Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG should be removed from mmorpg.com

ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

They lied to their customers and changed what their game was entirely so its no longer SWG. The game shouldn't be given any support of any kind that could lead to new subscribers. Since this community is about mmorpg's it would seem a good position to take that we won't stand for a company committing fraud on its customers of the sort that they did with NGE.

Comments

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

You are too bitter.  Just breathe deep and let it go ... let it go ... let it go....

Since SWG will soon be ---> image

~ Ancient Membership ~

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

I can think of a couple of other games under the released section that should be removed and at least one from those in development. But, but, 80% of vets are still playing! ::::02::.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Just figured this could make an interesting discussion.

Merry New Years everyone :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

They didn't lie to anyone. One of the first things they tell you is game play may change during online play. Well it changed...alot ::::11::

I think what they did to SWG sucks and I'll never buy another SOE MMOG but some shots at them just aren't true :)

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Guess where all the whinging and such would go if they closed the SWG section.  Yes, this forum image

• nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288

Well, as the factual answer to your question, no it shouldn't be. MMORPG.com has always been viewed, by me at least, to have pretty fair journalistic standards. They were right on the money with Mourning, but SWG doesn't have that kind of scam feel to it, just blatant incompetence and hubris.

For my other answer, hell no. Reading the SWG forums is a great source of entertainment. But then again, I'm something of a dick.

...Pika

• sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648

Bitter table for one... Bitter table for one...

I don't see any reason why it should be removed. If you are that unhappy then don't give SOE any more of you money.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581
    As long as SWG is still up and running it should be listed.   Just because its a poorly run game is no reason to stop covering it.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

To the dark side, losing you we are!

I tried the SWG free trial...but the controls feel eery...and SoE may be granted enough trust to consider their product, but to actually embrace one in doubt...nope.

NGE seem to be decent and nice so far.  It is a new game, but a new game is better then what happen to AC2.

Give your SoE devs a hug, poke them, tease them, but please, try to reduce that level of anger.  They are honestly doing their best.  They care, which is a good start.  They need a vision image.  They figure that THE vision was bad, but they where not able to find A vision.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Now is SWG gottin that bad or is it that people are just getting kinda angry at the fact that the EQ feel to SWG is either gone or going, Im just asking cuz I was thinking about reactivating my SWG account again but only if the EQ feel isnt there anymore, Can anyone on this respected forum site honesly give me and anyone else a truthfull reason why or why not to reactivate or subcribe to SWG.

I mean after all the material that I have read of the remake does sound pretty good , Ive heard that the combat is more like SW Battlefront in someways I dont know thats why Im asking.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

Originally posted by Ramadar

Now is SWG gottin that bad or is it that people are just getting kinda angry at the fact that the EQ feel to SWG is either gone or going, Im just asking cuz I was thinking about reactivating my SWG account again but only if the EQ feel isnt there anymore, Can anyone on this respected forum site honesly give me and anyone else a truthfull reason why or why not to reactivate or subcribe to SWG.
    I mean after all the material that I have read of the remake does sound pretty good , Ive heard that the combat is more like SW Battlefront in someways I dont know thats why Im asking.

Log in and find out for your self :)  Anyone who has had an account and cancelled it before the 15/11/05 gets a free full 15 day trial.  You won't be restricted to the starter station either, and you'll have your old Character.  All you need to do is install SWG, log in to Launchpad and download the updates

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

They lied to their customers and changed what their game was entirely so its no longer SWG. The game shouldn't be given any support of any kind that could lead to new subscribers. Since this community is about mmorpg's it would seem a good position to take that we won't stand for a company committing fraud on its customers of the sort that they did with NGE.

Read your terms and agreement.MMORPG can be changed as the developers want .

Besides what makes you think others may not like the changes?

I recall when i left a while ago as many of my online buddies because they let loose the jedis and killed the story.

So i just left no spam ,no sleepless nights.

Seems the crop that followed was the "i wanna be an uber jedi and mow things down".And from what i understand from people still playing this is the disgruntled people mainly because its much easier to be a jedi now and they are not a super overpowered class no more.

The actual people like CH who lost their profession altogether have been disappointed and left or adjusted quietly.

• HadesprimeHadesprime Member Posts: 303

if you want to remove SWG for lying than you have to as well games like horizons and Everquest. They all lied too.

There was a time and there still is now somewhat where an MMO CEO would say just about anything to lure in subscribers or keep them. Its a symptom of a subscription costs big bucks dependant industry.

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Well Its a mmorpg and this site is about that genre. Because you dont like the game does not mean they should remove it. Heck like 85% of the games on the list is shit.
  • SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by DamonVile
    They didn't lie to anyone. One of the first things they tell you is game play may change during online play. Well it changed...alot ::::11::I think what they did to SWG sucks and I'll never buy another SOE MMOG but some shots at them just aren't true :)

That statement is in reference to the ESRB rating, silly! ::::31::

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

There seems to be a lot of anger in the OP. Calm thyself young padawan. Anger destroys the force. I liked the NGE, not enough to resub after the free trial but anything was a improvement over the original system in my opinion.

I miss DAoC

• DarktongueDarktongue Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by nexus42

Well, as the factual answer to your question, no it shouldn't be. MMORPG.com has always been viewed, by me at least, to have pretty fair journalistic standards. They were right on the money with Mourning, but SWG doesn't have that kind of scam feel to it, just blatant incompetence and hubris.

For my other answer, hell no. Reading the SWG forums is a great source of entertainment. But then again, I'm something of a dick.

SWG devs scammed players imo. They made a game , got them invested in it then  made another game and switched the code. Experience may change online yes but how many would calmy sit back if, for example Blizzard redid WoW into tetris clone over night? none.

SOE are scammers and unless you played SWG for any length of time  you cant throw bitter comments at the OP to be fair.

I'll give you bitter. I personally hope that swg now bombs totally and becomes an albatross around SOE's neck. Lets hope it costs them $$$$$$ to do anything with it now.

Next thing SOE wil be transferring everyone from EQ/EQ2 to Planetside, oh dear game plays changed but oh well, suck it up.

Scammers.

Originally posted by Darktongue

SWG devs scammed players imo. They made a game , got them invested in it then  made another game and switched the code. Experience may change online yes but how many would calmy sit back if, for example Blizzard redid WoW into tetris clone over night? none.

SOE are scammers and unless you played SWG for any length of time  you cant throw bitter comments at the OP to be fair.

I'll give you bitter. I personally hope that swg now bombs totally and becomes an albatross around SOE's neck. Lets hope it costs them $$$$$$ to do anything with it now.

Next thing SOE wil be transferring everyone from EQ/EQ2 to Planetside, oh dear game plays changed but oh well, suck it up.

Scammers.

Yes...back when they released the game they thought "We'll make it lik ethis, get people playing then change it all!!111" image.  They did what thought had to be done to SAVE the game.  Depsite what you say, the game ain't dieing.  And yeah, I've been playing since the first week the game came out.

Oh, I don't know... I don't think there was a scam intended from the start. That's just a daft thought. The last expansion was a bit "scammy", in my opinion.

Originally posted by Signe

Oh, I don't know... I don't think there was a scam intended from the start. That's just a daft thought. The last expansion was a bit "scammy", in my opinion.

Maybe, but they offered refunds for those that felt scammed :)

Originally posted by Obraik
    Oh, I don't know... I don't think there was a scam intended from the start. That's just a daft thought. The last expansion was a bit "scammy", in my opinion.Maybe, but they offered refunds for those that felt scammed :)

That's true but they didn't right at first. I have to wonder if complaints contributed to their motivation. I shouldn't think Sony would care much about complaints but LA seems to be a bit possessive of their trademark. Remember that lawsuit about the company who first made their action figures? They felt the quality was too low (it was being outsourced to China) and violated the contract with the manufacturer. There might be that sort of caveat in the contract between them... you know... bringing the good name of Star Wars into disrepute?

I don't know. I think the fact that they released that expansion without mentioning what was about to happen, was rather unethical. Offering refunds is a good thing, but hardly makes it less unethical.

Originally posted by Obraik

Maybe, but they offered refunds for those that felt scammed :)

That's true but they didn't right at first. I have to wonder if complaints contributed to their motivation. I shouldn't think Sony would care much about complaints but LA seems to be a bit possessive of their trademark. Remember that lawsuit about the company who first made their action figures? They felt the quality was too low (it was being outsourced to China) and violated the contract with the manufacturer. There might be that sort of caveat in the contract between them... you know... bringing the good name of Star Wars into disrepute?

I don't know. I think the fact that they released that expansion without mentioning what was about to happen, was rather unethical. Offering refunds is a good thing, but hardly makes it less unethical.

Yeah it was a bit dodgy, I agree.  Technically though, the expansion didn't change with the NGE, it was still what you payed for and you could still do all the quests.  Based on that, you were still getting what you payed for, and they didn't really have to do a refund if they didn't want to.  Some make mention of the CH taming necklace, but that was never part of any official marketing, just mentioned in a Dev Q&A.

• nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288

Don't mistake me for an SOE apologist, I don't have any warm and fuzzys towards the company either (though Raph is a cool guy). But still, big difference between SWG and Mourning. If this site is going to be about MMORPGs then it has to abide by certain standards, and SWG still fits the bill as an MMORPG worthy of notice.

For how much longer? Eh, don't care but if I were SWG I wouldn't buy any green bananas.

...Pika

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

For how much longer? Eh, don't care but if I were SWG I wouldn't buy any green bananas.

I would not start counting the game out just yet. I just did the free trial, and the servers seemed to me to be busier than the last time I played which was last August. I liked the new system better but will hold off and see what they do in the next month or two before I re sub.

I miss DAoC

• Stickman101Stickman101 Member Posts: 34

Someone call the crazy houseimage