Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Cartel Market Makes 139 Million USD in 2013

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by Chieftan

All the kiddies that said SWTOR didn't make it's money back can go home now.

The advantage SWTOR has is it's selling Star Wars memerobilia.  A tauntaun mount is going to be ridiculously more profitable than a generic fantasy weapon in GW2.  It's a brand that appeals to an older market with much more disposable income than kids who would rather spend their money on a couple meals at Taco Bell than pay a sub fee.

Only it's selling pixels, not tangible items, that you can access as long as EA says you can.  I don't know if it makes me more sad that there are this many people willing to waste money in such a way or that I could never be the one to fleece people of millions in this way because I would feel terrible about myself.  Life would be so much easier with more flexible morals.

And the people that pay $180 a year in subs to play games are not being fleeced in the same way.  People should sue.

yeah wtf...  I'm outraged!!!  :)

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    The bigger question is WTF is CrossFire and how did it make $957 million???image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

SWTOR ranked 8th overall in additional revenues....

http://www.superdataresearch.com/services

"Methodology

Data:

Q: What type of data do we have and where do we get it?

A: Every month we collect the spending data of 2,850,000 paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 450+ game titles."

In other words, it is a bogus list worth nothing because they are basing the numbers off of a very small segment of the gaming population.

450+ games. There are how many MMOs?

This next one here makes this entire thread worthless

"Analyzing

Q: How do we analyze data?

A: We combine the digital point of sale data with qualitative consumer INSIGHTS to speak to the "why" of the market. Total monthly audience X conversion rate X Average revenue per paying customer" 

Bogus numbers boys and girls, they are taking the amount of players times the conversion rate of the shops times the AVERAGE PER PAYING CUSTOMER which blows the numbers way out of perportion. Also, guess what. BIG BUBBLE BURST COMING HERE EA themselves lists SWTOR and TWO FIFA games together in their last quarterly report as having the earnings on this chart. Not just SWTOR, all three games.

Did you miss the "gets data directly from publishers" part? LOL  Then you claim it's bogus.  EA is listed as one of the companies they work with.   That section of the website is referring to their market analysis and forecasting services, their services are not in "guesssing" numbers for digital sales.  What they do is take the actual data they have and try to help companies analyse and generate strategies for profit growth in digital sales.

Their numbers were also picked up by gamesindustry.biz and on more than one occasion which is very legitimate.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

Did you miss the "gets data directly from publishers" part? LOL  Then you claim it's bogus.  EA is listed as one of the companies they work with.   That section of the website is referring to their market analysis and forecasting services, their services are not in "guesssing" numbers for digital sales.  What they do is take the actual data they have and try to help companies analyse and generate strategies for profit growth in digital sales.

Their numbers were also picked up by gamesindustry.biz and on more than one occasion which is very legitimate. 

Just give up.  With this latest data, it has become pretty clear that some anti-TOR posters have such a deep emotional attachment to the idea of TOR being a failure that we could have independently confirmed video evidence of every single EA shareholder swimming in their personal Scrooge McDuck multi-billion dollar money vaults with a paper trail establishing it all came from TOR, and they would still scream from the rooftops that it was all a con and the game had failed.  There is no level of success that will accept as proof of success.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Wow, they are breaking down F2P games into a science to make these people buy more crap. Its like a large herd of sheep they keep studying to see how much they will eat, when they eat, what kind of food they eat and how different types of grass come out in their poops. F2P gamers are paving the way for us to all be buying everything in games of the future, nice. 
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Wow, they are breaking down F2P games into a science to make these people buy more crap. Its like a large herd of sheep they keep studying to see how much they will eat, when they eat, what kind of food they eat and how different types of grass come out in their poops. F2P gamers are paving the way for us to all be buying everything in games of the future, nice. 

As long as we feel like we are getting value for our money, why does the exact form the transactions take matter?  And if you don't think you are getting value, move on to a different product.

The Force shall free me.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    The bigger question is WTF is CrossFire and how did it make $957 million???image

Crossfire is an fps from South Korean developer SmileGate. The main operator Neowiz is pretty powerful in South Korea. Tencent handles the Chinese distribution. Various other publishers handle other countries.

Crossfire can be played in many , many countries. Crossfire will run very well on old pieces of junk hardware. This makes the game ideal for less developed countries / areas. The promotion system gives you a feeling of advancement.

Still, while SWToR may not pull down Crossfire / LoL numbers the game is definitely doing very well. The 10 year Star Wars contract is looking better and better for EA. I am looking forward to a Dice take on Battlefield next. 

• maskcepmaskcep Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by catlana

Crossfire is an fps from South Korean 

I was really hoping it was this.

Originally posted by maskcep

Crossfire is an fps from South Korean 

I was really hoping it was this.

Lol, that was pretty funny. That game looked better than the fps imho.   Games should be about having fun not obsessing over a game you do not like and do not play.  

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I always wondered what would happen once Facts met 'Irrational Hatred towards SWTOR for not being SWG2 Electric Bigaloo'.

Now I know.

And it is /Facepalm material like I predicted.

ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I always wondered what would happen once Facts met 'Irrational Hatred towards SWTOR for not being SWG2 Electric Bigaloo'.

Now I know.

And it is /Facepalm material like I predicted.

ROFL!

Never underestimate the power of combining surging nerd rage with pathological denial.  Especially not in veteran neckbeards.

The Force shall free me.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Only it's selling pixels, not tangible items, that you can access as long as EA says you can.  I don't know if it makes me more sad that there are this many people willing to waste money in such a way or that I could never be the one to fleece people of millions in this way because I would feel terrible about myself.  Life would be so much easier with more flexible morals.

This makes no sense in the current digital age.

Buying something digital shouldn't be something to be afraid of.

I mean.. jeez... It is 2014, not 1999.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Great news for SWTOR :)

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Not if they hope to retain a shred of credability anyway....

Driz

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Great news for SWTOR :) I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials. Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success.... Not if they hope to retain a shred of credability anyway.... Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by jpnz

This makes no sense in the current digital age.

Buying something digital shouldn't be something to be afraid of.

I mean.. jeez... It is 2014, not 1999.

At what point were video games ever not about selling pixels?  I am confused.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Driz

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. 

So, what you are saying is that it isn't just TOR, you make a habit out of raging when games you don't enjoy do well?

The Force shall free me.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Doesn't make the game any less a letdown.

A letdown to what many people were expecting, myself included. But overall a decent & fun enough game to play. I for one am glad they are doing well. Many people seem to enjoy it.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Driz

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

Well you can see it that way if you want I guess, but it's more like someone who hates the game regardless of how much money EA/Bioware makes from it.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. 

So, what you are saying is that it isn't just TOR, you make a habit out of raging when games you don't enjoy do well?

Just checked my blood pressure, no problem there. Breathing isn't elevated, no cloudiness of thought, clenching of the jaw. No, all evidence just points to you being mistaken. I'm not writing legislature or philosophy here, I just said a video game sucks.

Originally posted by jdnewell

A letdown to what many people were expecting, myself included. But overall a decent & fun enough game to play. I for one am glad they are doing well. Many people seem to enjoy it.

This is what I call a mentally healthy response. I accept that there are games out there that I do not like that people enjoy. My nephews play a lot of them. I have the emotional and mental maturity to wish them the best in enjoying these games. Wallowing in anger and depression leads to a never ending cycle of negativity. Different people like different things. The world would be boring if everyone liked exactly the same thing.  

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550
    good I hope it continues to make money and thrive even though I currently do not play

Just checked my blood pressure, no problem there. Breathing isn't elevated, no cloudiness of thought, clenching of the jaw. No, all evidence just points to you being mistaken. I'm not writing legislature or philosophy here, I just said a video game sucks.

And if you would include "In my opinion" after "sucks," nobody would be arguing with you.  You get the responses you do because you keep stating it like it's some kind of fact.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by jdnewell

This is what I call a mentally healthy response. I accept that there are games out there that I do not like that people enjoy. My nephews play a lot of them. I have the emotional and mental maturity to wish them the best in enjoying these games. Wallowing in anger and depression leads to a never ending cycle of negativity. Different people like different things. The world would be boring if everyone liked exactly the same thing.  

Everyone is a life coach. It's not a maladaptive reaction to have an aversion to something that does not get resolved. Especially if you are talking about something that doesn't impair functioning in the life of the individual. There are things that you probably don't like, you don't have to accept those things, that is called being able to discern.

You can wallow in anger and depression if your spouse or child dies, you lose your job and go broke, you become disabled, or if you suffer from a neurological disorder or injury. Being of the opinion that a game sucks and posting that on a forum when you are otherwise bored is not equivalent.