Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sapphire Toxic R9 280X Screen Flickering

BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97

I've had the Toxic R9 280X for a while now and it works great on every game I've tried. However, when not in a game, it causes this really annoying screen flickering. I've done some research and found that this is a fairly common problem at the moment, not with just this card, but several of the R9's from Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, etc... I have no other issues except this screen flickering when browsing or on the desktop, not during games...well, except for when my wife is playing her Facebook games, which is more annoying because then I have to hear her complain about it. I've tried several different driver versions and swapping cables to no effect. After searching, I have seen a lot of speculation that this will be fixed, eventually, with a driver update, but I have not seen anything official regarding this issue. I'm looking for some input from all you folks more knowledgeable than myself; has anyone seen or head of a true fix or know that a fix is coming?

NOTE: Please do NOT turn this into a Nvidia vs. AMD war. Telling me I should have bought a Nvidia card doesn't help me at all. I have no specific loyalty to either 1 and generally purchase whichever is the best price point/value at the time. I happened to get this card before the prices went crazy.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Brachus
    I've had the Toxic R9 280X for a while now and it works great on every game I've tried. However, when not in a game, it causes this really annoying screen flickering. I've done some research and found that this is a fairly common problem at the moment, not with just this card, but several of the R9's from Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, etc... I have no other issues except this screen flickering when browsing or on the desktop, not during games...well, except for when my wife is playing her Facebook games, which is more annoying because then I have to hear her complain about it. I've tried several different driver versions and swapping cables to no effect. After searching, I have seen a lot of speculation that this will be fixed, eventually, with a driver update, but I have not seen anything official regarding this issue. I'm looking for some input from all you folks more knowledgeable than myself; has anyone seen or head of a true fix or know that a fix is coming? NOTE: Please do NOT turn this into a Nvidia vs. AMD war. Telling me I should have bought a Nvidia card doesn't help me at all. I have no specific loyalty to either 1 and generally purchase whichever is the best price point/value at the time. I happened to get this card before the prices went crazy. 

Have not heard of a fix, But i too have the flickering on a Gigabyte 280x

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If it's only happening at idle, it could be caused by the idle clock speeds being too low.  If that's the case, it's simple to fix it in a future driver update by raising the idle clock speeds.  What's not simple is determining how far to raise the idle clock speed.

The basic dilemma is that people don't want a card to put out 100 W at idle.  AMD and Nvidia know this and try to greatly reduce clock speeds when the card is idle to save power.  If they reduce the clock speed too far, however, things malfunction.  How far is too far depends on a lot of things, and will vary from card to card and from system to system.  AMD and Nvidia try to pick the lowest idle clock speeds that will essentially always work, but occasionally they set the idle clock a little too low and things go awry.

• BrachusBrachus Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Aori

I have a Sapphire 7970, this issue occurred for me when they introduced driver support for R7/R9 GPU's. I can play games fine but on desktop/browser I get inconsistent but noticeable flicker.

Not sure if it is the same issue or something is dying. I've also thought of Win 8.1 being a suspect, just haven't got around to messing with it.

Just to try to save you some trouble, from what I have read, the OS doesn't matter. Hoping that it gets fixed with a driver update, but haven't seen anything official to confirm it.