Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to win an argument online.

WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I sse many people argue, so here are some tips to win your argument without havign to reply 20 times.

Adds tips if you have any. I'm bored and this isn't a joke.

*pick your battles, don't start discussions you know you are going to lose, gracefully back out on time if you  are on the losing end

*never use caps during the argument, caps signifies you're upset which means you lost the argument

*never use profanity, same as above

*take your time to reply

*lure your victim in, change the discussion until the argument revolves around something you are really familiar with or something which can easily be supported by your source

*when people ask a source, instead of hyperlinking, use the sniping tool to select the part that best supports your argument, if you hyperlink the source you have a chance they find something in that link that doesn't support your argument, make sure you don't include things that can identify the source

*you should win your argument in 3 to 4 replies max, going on for 10 pages is pathetic for both sides

*know when to stop,  you won, stop responding, it can only go downhill from here for you

have fun

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

How to get them mad :

1) Ask why are you getting so mad ?....This gets them mad.

2) Pretend you don't understand there response by going SLIGHTLY off subject to what they are saying. Twist things :)

3) Wait at least an hour to respond.

4) Ask if they even play the game.

5) Tell them you have 2219 post and 3 stars, and that your a power user on this site,  " So I must know what I'm talking about "..............The less post and less stars you have the better :)

6) Say " log in and take a look ".

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Hm, I care more about knowing the truth than winning at all cost. Understanding is the greater triumph than merely winning.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    WTF!?!  You just took all the FUN out of arguing!  Damn, hell, shit annoying.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

You're recommending red herring and cherry picking evidence as a debating strategy.

Take those off if this really isn't a joke.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by dave6660

You're recommending red herring and cherry picking evidence as a debating strategy.

Take those off if this really isn't a joke.

Debating and arguing are two totally different actions.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    There is a simple rule. Trying to change someone's point of view is like trying to change someone's religion. It's not going to happen in a forum post. Only thing that will be accomplished is inflating your own ego.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

The same way you win in Territory control games in MMOs

"convince the other side it's not worth their time"

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    That's a load of crap!!

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    How I get it done. ;)

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    All you really have to do is put so many facts and sources in your post, and they will change the topic in two seconds.  You win every time.   Research is easier then arguing with someone.