Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Cartel Market Makes 139 Million USD in 2013

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

SWTOR ranked 8th overall in additional revenues, second to only WoW in terms of western MMOs.  These numbers don't include revenue from subs.

From the article:

"Despite its chronic subscriber loss, World of Warcraft managed to generate $213 million in micro-transaction sales in 2013. Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues, suggesting that both titles’ change to a hybrid monetization model succeeded to stem a more drastic revenue loss."

Good news for BW and SWTOR. 

Waiting for a reliable source.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I don't think the argument that the ability to sell this particular product equates to it being a great MMORPG. There is no other Star Wars game to play, the comparisons to other games are never really weighed for long in discussions, because for some strange reason the proponents of SWTOR always go back to the revenue card. Yes, yes, I'm in a minority and therefore my views are garbage, I have heard that before. But in the end they can make this the official game of the planet earth and it still is the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG I have ever seen, and has the Star Wars IP hostage to boot.

I'm not going to blame the fans who buy this game for its crappiness, that is 100% design and ongoing implementation. Last time I checked they listen to fuck all of what even their subscribed fans want, and those people probably just want to play a Star Wars MMO. 

Just want to point out, TOR isn't the only Star Wars MMO out now, it's the only one worth mentioning out ever.  I loved the original progression system in SWG, but let's be real, it wasn't a Star Wars game.  It was a sandbox that happened to use a few Star Wars art assets and some of the music.  The core of an IP consists of narrative and lore, and pre-NGE SWG had neither.  As for post NGE?  They broke everything good about the game while engaging in a half-assed attempt to tack a story on, but to call the resulting product mediocre would be an insult to mediocrity.

(All of the preceding is opinion of course.  Calling a game crap, even if you honestly believe it, is never a statement of fact.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ohcomeonnow
    Originally posted by DamonVile

So because you think the game is crap and you think the only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage" that everyone who enjoys it...sorry i mean they dont enjoy but spend hours and hours on it because its being held hostage should stop playing because you say so?  

Kind of frightening to see how people think some times huh ?

Yes it is, especially when people misconstrue what you write, inserting absolutes and generalizations. As for the part about the IP, when do you think another SW MMO will come out? Doesn't Bioware hold that license for like the next 10 years ?

Im sorry can you elaborate on what I "miscontrueded" Did you not say the game was crap?  Did you not say the only reason people play it is because "they are holding the SW IP hostage?  

Please feel free to tell us what you really ment.  

I said the game was crap, it is reasonable to infer that I am one person not speaking for the entirety of gamedom.

I made no claim that the only reason people play it is because of the IP. I placed that description in at the end of the part where I was describing the lack of response from Bioware when the game was tested. You inserted the assumption that I was making a statement about all SWTOR players.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Great news for SWTOR :)

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Not if they hope to retain a shred of credability anyway....

Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

Well you can see it that way if you want I guess, but it's more like someone who hates the game regardless of how much money EA/Bioware makes from it.

What if I told you they are making an additional $90M a year on subscriptions from box sales and that shows that there are many, many people who are very happy with the game and while some of that could be attributed to mind control on the part of EA, the majority of it would have to be attributed to the perceived quality of the game on the part of the game's players?

I don't think the argument that the ability to sell this particular product equates to it being a great MMORPG. There is no other Star Wars game to play, the comparisons to other games are never really weighed for long in discussions, because for some strange reason the proponents of SWTOR always go back to the revenue card. Yes, yes, I'm in a minority and therefore my views are garbage, I have heard that before. But in the end they can make this the official game of the planet earth and it still is the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG I have ever seen, and has the Star Wars IP hostage to boot.

I'm not going to blame the fans who buy this game for its crappiness, that is 100% design and ongoing implementation. Last time I checked they listen to fuck all of what even their subscribed fans want, and those people probably just want to play a Star Wars MMO.

Do you have anything other than your opinion of the game to support your assertion that it is a bad game?  Not a game that you don't like, but an objectively bad game?  I mean, we have a million people who like the game.  Whatever else is going on, there are a million people playing the game who could be doing something else.  They don't have to play the game.  Nobody is forcing them to play the game.  They are choosing to play the game.

Your views are not garbage, but they don't make sense.  A million people would not be playing the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG.  People don't play games that bad.  Not for long, anyway.  They would not be playing just because of the Star Wars IP either.  If that were the case many more people would have been playing SWG.  The only reason for people to play a game that they don't have to play, when they could play something else or do something else is because they want to play the game.  The game cannot be as bad as you purport it to be because such a game could not have as many players as SWToR has.

Wait, I can't say that a game is crap? wtf

Originally posted by CazNeerg

(All of the preceding is opinion of course.  Calling a game crap, even if you honestly believe it, is never a statement of fact.)

I can't imagine anyone would disagree.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

Well you can see it that way if you want I guess, but it's more like someone who hates the game regardless of how much money EA/Bioware makes from it.

What if I told you they are making an additional $90M a year on subscriptions from box sales and that shows that there are many, many people who are very happy with the game and while some of that could be attributed to mind control on the part of EA, the majority of it would have to be attributed to the perceived quality of the game on the part of the game's players?

Do you have anything other than your opinion of the game to support your assertion that it is a bad game?  Not a game that you don't like, but an objectively bad game?  I mean, we have a million people who like the game.  Whatever else is going on, there are a million people playing the game who could be doing something else.  They don't have to play the game.  Nobody is forcing them to play the game.  They are choosing to play the game.

Your views are not garbage, but they don't make sense.  A million people would not be playing the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG.  People don't play games that bad.  Not for long, anyway.  They would not be playing just because of the Star Wars IP either.  If that were the case many more people would have been playing SWG.  The only reason for people to play a game that they don't have to play, when they could play something else or do something else is because they want to play the game.  The game cannot be as bad as you purport it to be because such a game could not have as many players as SWToR has.

Wait, I can't say that a game is crap? wtf

You can say anything you want.  Just as anyone can make any reply they want.

Your statement is that SWToR is not a good MMORPG.  Your supporting facts appear to be that you don't like the game.  I don't like the game either.  I can totally get behind not liking the game.  However, not liking the game doesn't make it a bad game.  Even a list of things that you or I think is wrong with the game doesn't make it a bad game.  Games exist for people to play them, and to generate revenue.  SWToR has a million people playing when they could be doing something else, and is generating revenue.  A lot of revenue apparently.  The game is doing what it is designed to do.  SWToR is a good game.  I don't like it anyway, but it's still a good game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Your statement is that SWToR is not a good MMORPG.  Your supporting facts appear to be that you don't like the game.  I don't like the game either.  I can totally get behind not liking the game.  However, not liking the game doesn't make it a bad game.  Even a list of things that you or I think is wrong with the game doesn't make it a bad game.  Games exist for people to play them, and to generate revenue.  SWToR has a million people playing when they could be doing something else, and is generating revenue.  A lot of revenue apparently.  The game is doing what it is designed to do.  SWToR is a good game.  I don't like it anyway, but it's still a good game.

This is what most of "us" have been saying on here day in and day out to people making the proclamation " this game failed" or " all mmos suck"

If you can't tell the difference between a game you don't like and a game that failed/sucked/whatever... you're in trouble.

I hated eve, didn't really like TOR, didn't like gw2...the list goes on and on but, seeing millions of people play these games shows me that those games just weren't for me. They didn't fail, they don't suck or any of the silly all encompassing nonsense people post about them,......they were just made for a different type of person, who wants different things than I do when I play an mmo.

This pitbull attitude that games people don't like sucked and are failing doesn't really help "the genre" because it just locks everyone in pointless circular arguments. Discussing features you liked and disliked..and WHY you do helps other people understand. The I'm right!!! all your facts are stupid!!! just makes people think you're stupid. ( not you just people doing it :) )

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This thread reminds me of the '7 stages of grief' since 'haters' can't pull the 'OMG SWTOR is a commercial failure!' card.

Shock - Hell no!

Denial -  I don't believe this report!

Anger - I don't care if it is factual! I am still angry about SWTOR so therefore we can't trust this fact!!

Bargaining  - It is an awful game!!!! .........For me..

Guilt

Depression - It is truly depressing that EA holds the SW license for the next 10 years.

Acceptance - Yeah, people are dumb and will spend money on games I hate. Why can't they have my awesome taste in video games?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

This is what most of "us" have been saying on here day in and day out to people making the proclamation " this game failed" or " all mmos suck"

If you can't tell the difference between a game you don't like and a game that failed/sucked/whatever... you're in trouble.

I hated eve, didn't really like TOR, didn't like gw2...the list goes on and on but, seeing millions of people play these games shows me that those games just weren't for me. They didn't fail, they don't suck or any of the silly all encompassing nonsense people post about them,......they were just made for a different type of person, who wants different things than I do when I play an mmo.

This pitbull attitude that games people don't like sucked and are failing doesn't really help "the genre" because it just locks everyone in pointless circular arguments. Discussing features you liked and disliked..and WHY you do helps other people understand. The I'm right!!! all your facts are stupid!!! just makes people think you're stupid. ( not you just people doing it :) )

You two are really parsing words in attempts to make your own distinction. You aren't interested in other viewpoints, so go ahead and have your rhetoric exercise. Game still sucks though.

Originally posted by jpnz

This thread reminds me of the '7 stages of grief' since 'haters' can't pull the 'OMG SWTOR is a commercial failure!' card.

Shock - Hell no!

Denial -  I don't believe this report!

Anger - I don't care if it is factual! I am still angry about SWTOR so therefore we can't trust this fact!!

Bargaining  - It is an awful game!!!! .........For me..

Guilt

Depression - It is truly depressing that EA holds the SW license for the next 10 years.

Acceptance - Yeah, people are dumb and will spend money on games I hate. Why can't they have my awesome taste in video games?

Again with the psych evaluations. I like how you have to be exhibiting pathology to not like a game and say so on the forum. You guys tried to accuse me of sophistry, now it's depression, I can't wait to see what's next. Pretty creative I have to admit. You guys are wielding Occam's Mud Pie here in attempts to explain this uncanny phenomenon.

Why it must some crazy conspiracy, some demented sickness that would make someone not like that game and say so!

omg lol 

Again with the psych evaluations. I like how you have to be exhibiting pathology to not like a game and say so on the forum. You guys tried to accuse me of sophistry, now it's depression, I can't wait to see what's next. Pretty creative I have to admit. You guys are wielding Occam's Mud Pie here in attempts to explain this uncanny phenomenon.

Why it must some crazy conspiracy, some demented sickness that would make someone not like that game and say so!

omg lol 

What's funny is that I can actually link the posts in this thread and no it wasn't a psych examination. Just a humours observation to see the posts follow the 7 stages of grief.

I don't recall accusing anyone of 'demented sickness' or crazy conspiracy so not sure what that is all about. Getting a bit too defensive there I think.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

omg lol 

What's funny is that I can actually link the posts in this thread and no it wasn't a psych examination. Just a humours observation to see the posts follow the 7 stages of grief.

I don't recall accusing anyone of 'demented sickness' or crazy conspiracy so not sure what that is all about. Getting a bit too defensive there I think.

You think I am being defensive in responding to your post that was essentially just an insult robed in a real process that people experience when grieving. Really ?

I like the way you interpreted acceptance.

You are clearly suffering from stockholm syndrome and have come to sympathize with your Bioware captors. See how stupid that is. Oh yeah and I was just making a humorous comparison.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You two are really parsing words in attempts to make your own distinction. You aren't interested in other viewpoints, so go ahead and have your rhetoric exercise. Game still sucks though.

/facepalm

You think I am being defensive in responding to your post that was essentially just an insult robed in a real process that people experience when grieving. Really ?

You are clearly suffering from stockholm syndrome and have come to sympathize with your Bioware captors. See how stupid that is. Oh yeah and I was just making a humorous comparison.

So...

'liking a game' = 'stockholm syndrome'

'hating a game' = 'just my opinion'.

That's some bizzare logic you got there. ROFL!

Gdemami -

So...

'liking a game' = 'stockholm syndrome'

'hating a game' = 'just my opinion'.

That's some bizzare logic you got there. ROFL!

ugh. nevermind

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

So because you think the game is crap and you think the only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage" that everyone who enjoys it...sorry i mean they dont enjoy but spend hours and hours on it because its being held hostage should stop playing because you say so?  

Yes it is, especially when people misconstrue what you write, inserting absolutes and generalizations. As for the part about the IP, when do you think another SW MMO will come out? Doesn't Bioware hold that license for like the next 10 years ?

Wow...hahaha.. the irony!!

What do you think your comment was then?  'only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage'

Damn man!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Wow...hahaha.. the irony!!

What do you think your comment was then?  'only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage'

Damn man!!

I re-read my post just to make sure, and I'm wondering where you see that I said the only reason they play is because of the IP. It doesn't fucking say that, you are putting that in there. I made mention of the subscribers who ask for features in the official forums and get nothing, and I said that they probably just want to play a Star Wars MMO

That is not the same as saying the only reason people play is because it is SW, and I actually meant it as a positive statement about the players posting about things like day/night cycle, Space PvE, etc.

Do you think that they only play because it is Star Wars? Is that what you are trying to say Doogie? It sure as shit isn't what I said. I've said it before in the past, but I didn't say it in the last 8 months or so that I remember. And to me the SW IP is gone as far as MMOs are concerned, because Bioware has demonstrated that they are incompetent.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

First: Good for SW:ToR, the story gameplay is really nice and the small cutscenes add some well needed flair to what is otherwise just some format A1 PvE gameplay.

Second: It is EA we are talking about. If something does not make them money they are not exactly slow to prune the product. (Like the on-line service of... well any EA game that is not a strong seller)

Third: If person X likes or dislikes something has no effect on how legit a financial success is. I personally think that the Twilight saga is a poorly put together hackjob by someone who have no understanding or appreciation for the mythos. That does not equal that i can not admit that the twilight saga is a massive financial success.  same goes for SW:ToR.

Fourth: PBnJ sammishes is weird

Fifth: It makes no sense to feed your market evaluation company false data... That would be akin to smoking your weed rolled up in 100$ bills... Stupid and very wasteful.

Finally: About spending money in a cash-shop, If one have a stable income, some part of it is always spent on things that can be seen as wasteful. things like candy, magazines, cinema tickets, resturantes, cigarettes, perfumes, alcohol and so and so forth. How is buying a digital Mouse droid any different from anything else. Entropy hits everything and nothing lasts for ever.

Take care.

This have been a good conversation

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

F2P games, where you don't even have to buy the game will have millions of people, even if it's not such a great game. World Of Tanks has 60+ million, and I find that game boring. And doesn't Second Life have something like 200 million?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I'm usually rooting for TOR, but good lord that's a lot <.<.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

If this data means that SWTOR will get regular and significant updates down the line, then I'm happy for it's player base, even though I'm not an active player anymore.

If it means more Cash shop items and no improvement of the game itself, then whatever...

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by DeniZg

If this data means that SWTOR will get regular and significant updates down the line, then I'm happy for it's player base, even though I'm not an active player anymore.

If it means more Cash shop items and no improvement of the game itself, then whatever...

no worries about that its gotten relaible content and bug fixes for over a year now.  Current schedule is significant new content every 6 weeks.  They add more new content then WoW does and have made significant improvments to the engine and quality of life.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Driz

Wow...on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, just how pissed ARE you that SWTOR is a financial success? :)

Is it a great mmorpg? Did I say it was? No. Its not the best but it is enjoyable for what it is....

Oh and a lobby based PvP game? Just how desperate are you? I see you conveniently overlook the solid and polished story based levelling experience which, even the most rabid of haters tend to agree is one of the best levelling experiences around, plus you choose to ignore the many updates to the game just recently. In fact if you had even the slightest clue as to what you are talking about you would know that PvP content is one area where the game is particularly weak.

Oh and modern AAA MMORPG employs myriad of daily areas as PvE content? Shock horror, NO OTHER MMORPG does that right? Right?

Driz

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    This is the reason why we have not had a original game in 11 years. Pump out laggy, buggy clones and still rake in millions. It really sickens me. 
  • ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by adam_nox

These numbers are unofficial estimates based on a flawed methodology.  That's just a fact, accept it or don't doesn't matter to me.  Clearly it indicates an inflated number, but truthfully we could accept the possibility that the numbers are higher.

However, this doesn't pass the smell test.  Not even remotely.  Even if the game had 500k active players, which is a stretch, it puts the amount spent per year at 278 dollars as an average.   The implications of which are simply the stuff of fantasy.  It's preposterous to even entertain that as a possibility, and if you don't agree we simply have no grounds on which to discuss the issue further.

What's most likely is that they took the average spent per player who participated in their data, which would likely be mostly people who paid, not freebies, and then looked up EA's most recent estimate of active players, which is a number they could just pull out of their ass because it's a f2p game and anyone with a username and password can be counted, and used simple multiplication to come up with a number that's like 100x bigger than reality.

Wait...are you saying that an average spend on the CM per player of $278 over the course of a year is the stuff of fantasy?

Not sure if serious?

I know many players personally who spend more than that per quarter. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Driz