Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If whales are those who sub and put money into games, then F2P & low income people are mules.

AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444

I was just playing in DCUO and we were all trash talking on the low income people who never put a dime into any of the games they play. A few of us heard other people referring to them as "mules" so we continued the moniker since they have one for us already. 

"Whales" = those who sub and/or put money into games.

"Mules" = those who play F2P games and are low income.

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by AriesTiger

I was just playing in DCUO and we were all trash talking on the low income people who never put a dime into any of the games they play. A few of us heard other people referring to them as "mules" so we continued the moniker since they have one for us already. 

Yes but who is the smarter of the two? The person spending hundreds of dollars a year on a single game or the person who is getting a free ride on that other person's money? Some food for thought.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Yes but who is the smarter of the two? The person spending hundreds of dollars a year on a single game or the person who is getting a free ride on that other person's money? Some food for thought.

Bren

Smarter? Doesn't make any difference to me. Games are about entertainment value.

A rich man could have a room temperature IQ  and I'd have no problem with it. A humanitarian or professor could be dirt poor and I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

It depends on the game. It's both sad and amusing when non-paying players in  P2W game complain about unbalance in the cash shop. Hint: Don't play a P2W game if you don't plan on spending money. I read a great article once that pretty much said free-players are the content for P2W players to grind on. Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

Having said that, I personally don't play P2W games, I prefer F2P games with an optional subscription bonus like increased XP gain, and a vanity pet shop or something.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Bren

Smarter? Doesn't make any difference to me. Games are about entertainment value.

A rich man could have a room temperature IQ  and I'd have no problem with it. A humanitarian or professor could be dirt poor and I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

I meant money smart... not book smart... big difference. Don't get me wrong as I'm usually on the paying side but I don't sell others short just because they want to play a game for free when it's advertised as a free game. Sub games are a different story all together. You don't pay you don't play... it's that simple. Don't bring up "Freemium games" either... They are F2P games that double dip with a Sub option as well. At their core they are still F2P and advertise as such. I don't put people down just because they want to play an as advertised "Free Game" for free.

People also tend to blame all of the "Freeloaders" with all of the problems with any given F2P game. You are directing your ire in the wrong direction however. It's not the free player's fault they want to play a game that is advertised for free for ... you know ... free. It's the developer's and the publisher's fault for setting the game up that way in the first place.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Bren

I meant money smart... not book smart... big difference. Don't get me wrong as I'm usually on the paying side but I don't sell others short just because they want to play a game for free when it's advertised as a free game. Sub games are a different story all together. You don't pay you don't play... it's that simple. Don't bring up "Freemium games" either... They are F2P games that double dip with a Sub option as well. At their core they are still F2P and advertise as such. I don't put people down just because they want to play an as advertised "Free Game" for free.

People also tend to blame all of the "Freeloaders" with all of the problems with any given F2P game. You are directing your ire in the wrong direction however. It's not the free player's fault they want to play a game that is advertised for free for ... you know ... free. It's the developer's and the publisher's fault for setting the game up that way in the first place.

Bren

That statement is invalid after the 2nd F2P game (or heck even second login) to a F2P game.

Bren

Bren

That statement is invalid after the 2nd F2P game (or heck even second login) to a F2P game.

No it isn't. When the main draw is the word "Free" you can't really blame people for expecting a free game. Maybe you need to worry a little less about how other people spend their money and just enjoy your game however you personally choose to play it. What others spend on a game isn't really any of your concern or business.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Wow this stupid arguement even invades Off-topic.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    When the game gets closed down, the only winner in the F2P is the one who doesn't put in a dime.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

I was just playing in DCUO and we were all trash talking on the low income people who never put a dime into any of the games they play. A few of us heard other people referring to them as "mules" so we continued the moniker since they have one for us already.   "Whales" = those who sub and/or put money into games."Mules" = those who play F2P games and are low income.

Not sure if a Mule is the bast animal for that analogy, mules do a lot of work and don't mind carrying heavy loads that packhorses and donkeys don't like. Also, mules used to carry ore for miners in the old west, an animal that carries bags of gold on its back isn't a good animal to paint as a cheapskate... A donkey or a camel would make more sense.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Of course they are the MULES.

Without the MULES such games would not exist.

it's common knowledge anyways that F2P mmos survive on the big purchases of a few players, so the non-paying mules should probably be happy that someone spent $3000 on P2W gear if they actually like the game. Or something. I dunno.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    it's common knowledge anyways that F2P mmos survive on the big purchases of a few players, so the non-paying mules should probably be happy that someone spent $3000 on P2W gear if they actually like the game. Or something. I dunno.

Be happy or  thankful? really? How about impartial either way. Don't care how much any person spends one way or another. If a company has decent cs model / practices I'll support it. Because I didn't dump $3000 doesn't mean a dam thing other than I didn't spend $3000 for whatever reason. Usually games that can entice people to spend that much use a lottery / gambling system, which I loathe. If they were regulated and/ or I trusted that  the numbers didn't get tinkered with, I'd feel a bit better about them. They aren't and I know dam well I would play with percentages if I ran a company with such a model. Wouldn't you? No ones watching and it isn't exactly breaking the law to do such. Why risk flooding the market with desirables over time.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Wrong terminology, as "mules" are alts that hold items for mains. That's been long established even before MMOs began (term originated in MuDs).

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The only losers, as in "losing out" are the ones who want to pay but can't IE not getting the entertainment they wish they could be getting or somebody who pays a premium and still feels they get the short end of the stick

Value is in the eye of the beholder. A guy playing for free could be enjoying himself as much as somebody able and willing to spend a lot of money in any given game as well.

I think a lot of the animosity towards the 'freeloaders' happens because 1. People are dicks and 2. It sucks having to pay to have fun when Joe Smoe clearly has just as much fun NOT paying.

Nobody thinks you are a silly for spending money in a F2P title. People playing for free isn't really too concerned how you spend your money. If you feel a bit silly inside spending a few bucks on pixels then it really isn't the 'freeloaders' fault. It's good to keep that in mind

What about the free players who complain about the paying players in games that are obviously designed as P2W? For example there's this one game I play that is not shy at all about its cash shop, letting you buy all sorts of elite armor and stat boosters with IRL cash. The free players tend to call people decked out in such gear "artewhores" and complain that the PvP heavily favors people who spend money (duh).

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    What about the free players who complain about the paying players in games that are obviously designed as P2W? For example there's this one game I play that is not shy at all about its cash shop, letting you buy all sorts of elite armor and stat boosters with IRL cash. The free players tend to call people decked out in such gear "artewhores" and complain that the PvP heavily favors people who spend money (duh).

People complain, surprise. If you enjoy a game and find it worth supporting, do so. Who cares what others think. You're the one decked out and they aren't.  If I play a f2p and bitch about it's cash shop model. Does not mean anything other than I don't like the way whatever is happening and if they made changes I'd support it.  Doesn't mean they have to make changes for me or listen to anything I say.  Doesn't mean I hate the game either. Just speaking my mind. Opinions are like.. well... you know..

I can't speak on your question. As I don't care how much people spend. The only thing I have ever done is commented something a long the lines of "That person has really spent a lot of money."  Which they did. Didn't say it to them. Wasn't rude. Just a comment. Person had probably spent enough for a brand new car. 

Point noted. Also, "donkeys" sounds better then mules. :P

Eeore? :D