Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ...Ruins people's Lives?

tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

"It's nice to know that I'm not alone here. My wife of three years has been hooked on everquest for the past 5 months. She was playing everyday of the week and averaging about 10 hours a day. Over this time she became distant, stop caring for the kids, and gained 35 pounds. All this time I was patient and raising a family on my own
behind her computer.

A couple of weeks ago she got really sick and I had to take her to the Doctor. Turns out she has been diagnosed with diabetes and gout (sp?) which is directly related to her gaming / eating habits. I had to look her in the eye and tell her how selfish she was and did she really want to oontinue down this path and possibly die leaving an entire family behind. The doctor backed me up on this and told her that she would only live a couple of more years if she continued to live the way she did

After this, I went home, and forced her to donate the PS2 and all of the games to charity. As for the computer, it is behind steel re-inforced locked doors and is password protected. She is no longer allowed to use the computer without my supervision. Everquest has been uninstalled and the CD has been incinerated. I have my wife back and so far we are a happy family again. Videogames of any shape or form are no longer allowed in our house."

Source

The answer is no...MMORPG's do not ruin lives, its these wierd freakjobs that have an unnatural addiction that ruins their lives. It just makes me mad how stuff like this happens and certain people label games as being detrimental to your health. I myself only spend 1 hour if even that on mmo's and cannot understand this type of thing happening. ::::12::

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

Comments

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

i think its more of their lack of real life social skills then anything else.....

i mean its easy not to commit a faux pax in the game world, but in the real world its so much more complex that if you dont have a regular persons skills you seem to be making huge social problems all the time.

that is what i think what makes people like that addicted to MMO's

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

It's the same old play on people's fears by the media and other sources. Back in the day, it was comic books. Then it was television. Now it's video games. In the future, it'll be virtual reality. People are always more willing to place blame on a scapegoat rather than themselves.

If you can't be arsed to stop playing a video game to the detriment of your life, it's your problem, not the video game's. It's like a crack addict blaming crack for ruining his life.

• TanjinTanjin Member Posts: 87

couldnt agree more Ranma13.. im tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. its not the game its the person playing the game.

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

I agree, I guess if you stick someone that lacks social skills and also has an addictive personality into one of these games its bound to happen...

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558

if you look at it, some people are affected differently. Others cant say everquest is the problem, if person A, plays only 25 minutes a day, and person B spends 10 hours a day. It just proves that its the persons fault.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If someone try to take my computer away from me, you can be deadly sure there will be 1 murder in the newspapers tomorrow!  Nobody touch my computer and walk away alive!  image

If someone escape RL in computer games, maybe there is a problem in the RL situation to start with.  A husband who act like a nazi "for the good of his wife" is still a nazi.  The situation evolves and if it get that problematic, there is a reason behind this.  His husband must be pretty hard to bear on the emotional level.  Just the way he write that he "bear that for 5 months patiently", come on, trash that guy, he is not worth a moment, he is trash and he is obviously part of the problem.  The computer and EQ are what keep her happy and you remove that, completely ignorants!  She would not play 10 hours a day if she had better stuff to do in life that please her (and if she has kids, she would be happy to raise them normally, I bet something made her unhappy to do her mom job and that something is most probably the husband).

He is more concerned about the 35 pounds than about her health, at least this is the feeling I get.  Been solo with my computer is definitely good, I gain weight when EMOTIONALS situations arise in my RL, not because I spend time behind my computer.  See, in my personnal case, I gain 25 pounds in the last 6 months...but the reason is not the computer, I always play a LOT.  The reason is my new job and my mom change a LOT (she starts talking, talking, talking, talking, talking and talking)...which result in heavy stress and bad eating habits...nothing to do with the computer.  I can't believe how some folks are ignorants jackass.  Removing what she find FUN in life is NOT going to help her.  This guy deserves to be trashed.

Why does she want to evade RL that bad is the real question!  Face it!  Don't remove what little solace she may find in computer games, it can only lead to a disaster.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• SackynutSackynut Member Posts: 558

i dont think she was thinkin clearly. IMO, what the guy did was good. They had kids, and she was probably gonna die from her diet. Of course, if games make you happy go ahead and play them, but not like that.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

LOL.  Enforcing a decision on a fellow adult is BAD!  She obviously needs help, but a physical doctor and removing her FUN is not going to help.

And he start telling her SHE is selfish.  But she has a problem and she is evading it, maybe she should just quit the husband and prolly resolves the problem altogether.

Why is she evading RL that much?  Why can't she stand RL?  She is not playing 10 hours a day because it is that good and she is that addicted, she is playing to RUN AWAY from something...and that guy is bringing it back on her.  Disaster.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• VrielVriel Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Ranma13
    It's the same old play on people's fears by the media and other sources. Back in the day, it was comic books. Then it was television. Now it's video games. In the future, it'll be virtual reality. People are always more willing to place blame on a scapegoat rather than themselves.If you can't be arsed to stop playing a video game to the detriment of your life, it's your problem, not the video game's. It's like a crack addict blaming crack for ruining his life.

I agree with everything you say except for the last little snipit about crack rock. The thing is, with crack, a percentage(be it a small percent) of crack addicts are born addicted and have no choice. Some of these children are able to go through rehab and recover from the addictions, but not without permanent effects on cognition, emotions, and motor skills. Crack truely ruined these peoples lives.

Still it's the mothers fault for smoking crack while she was pregnant, but that's another story, and there are many reasons as to why one would use drugs.

A much better example would be the series of lawsuits filed against fast food companies, like McDonalds. Those people had complete control over what they were eating, yet still chose to eat un-healthily, because it tasted good. Allthough some of them have depression issues, chemical imabalances, and or genetic disorders. They ended up with various diseases and serious weight issues, all due to there own accord of eating unhealthily. For them to blame a company like McDonalds for there own problems is asinine. There are many food items that taste good and are healthy for you. Well that's about it...

Just another gamer...

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

Originally posted by Anofalye

LOL.  Enforcing a decision on a fellow adult is BAD!  She obviously needs help, but a physical doctor and removing her FUN is not going to help.

And he start telling her SHE is selfish.  But she has a problem and she is evading it, maybe she should just quit the husband and prolly resolves the problem altogether.

Why is she evading RL that much?  Why can't she stand RL?  She is not playing 10 hours a day because it is that good and she is that addicted, she is playing to RUN AWAY from something...and that guy is bringing it back on her.  Disaster.

Thanks for the analysis Dr Freud.  I'm amazed you know all this without even seeing this family in person.  Why are you on this forum instead of solving all the worlds problems??

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

I hope someday we find a cure for depression. I've seen way too many lives fall apart or people not live up to their full potential because of it.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

Originally posted by Ranma13

It's the same old play on people's fears by the media and other sources. Back in the day, it was comic books. Then it was television. Now it's video games. In the future, it'll be virtual reality. People are always more willing to place blame on a scapegoat rather than themselves.
    If you can't be arsed to stop playing a video game to the detriment of your life, it's your problem, not the video game's. It's like a crack addict blaming crack for ruining his life.

100% true. image
  • midevilmidevil Member Posts: 32
    she probably isnt addicted cuz when i was addicted 2 RS 9i played 2-5 hrs a day

there are 2 knids of people in this world:those who understand sarcasm and those who dont