Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any EQ, VG or EQ2 players excited about the Pantheon kickstarter?

Just wondering if anyone whose played EQ, VG or EQ2 is pumped about the possibility of Brad McQuaid making a new MMO in the old school vein?  

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    With the budget he is aiming for?  No.  They are aiming for 800,000; it would have been extremely difficult to make a decent single player game for that ten years ago, making a decent MMORPG now?  Not likely, even if you had the best devs in the world.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TrustmeimalwyrTrustmeimalwyr Member Posts: 6
    Well...that was constructive.  lol.  Notwithstanding the lying POS part, is anyone at least pumped at the idea of a classic old school type of MMO?  I mean, McQuaid aside, does Pantheon even sound interesting to anyone?
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Hell yes I am, I still play Vanguard and EQ2. I cannot wait to see this puppy shine! People slam both EQ2 and Vanguard but they are by far the best MMO's out there!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Trustmeimalwyr
    Well...that was constructive.  lol.  Notwithstanding the lying POS part, is anyone at least pumped at the idea of a classic old school type of MMO?  I mean, McQuaid aside, does Pantheon even sound interesting to anyone?

You're wasting time trying to drum up interest here.  It would be like going to a harley convention and trying to convince them to be excited about a new honda bike.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Caz - First things first.  Awesome call on the Dark Helmet quote!; Love Spaceballs!  ha.  I think the 800k goal is just to get things started and to show that people have interest in the game; it looks like they would use it to show potential investors that people want this type of game and that it should be made.  So I don't think they'd make the game off of just 800k.  Although I do kind of wonder how much the original EQ was made for...TO THE GOOGLE SEARCH TAB!
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Trustmeimalwyr

I have to agree, though I'd like an old school group-centric game...one with a meager budget will not appeal to me.  They would need about $80M to do it right, not $800k.

• banecrowbanecrow Member UncommonPosts: 93

Looks interesting.

People forget though that they are not going to make the game with just that 800k, they need to show enough interest in the game so that investors will back the project also. That is where the real money is at, the kickstarter is just to show it can be possible.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Yep no way around it, super excited, im still playing EQ  and Vg  but man wish i could sleep for 3-4 years to play Pantheon.

• AlvonuAlvonu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Not a very smart move to support this guy, his past record on various subjects speaks volumes. His kickstarter is lacking.. very poorly thought out.  I wouldn't waste a dime on MCQuaid! Hell he has been quoted as saying it's going to get built even if not crowd funded which makes me ask why did he even try to grab money off people from a kickstarter to begin with? The guy is super shadey.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    With the budget he is aiming for?  No.  They are aiming for 800,000; it would have been extremely difficult to make a decent single player game for that ten years ago, making a decent MMORPG now?  Not likely, even if you had the best devs in the world.

Bigger budget has, in my opinion, led to worse MMOs over time.

Besides, they're not making the MMO for 800k, they're showing to investors it is viable and has interest, they plan to get additional funding after the Kickstarter.

Design and gameplay >>> Graphics and budget

As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic. Going to wait to see if raiding works like EQ/WoW first. If so, bleck. 

And if they are going to have a death penalty and lack of mini map. Those two features would sell me. I trust Brad and the former EQ devs he has to make the best dungeons in the genre, as they always do.

• PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Already a backer, So yes I will support them trying to make a game that I might like:)  Also all the name calling and all  really is childish. I mean come  just put  your opinion down  and thats it.  Also  he  might  be trying to kickstart it,  cause i am sure computers aren't cheap, licensing fee etc etc , and yes he said it would get done no matter what...  getting a kickstart, might be the difference of it being ready in 2017  or being ready in 2025 if he has to fund himself.

I don't know Hri, I played the crap out of EQ and EQ2 (way more than I'd like to admit) and I loved them both.  They both seemed to kind of be converted into more modern type MMO's over the last few years to make them more....I guess the word is accessible...to everyone.  I still love both games (EQ2 more than EQ to be honest), but I miss the old way that these games used to play....then again, I also miss the /pizza option.  Anyway, I don't know much about the difference between Harleys and Hondas...but I do know that the guy who made Harleys isn't the guy who made Hondas; the guy who started EQ however is possibly making a new MMO...it could be interesting. 

Asp, not sure how to respond.  Thanks I guess.  Oh, and my alternative reason for posting here is to up my forum posts btw.  Just thought it might as well be on something I'm interested in hearing about.  

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Alvonu
    Not a very smart move to support this guy, his past record on various subjects speaks volumes. His kickstarter is lacking.. very poorly thought out.  I wouldn't waste a dime on MCQuaid! Hell he has been quoted as saying it's going to get built even if not crowd funded which makes me ask why did he even try to grab money off people from a kickstarter to begin with? The guy is super shadey.

I love seeing people spout off about shit when the information is literally at their fingertips.

He has said from the beginning that the point of the kickstarter is to avoid having to use outside investors who may/will then try to alter the development of the game and turn it into something they/we dont want it to be.

So, please, go back to the WoWStar forums and leave us be.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Reading and watching is fundamental, There is alot of information on the main page of the kickstarter and I made a post here giving all the direct information where he answers all the quetions that have been posted here

Please if you are going to lie or be too lazy to just ask or find the information then please do it correctly

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6147783/Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen-Information-thread.html#6147783

Here is the Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

And when you get to the Kickstarter site use the mouse button, scroll down, READ things. It really works!

Sometimes I Think the people here like arguing and lying on forums than playing games. Just saying.

It also amazes me how I'm sure many of you are waiting on TESO. I played both Vanguard and the TESO beta.

Guess which one is the better game? Vanguard

Lets just say that TESO wishes it -just- had the technical problems that TESO has

Carry on....

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!