Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, is it a sandbox?

2»

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Gintoh
    I mean the EQN, not EQN:L.  Iv'e looked on the web but I hear mixed reports, that there was a 100 m dollar budget version and a 20 mil version, is this going to be the sandbox version?

That is all old rumors.  A lot of things have changed, their has been like 3/4 versions of EQN, if you count the decision to make Landmark a stand alone.  Whatever the final products turn out to be, I imagine they have spent a lot of money when it is all said and done on EQN:L and EQN.

I think EQN:L was more a developer tool to make EQN, then they decided they could actually release EQN:L as a stand alone (ala minecraft), with systems to replace the classes/developer content, so people could make their own stuff (and of course still make money on it from the store).

I believe Forgelight was supposed to develop and come out on EQN, before PS2, but all of the redesigns pushed that back. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Xthos

I believe Forgelight was supposed to develop and come out on EQN, before PS2, but all of the redesigns pushed that back. 

That is correct.

Though the reason EQN ha been redesigned is to include Sandbox elements which Smedley proudly announced when they unveiled the latest version.

Officially EQN is a sandbox, now the question is, what is SOE definition of sandbox?

That's when the fun begins.................

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by ste2000

That is correct.

Though the reason EQN ha been redesigned is to include Sandbox elements which Smedley proudly announced when they unveiled the latest version.

Officially EQN is a sandbox, now the question is, what is SOE definition of sandbox?

Usually it should be more SWG, not EQ1. Both are from SOE.. so we should asume they have a very good image what a sandbox should be..

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Apraxis

That is correct.

Usually it should be more SWG, not EQ1. Both are from SOE.. so we should asume they have a very good image what a sandbox should be..

None of the developers of EQ and SWG works for SoE any longer.

Also SoE shut SWG sandbox to turn it into a Themepark (NGE).

So I would be careful to be excited about a Sandbox from SoE.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Apraxis

That is correct.

None of the developers of EQ and SWG works for SoE any longer.

Also SoE shut SWG sandbox to turn it into a Themepark (NGE).

So I would be careful to be excited about a Sandbox from SoE.

People throw the "Sandbox" term around a lot, but no game that's ever been released claiming to be a sandbox has been a pure sandbox.  It's always a mix of dev created content and systems and sandbox-esk features.

The better question is "Will EQN be a truly next-gen MMO", which It's pretty safe to say it will be.

Or "Will EQN be a world worth living in", instead of the FFXIV / WoW style MMOs where you flop from 1 quest area / dungeon to the next in a vertical grind, consume all the content then bitch until they add more content.

EQN is set to give us everything hardcore MMORPG fans have wanted for a long time now.   I'm glad to see the original innovators of the MMO genre are going to be bringing us the next big thing.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL