Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok....so I just did my taxes

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I just completed my taxes. All i did was keep the last check stub and wrote down my employer federal tax id number and used the latest edition of Turbo Tax (2005)  {I dont feel like waiting for my W-2s)

.....to my amazement, I am getting back 7,982 dollars.  I'm sorta speechless at the moment.  I guess having that extra baby in 2005 really bumped up my tax refund.  It's pretyy crazy because I always file "3" on my W-2s (meaning...hardly any tax money is taken out of my paycheck to begin with).

The IRS will not be accepting electronic efiles until Jan 13 so I'm heading off to H&R Block on Jan 4th to do my taxes there. H&R Block will give me the refund the very same day I file...soooo

What to get? mwhahha. I have a double reward point coupon for Best Buy so I wanna buy something big there (and get a fat discount). I dont need a computer (just built one 6 weeks ago)...I own a nice car...I really have no idea what to get. I want to buy at least one nice thing with it and save the rest

Any ideas?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Buy the largest computer monitor you can find and save the rest. There is nothing like using a computer with a hugegantic monitor.

Or get a nice plasma tv for were ever.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    ooo a 32 inch flat screen monitor....thats an idea

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ZivaDominiZivaDomini Member Posts: 442

Wow.  That's nice.  Last year I only made like $16,000 and I got back almost $1,000.  This year I've made something like $24000.  Hopefully I'll get about $2k back.  Too bad I won't be here to use my fscking money!

Enigma.  Buy me...um..lets see what do I want...hmm...I'll edit later when I figure it out okay?  Thanks man!

• SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558

OMG thats a lot of money! You already have a good computer, but I would build a new computer wit only parts that are 500$ or more each ::::20::. Maybe you can get a segway or something ::::31::::::31::

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Save it.

Never know when you'll need it in future.

No point wasting it just because you got it ;)

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144
    Good for you hopefully the IRS doesn't send it back saying you actually owe them hehe. Get the big ass monitor everyone is talking about.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• MerodocMerodoc Member Posts: 227
    Why did you file your taxes so early when you could have waited until the last moment, thus earning the highest profit margin possible from interest? Seems very, very silly to me.

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
    - Edward R. Murrow

Originally posted by Merodoc
    Why did you file your taxes so early when you could have waited until the last moment, thus earning the highest profit margin possible from interest? Seems very, very silly to me.

I will still get the same amount of refund if I file Jan 1 or April 15. The Government does not add interest to your tax refund lol. They never have.

Reread what I wrote in the original post. I always sign my W4s with exemption 3 (which means they take hardly any tax out). Why do I do that? So I can pocket the money and place it in an interest bearing savings account throughout the years versus getting it all in one lump sum w/o interest in the form of a tax refund.

This year, we had a child so I did not take that into account, hence the larger sum of money I am getting back despite me filing very high in exemptions.

But, no. The government does not add interest in your favor if you file the last minute. Where did you get the idea they do that?

They place interest on taxes you owe but they dont give you any interest on a refund just because you file late.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

You sound well set up.

So invest it.

Be it in stock, or commodities market: Make it grow.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

? What is taxes?image

Yo man, if you have a kid, you ever though of saving half of the money for their future? It might be a good idea. I know my parrets never did anything like that for me. Now I got to work for money towards college (I'm not doing loans).

En1 can you buy me a good PC as a late christmas present?

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• MerodocMerodoc Member Posts: 227

I was vague on what I meant: you have money which should be sitting in a bank collecting interest. Your benefit for taxes will be the same as it is now in April. There is no reason to get in over with, and giving the government money as soon as possible seems silly to me.

I never once said that tax refunds somehow gain or accumulate interest. I don't know where you got that one from... hell, I wished they did, but they do not. image

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
    - Edward R. Murrow

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    You still do not make any sense.  If you turn in your taxes early as possible you can have the money gaining interest for 4.5 months before April 15.  You say turn it in at the last possible moment to get the most money.  Maybe we're missing something special that only you know about....

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

Originally posted by Merodoc

I was vague on what I meant: you have money which should be sitting in a bank collecting interest.

The money Im getting back is not the taxes withheld from my paycheck. Its from the child income tax credit

So, it wouldn't have mattered either way. I filed 3 therefor I hardly had any money taken out in the first place. Having children gave me the ability to receive money above and beyond what was taken out for taxes.  I could have filed EXEMPT and had NO taxes taken out and I would have still receive around 6,000 dollars.

Old Man, can you get me a new pc?

|

• JizzingJizzing Member Posts: 25
    nice u got nearly 7 grand...................

---------------------------------------------
    imageimage

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

invest half of it and then i would blow ther rest.

i think if i were you i would get one of those nice like 1000 dollar PDA's,

my 300 dollar one is kick ass with wifi and everything so i cant imagine what the 1000 dollar ones do.

and theres always the home theater system(dont get large plasma TV's projectors are better IMO)

but beyond that i cant think of anything

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

Originally posted by Vergeltung
    i think if i were you i would get one of those nice like 1000 dollar PDA's,
    my 300 dollar one is kick ass with wifi and everything so i cant imagine what the 1000 dollar ones do.

I have a 500 dollar PDA already image

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

well if your gona spend it on yourself, go for the screen... somthing about getting a nice new big screen that makes you feel damn good...

and common guys, you seroiusly thing En1gma of all people wouldnt have a plan for his kids education in the future.. this is the guy who had that freaking rediculous equation for solving that box problem a while back. Hes obviously not as stupid as he sounds ::::02::

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Munki

well if your gona spend it on yourself, go for the screen... somthing about getting a nice new big screen that makes you feel damn good...
    and common guys, you seroiusly thing En1gma of all people wouldnt have a plan for his kids education in the future.. this is the guy who had that freaking rediculous equation for solving that box problem a while back. Hes obviously not as stupid as he sounds ::::02::

wait your saying en1gma sounds stupid and has an inability to express his intelligence.....

Deduction of man points for  falsely insulting a mod

deduction of man points for insulting en1gma

and a final deduction of man points for making stupid comment with a calvin and hobs sig thereby insulting calvin and hobs(yes i bought the 150 dollar set even though i had all of them anyway)

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• DrunkenWDrunkenW Member Posts: 250

grats ::::20::

whats the tax rate in the US anyway?

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

en1gma... careful what you post on here.. some people go to great lengths to steal money.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

You can't ignore the Rikimaru En1gma! image

|