Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: First Character Class Revealed: The Cleric

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Not resting on the week's laurels, the first character class has been revealed for Patheon: Rise of the Fallen. The Cleric is described both from a lore perspective and a game play perspective. As expected, the Cleric is the game's healing class.

The Cleric is a healer. The battle Cleric stands toe-to-toe against their enemy without fear capable of decent armed combat and spell casting granted through divine favor. They don full heavy plate armor, a shield in offhand and typically flourish in the use of maces, scepters, warhammers, flails and even two-handed hammers capable of delivering heavy damage. There have been cases where the Cleric would focus their efforts more on their spiritual and divine blessings, thus taking on a magical offense and defense. In these cases they’ve been seen wearing bright, radiant robes and are known to wield two-handed staves or scepters with a tome in offhand. The lack of heavy armor makes them more susceptible to melee and artillery damage but they are more agile to dodge and channel their divine energies. In rare occasions, Clerics have been capable of opening the window to their faith, allowing them to manifest astral Paladins from faith energy. The power of these sentries is derived from the strength of their belief making a seasoned cleric a force to be reckoned with.

Read more on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    [mod edit]

Anyway sounds great to me; you even threw in cleric specialization descriptions! Here's hoping the next revealed class is a freaking ninja (rogue).
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    By fix it up you mean run into the ground? SoE has been the headsman of countless games, as many as they have had that were successful... not sure where you just came from and have been hiding for years.
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Options are gud!
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Are we supposed to be surprised there is a cleric? :p let's see some functioning gameplay if he wants me to invest in Vanguard 2.0... Wow this is unusually bitter for me :p I just don't trust him. He has great ideas but vanguard should have been sooo much more.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    2 words. Kick starter. Let's get all gooey oooey over something that isnt even funded.  
  • ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    The team has been working on the game since September so they have started.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Convo

I started writing a novel 5 years ago.

Done two pages.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

I started writing a novel 5 years ago.

Done two pages.

Well next week they will have a lot more then 2 pages worth of lore for us so...

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    By fix it up you mean run into the ground? SoE has been the headsman of countless games, as many as they have had that were successful... not sure where you just came from and have been hiding for years.

I would say that my comment was related to the train wreck that was Vanguard's launch. SOE was involved in the distribution of the game, but didn't take over the game until brad tanked Sigil just after launch. Then SOE took over the game and kept it going (they didn't put a pile of money into it, but they did spent years supporting it and fixing bugs).

So yeah, I would say SOE fixed it and that McQuaid tanked it. I was implying that McQuaid was going to do the same to this, but you missed the sarcaism I guess. If this game launches and looks good, I will try it, but I'd never gamble on Brad McQuaid again.

Your info is inaccurate... You should go re-read history.. SoE took over the game 6 months prior till launch.. Brad said it needed a year when Microsoft pulled the plus.. SoE went with 6 months..
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Convo is right, there were huge explanations of what was going on in the Vanguard forums at that time.  I'm not blaming sony for not funding it for a year, it wasn't their game in the first place.  But they did take over development prior to release.  Sadly they didn't realize how amazing it would have been had they actually finished what needed to be done prior to release.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

funny title...

so when the Fallen has risen... they are no longer fallen? 

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Your info is inaccurate... You should go re-read history.. SoE took over the game 6 months prior till launch.. Brad said it needed a year when Microsoft pulled the plus.. SoE went with 6 months..

Nope, you are wrong. SoE merely published it. They didn't even run the servers until after it tanked and got sold to SoE.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    How many years did it take SOE to make Vanguard playable and how many more years will it take for them to actually expand the game to the point it should be for its age?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Hate to disrupt your little pretend reality pal, but if it weren't for Sony, Vanguard wouldn't have even lasted as long as it has. The failure of that project lies entirely on McQuaid's shoulders.

I suppose next you'll attempt to blame them for the failure of PotBS & Matrix Online too, eh?

Anyway, as for THIS game while it's nice to see a cleric that isn't stuck in cloth armor, it'll take a bit more than that to convince many that there's something worth funding here.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Very original concept,  a cleric! They can use staves? They heal?

I smell another themepark game, give us some different concepts, some more freedom. We already have 23536 games clerics heal, warriors have heavy armor and carry 2 handed swords, rogues stabby stabby people and cool ninja costumes...

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

I don't care what gear or weapon you have clerics should never be decent dps. People don't roll Clerics to do this shit, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

They are trying to ruin Cleric like every other MMO. Pantheon Cleric should be just like EQ classic Cleric, aka the opposite of every modern MMO. Not some robed hybrid, or 2 handed dps class. But a fully armored, highly sought after group class that puts all other healers to shame.

Watering Cleric down with all these stupid "talent specs" just dumbs down the class for the people that actually enjoy dedicated life saving.

/facepalm

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by trancefate
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

I don't care what gear or weapon you have clerics should never be decent dps. People don't roll Clerics to do this shit, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

They are trying to ruin Cleric like every other MMO. Pantheon Cleric should be just like EQ classic Cleric, aka the opposite of every modern MMO. Not some robed hybrid, or 2 handed dps class. But a fully armored, highly sought after group class that puts all other healers to shame.

Watering Cleric down with all these stupid "talent specs" just dumbs down the class for the people that actually enjoy dedicated life saving.

/facepalm

[mod edit]

Not that your response has anything to do with Pantheons themepark class design but:

Clerics in D&D don't wear robes or use 2 handers/staves or tomes. The fact you could power build them into dps was never intended and not in the spirit of the Cleric class anyways. Still I'd even prefer the D&D Cleric over WOW talent specs or running around with a robe, scepter and tome like it's GW2 something =P

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I think that they are hinting towards a system where you can customize your build, and I do think, even if the cleric will be able to melee, it will mainly be the healing spec. healer that will be wanted for these groups, dungeons and raids.

The more dps spec. clerics will be viable for group stuff and maybe some lower dungeon stuff, so you can maybe play a little more active, but the bigger healing role doesn't have to disappear to have versatility.  I just think they want to make it so the cleric is more attractive to people, since you won't have to be in heal only mode all the time.

We will see, but I do not take 'decent dps', as meaning the end to a strong cleric healer, I see it as maybe for lower content you have say a druid and cleric both spec'd for some dps with healing and they both can be more active in the fight, when being spec'd for strong healing isn't a must.

I could be way off, but not knowing isn't keeping anyone else from speculating.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by trancefate

/facepalm

[mod edit]

Not that your response has anything to do with Pantheons themepark class design but:

Clerics in D&D don't wear robes or use 2 handers/staves or tomes. The fact you could power build them into dps was never intended and not in the spirit of the Cleric class anyways. Still I'd even prefer the D&D Cleric over WOW talent specs or running around with a robe, scepter and tome like it's GW2 something =P

The class is broken up into two different builds. One is basically WoW's Palladin and the other is WoW's priest. Not to mention do you think that Brad and his crew would not allow the armored variant to not be like the EQ version?

And i do remember Clerics being able to use two handed weapons in D&D

I think the armored cleric here is very D&D like what D&D are -you- playing?

Not to mention talent trees ala Vanilla WoW are -always- a good thing.

Build your Cleric the way you want and I will build mine the way I want. Just like all mmos should not be the same neither should all classes.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by cagan

Very original concept,  a cleric! They can use staves? They heal?

I smell another themepark game, give us some different concepts, some more freedom. We already have 23536 games clerics heal, warriors have heavy armor and carry 2 handed swords, rogues stabby stabby people and cool ninja costumes...

Not themepark.  Oldschool.  Not many quests.  No quest hubs.  Grouping to kill mobs.  Soloing will be tough in this game. 

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Which game(s) did they run into the ground?  Vanguard just released a new dungeon and still has servers up, SWG well sorry to see it go, but that wasn't SOE killing it, they tried to pander to the 'it's to hard' crowd and lost more than they gained.  So please hit me with some examples of games SOE has 'ran into the ground'.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Oh boy, a Cleric class that wields a staff, a tome and dons cloth armor. Where do they derive such originality? One can only hope the next class they reveal is a dual-wielding Warrior, or light-footed Rogue. Maybe they'll shock and awe us with a Mage that does AoE lightning fields. I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by illyana

funny title...

so when the Fallen has risen... they are no longer fallen? 

Pretty much.

What has been read, cannot be unread

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Ignorant misinformation annoys me.

SOE gave funding for 6 months after MS pulled out because brad failed to submit a playable demo that was bug free.  After the horrible launch SOE bought sigil and all of its property including vanguard.

If SOE did not step in and buy them out by paying off the debt sigil had the game would of been canceled and would no longer exist.  

SOE HAD NOTHING TO DO with development until post launch period.