early and it hurt them in the long run.

Sounds like you waited too long. They totally screwed it up with the CU then the NGE finished it off for good.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

SwToR At the time I was a huge fan of several Bioware single player games.  Love Dragon Age Origins, but I was very disappointed with DA2 so I held off on the Star Wars game until I got to play someone on my friends version. Was a huge let down, I had been waiting for years on that one,

AoC like a lot of you because of how fun Tortage was, I was not expecting that huge drop off as soon as it was done. Then all the crafting was a huge mess,

Vanguard Was really looking forward to that one but Population nose dived and that was that.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    Cata expansion for WoW.  From hyped fan to gone in less than 30 days.
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I'm seeing a lot of GW2 in this thread. I remember everyone talking about it, then suddenly it fell off the radar.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Guild Wars 2. After hype turned to be complete disappointment. Quit after 6 month and never return, nor will ever.
  • ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

SWTOR hands down.

The stories seemed okay, but they hyped all the wrong stuff  - silly things like oooh we got stars to do the voice acting. Such a waste of development money. I didn't stay past my initial 6 month sub. Everything I read about the F2P restrictions, their decision to stall on character storylines, and the exploitive cartel market resulted in my never going back.

Sadly, I think the game is poorly designed and too linear, the planets were quite dull, and many quests were grindy. If they'd created a SWG2 instead of a rinse repeat Wow variant,. they could have had a blockbuster on their hands. Unfortunately, of all the MMOs I've played, it ended up being the most dull. I didn't finish any of the storylines because of the grinding between segments. I think the game should have been released as a solo player rpg like Dragon Age. Maybe I wasn't taken by it because I'm not a huge Star Wars fan in the first place. ;) It's pretty much a niche game mostly for Star Wars fans.

Originally posted by GPrestige
    I'm seeing a lot of GW2 in this thread. I remember everyone talking about it, then suddenly it fell off the radar.

Don't get us wrong, it was fun... briefly. As I mentioned earlier I blew through the PVE and PVP content in a couple weeks and didn't feel like the living story was enough to come back for.  It's fun to play for a month riding the leveling bullet train for every class but after that it's "meh".

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    For me it is ESO i was so excited  to go back to daggerfall which was my first and most fave of them all daggerfall was  beyond words at the time when it came out so then i get to try ESO was so excited,  I was this is it finely did what i been asking for bring elderscroll to online  then bamtry it what run into invisible wallls telling me i am not skilled or high  lv to enter  and then the TAB target system  i was  heartbrken on that right there no elderscrolls combat what  then i felt like i was playing guildwars 2 with a new skin  when in combat  was very upset and still to this day i am
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Have to go along with the majority on this one. Title=GW2 in a nutshell for me. Maybe not the worst game in the world but so much hype followed by such a let down.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Star Wars Galaxies.

oddly enough, there was a reason it was bleeding subs, and then they took a hatchet to it..

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Age of Conan, when I encountered the same bugs and borked mechanics in open beta as I had seen in Alpha. Well I cancelled my boxed copy and never played it.
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Star Wars Galaxies.

oddly enough, there was a reason it was bleeding subs, and then they took a hatchet to it..

No, I think you were more accurate before the grammar correction.  I'm pretty sure they roofed a hatchet to it. :P

Best mental picture ever.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    Originally posted by Marcus-

Star Wars Galaxies.

No, I think you were more accurate before the grammar correction.  I'm pretty sure they roofed a hatchet to it. :P

Best mental picture ever.

Spellcheck, what can I say...

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Age of Conan, I expected AO, I got WoW... The let down of that one...
  • DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

Easy. Guild Wars 2. There was so much good being said about that game while it was in development. Simply said: we were lied to. And loads of us were so desperate for a good MMO that we fell for it. Still kick my self in the butt for buying in to all that crap. But we live and learn :)

Honorable mentions:

-Vangard. Had high hopes, but luckily didn't fall for it. Was hoping it would be the next big sandbox.

-Imperator. The game got canned, but I was super excited about it. Setting just pulled me right in.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    GW2

What they offered and what they delivered were not in the same ball park.
  • MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81

AC2

Vanguard

UO post Trammel

AO launch

Wow, I'm getting old.

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

1)   SWTOR - I even bought the Collectors Edition ! The rubbish AI of the NPCs makes this game unplayable for me.

2)   Darkfall's re-release - If it had been kept as it was, I'd still be playing !  I used to live on the isolated islands - ALL of them were removed so players could never get away from the PvP arena.

3)    Eve Online since 2008. Separating Eve Online, DUST 514 and Valkyrie into different games has been a disappointment. They should all be within the same game and one character should be able to do everything.

4)    WoW since 2008. I used to play a glass cannon Fire Mage, but this was nerfed via the simplification of the talent system into impotent AoE or 'crowd control' roles - both of them a total bore to play and it takes too long to kill anything. 

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    NO! swtor maybe but I didn't buy it I knew it will be crap