Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is wizard 101 really worth playing?

Renton81Renton81 Member Posts: 92
Lately,I've been seeing a alot of advertisements and reasons for people to play Wizard101. But what I want to know before registering and downloading this game,is this mmorpg worthwhile to play and worth the trouble to download it onto my computer?

Received my first Free UGC code! :)
Claim your Free UGC code Here

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Yes. It's a fun game, and it has streaming client so the download isn't bad.

• kraa26kraa26 Member Posts: 12

Wizard101 . is a card based MMO.. So if you like the stratagy of building your deck, organizing your creatures then it is a very fun game.  PVP is pretty fun.. can be quiet competitive and pretty fun if your trying to get that certain card.. flaw in the game is.. what happens when you don't get the cards you need.. or setting your deck too small to get the cards you want, and fight takes too long.

I really enjoy the stratagy of deck building

They also have a great housing system, and lots of options for it. 

The only downside for me is there is no raiding... not sure how you could set that up.. but that would be fun.  The game is a good break from other MMO's.. and realitivly free.. I say that, because you can get crowns and just buy zones as you need them.. then never have to spend more money.. but to get all the zones it would be fairly expensive

Kraa26

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Once you get to about level 10, you'll be locked into the "free" zones. I looked at unlocking all the zones and it looked like unlocking the entire game would cost about $60 dollars. You wouldn't have to do it all at once, and there is plenty of free time to decide if you like the game.

It does have some familiar things, like traveling around requires some thought so you don't aggro everything around you. Building your character's skills takes a little bit of planning later on too. You get to decide how you want your character built, so it felt pretty free.

The combat is turned based, using the cards that you pickup. I don't remember exactly how your skills figured into this, but the cards and the skills worked together, or your skills gave you access to cards or something. It's been awhile.

The content is very dense, so there is very little wasted space. The physical area isn't as large as other MMOs, but there is still an element of exploration and travel involved.

I think the game is well worth the time to download and play. Even if you don't decide to spend some money and unlock later zones, the free time will not be wasted.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Regular_m4nRegular_m4n Member Posts: 4
    Trust me you will love this game. If your willing to pay some $$$$$ you will have a fun time. I have it, I love, I buy crowns(what you get for money), and its totally worth it. I hope to see you in the spiral!
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    It's definitely worth trying out. It's not for everyone, but there are some really great game systems inside. 

<3

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

Wizard101 is a great game, easy to play and lots of things to enjoy! 

• ArmorDillianArmorDillian Member UncommonPosts: 275

one of very few games I have played since they started, company usually ruin the game after a few years but wizard still going strong.

The only real bad thing is the pvp, a high level 1vs1 can take up to 2-3 hours / game.

Sorry for my english and try this game out, you will not regret it.

Edit "how can I be a noob member when I have been member since -04" :)(

• lightdragon3lightdragon3 Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm still in debate about recommending this game. currently a lot of players are reporting they are lagging on the game. the customer support is trying to help.

as far as buying those hoard packs. not recommended unless you want some of the more common items in it.as this comes up a lot in discussions.

• Corwin_FCorwin_F Member UncommonPosts: 3

the answer is simple : yes, try it, it's worth it

because there is no trouble to install the game : unlike many other games, you don't have to download it all at once during hours before playing ;+P

the game will only download  what you need and wait for you to explore it to download more

now, knowing if you'll like it or not, it depends on you but the first free areas will be enough to understand how it is and if you want to go further or not

in my case, i only play this game now, i never find any game like this :

classic :

you can find all we see in other MMO (PvP, PvE, questing, gears, mounts, pets, houses to design, crafting, mini-games, etc)

original :

- the graphics aren't like all other games, sometimes you look at it like a cartoon, lol

- there is lots of references and sense of humor

- the fight system is clear, easy and let you focus on your strategy and the discussion with your team

- the questing helps you with an arrow, you're never lost

- you can have 6 characters on one account, letting you experience different kind of magic schools

- you can play as you want : just PvP, just PvE, just collecting pets, objects, etc, just design your houses, just meet your friends (the community is really fun, there is always many parties, contests, etc) or do it all, you can't be bored unless you want to ;+P

improving : there is always new worlds but also many updates all year long to get better game basics, you really feel at home ;+)

a wide bonus system :

despite the whining you can hear now and then, you don't need the bonus gear and object to play (i finished the main story with several characters before starting to buy anything) so it's really bonus, just to have more fun ;+)

there are many gear, mounts, pets, houses, objects, elixirs to boost or play faster, henchmen when you're in trouble, transformations to look like a mob, etc, etc, and always many new fun things almost every month...

the good thing is :

-there are always many promotions and contests to get what you want if you can't or don't want to usually aford it

- some are even sold in game gold (you don't have to pay to get gold, you win it in game)

- many bonus objects can be dropped in the game

so no one feels outsider (except those who always want more and aren't happy anywhere, lol ;+)

well, then, this game is easy to try, easy to enjoy and it's easy to stay in its world and have fun ;+P

i tried to find some other game like it but never found something that neat, especially the fighting system (but you can find the same kind of design and options on the other KingsIsle game Pirate101)

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

If you're willing to spend a bit of cash it's a pretty good choice. The free to play section is akin to a demo so you can get a pretty good feel of what's in store for you. 

I enjoyed the hell out of the game but wasn't really willing to spend cash on content unlocking so I dropped it. I recommend this game. Just be ready to buy crowns. Besides the devs deserve a little bit of cash for what they've done.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Wow my nieces play this game. What's going on did it get a patch?
  • AlexicywizAlexicywiz Member Posts: 2
      You don't have to buy Crowns to play the entire game, you can get a monthly membership just for 10 bucks! I don't about you, but W101 feels EPIC to me! Even though Crowns are needed to unlock premium content such as Hoard Packs and Lore packs, Henchmen,   Premium clothing and housing and more! You can still play your way through the entire storyline just with paying for a subscription! All in all, Wizard101 is a really awesome game worth at least trying, and by the way, KI RAWX :P
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    People play this game for a little while then they go away from it.  Its fun for a short time, but in the end, it gets repetitive pretty quickly.  Some of the activities seem like a waste of time, and filler in nature.   You will also run into lots of kids and predators in the game.  I work in a very large school district, I talk to plenty of kids and adults about this game.  Kids seem to love it for awhile and adults seem to tire of it quickly.  I will say the crowns system can bleed you dry so stay from them.  A one year sub for $60 seems pretty fair considering other sub prices, however, be warned, most people wind up not using about 9-11 of the 12 months they have for the sub the paid.  I would also be leery of people with very few total posts praising the game, they tend to be fan boys of the game.  Lastly be wary of KI's advertising, they seem to push certain things on their agenda and its easy to get caught up in this.  As an example, look at the Game of the Year Awards on here from last year. 
  • oranredleaforanredleaf Member UncommonPosts: 3

I have been playing computer and console games ever since the days of the Apple ][ computer (Ultima), so I've seen a lot. 

I find, of course, that games will appeal to different degree to different people, even within the same genre, in this case primarily an RPG. This would be especially true for a game that is aimed to appeal to a wide range of players and of different ages. After all Wizard 101 is oriented toward family play, meaning both kids, parents/adults, grandparents, so finding an overall mix is not easy. ("You can't please all of the people all of the time.")

This is my first on-line MMORPG so it is a different experience for me as I now can interact (or not) with other real-life players rather than just computer AI. However I have found it quite engaging for at least the 8 or so months I have been playing it. Yes I find it can get a bit repetitive (like so many others do), and I sometimes take a bit of time off . The "filler" activities are actually welcome breaks and distractions, whether it be gardening, fixing up the houses, doing mini-games, PvP, side quests, etc. Being able to find something to do if I only have a few minutes to spare is nice, rather than getting tied up in a hour + long dungeon or a 2 to 3 hour PvP match. Plus the chats with other "real live players" can be enjoyable and I can always just ignore the pests. KI seems to do a decent job with the chat filters and monitoring for creepers judging from what I see from other posters on a variety of sites.

A "feature" I especially like is the fact I don't have to depend on endless grinding to get anywhere. I have a pile of games sitting here that I just plain gave up on out of the sheer boredom of hacking and slashing and not getting anywhere. Being able to form short- or long-term alliances with other players or hiring a henchman (granted for a price) to make it over those humps is a big plus.

I like the Crown system actually, as I can spend only what I want, buy more if I need, go away for a while and come back perhaps days, weeks, or months later and know I still "own" those areas I "bought" rather than losing that progress when a subscription that I may not use (as the previous poster pointed out) goes to waste.

As for the advertising, well any business needs to advertise to survive. I know this from actually having *been* in business. I get pestered far more with ads for WoW than any of KI's products, and I don't even play Wow (hard to believe hey?). The "advertising" emails are few, and often are promoting free goodies or money-savings promotions anyway, which is fine with me.  

• animegeekie14animegeekie14 Member Posts: 10
    once your in its hard to stop although I wont hold back if your not a member and have your character live off subs (which is what I do) it can get boring just sitting around and doing nothing except pvp's or decorating your house over and over for no reason but it is a very fun game and addictive
  • ImolaImola Member Posts: 1
    ya and by the way, it says your membership automatically renews, so you only get to buy it once!
  • KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Imola
    ya and by the way, it says your membership automatically renews, so you only get to buy it once!

Just to be clear, it charges you when it renews. 

Wizard101 Memberships are recurring. If you purchased a monthly Membership, you will be billed monthly. If you purchased a 6 month Membership, you will be billed every 6 months. If you purchased a 12 month Membership, you will be billed every 12 months. 

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Corwin_F

the answer is simple : yes, try it, it's worth it

because there is no trouble to install the game : unlike many other games, you don't have to download it all at once during hours before playing ;+P

the game will only download  what you need and wait for you to explore it to download more

now, knowing if you'll like it or not, it depends on you but the first free areas will be enough to understand how it is and if you want to go further or not

in my case, i only play this game now, i never find any game like this :

classic :

you can find all we see in other MMO (PvP, PvE, questing, gears, mounts, pets, houses to design, crafting, mini-games, etc)

original :

- the graphics aren't like all other games, sometimes you look at it like a cartoon, lol

- there is lots of references and sense of humor

- the fight system is clear, easy and let you focus on your strategy and the discussion with your team

- the questing helps you with an arrow, you're never lost

- you can have 6 characters on one account, letting you experience different kind of magic schools

- you can play as you want : just PvP, just PvE, just collecting pets, objects, etc, just design your houses, just meet your friends (the community is really fun, there is always many parties, contests, etc) or do it all, you can't be bored unless you want to ;+P

improving : there is always new worlds but also many updates all year long to get better game basics, you really feel at home ;+)

a wide bonus system :

despite the whining you can hear now and then, you don't need the bonus gear and object to play (i finished the main story with several characters before starting to buy anything) so it's really bonus, just to have more fun ;+)

there are many gear, mounts, pets, houses, objects, elixirs to boost or play faster, henchmen when you're in trouble, transformations to look like a mob, etc, etc, and always many new fun things almost every month...

the good thing is :

-there are always many promotions and contests to get what you want if you can't or don't want to usually aford it

- some are even sold in game gold (you don't have to pay to get gold, you win it in game)

- many bonus objects can be dropped in the game

so no one feels outsider (except those who always want more and aren't happy anywhere, lol ;+)

well, then, this game is easy to try, easy to enjoy and it's easy to stay in its world and have fun ;+P

i tried to find some other game like it but never found something that neat, especially the fighting system (but you can find the same kind of design and options on the other KingsIsle game Pirate101)

This sums it up pretty well. I say give it a go. I play this game with my 14 year old daughter and it's a good way to spend time together since we live apart, especially with the feature that you can automatically port to each others location whenever necessary.

• jimpace46jimpace46 Member Posts: 1

Bad news!!!.. Bought this because my brother has been playing for about 5 years...  seemed cool. They had put a mushroom up on the top level's to entice people to COME AND GET IT. But that is not what it was all about,..It was more like come and take it and you will lose everything you have done for 5 years. Not only did my brother loose everything he has accomplished over the last 5 years ...but he was at a level  90+ and he lost his Houses and his Pets and everything he has worked on ....Bad News!!

His Girlfriend Lost all that she had been working on including she had personal paid for housing that she had created herself including all of the pets that she had kept for the life of the program. She had pet that don't apply to anything that they have today......

I am sorry but this is not how you treat your customers... if you want to up date then you do this without craping on the customers that have put you in the position that you are in today... If I had to guess how many people that you have craped on it would be in the thousands....not good...do you want to stay in business or do you want to loose your customers..............That is your Choice...... 

• KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158
    Originally posted by jimpace46

Bad news!!!.. Bought this because my brother has been playing for about 5 years...  seemed cool. They had put a mushroom up on the top level's to entice people to COME AND GET IT. But that is not what it was all about,..It was more like come and take it and you will lose everything you have done for 5 years. Not only did my brother loose everything he has accomplished over the last 5 years ...but he was at a level  90+ and he lost his Houses and his Pets and everything he has worked on ....Bad News!!

His Girlfriend Lost all that she had been working on including she had personal paid for housing that she had created herself including all of the pets that she had kept for the life of the program. She had pet that don't apply to anything that they have today......

I am sorry but this is not how you treat your customers... if you want to up date then you do this without craping on the customers that have put you in the position that you are in today... If I had to guess how many people that you have craped on it would be in the thousands....not good...do you want to stay in business or do you want to loose your customers..............That is your Choice...... 

If it seems too good to be true, it's probably an exploit. 

It's one thing to pick up a few of the same item and think "hmm something's not right".
    It's another to pick up a few dozen of the same item. Now you're getting into a grey area.
    It's wholly another to pick up hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of this item. Now you've slipped into the dark side and are clearly exploiting. 
    It's this last group that were sanctioned based on the egregiousness of their infraction.

Some sanctions were reviewed and reduced. 

Please check your email or log in to verify your individual account status.

• m2bdonem2bdone Member Posts: 2
    but not to warn any one and only post that it was wrong on the message board an hour before you suspend/ban people from a bug that was reported months a go.  and the only thing you got from it was in game gold. it didn't hurt any one except YOUR CODE MAKERS. and you punish KIDS, Kids who thought it cool they found a bug.
  • LoraronflaLoraronfla Member Posts: 1
    Looks like this note stung a little for you to reply, since you are ignoring the many thousands of complaints you are receiving about this issue.  When you introduced gardening, players found 'a glitch' that allowed them to stack plants and KI came down heavy handed with sanctions, but have now stated that it is ok to stack!  So tell me, I can collect from multiple gardens that are stacked, plants that nobody else has access to, therefore having an unfair advantage over other players in gold, treasure cards and lots of mega snacks for pet training, but collect housing items from Azteca that are free and available to anyone who can get there, and you place heavy sanctions!  Yes you reduced the 'punishment'.  This wasn't a beta test where we are expected to report, this was mainstream.  You have a team of people paid to hunt for this, but in many months they didn't find it, (a bug created by your programming team), so we the players are to be punished?  Shouldn't you be finding more competent staff instead?
  • FreedomkattFreedomkatt Member Posts: 2
    i've played wizard101 since 2010, i was the typical 80's arcade kid,  was there when things like turok and tomb raider first came on scene, I have always like questing type games. I am now well an adult and i love wizard101. Yes in the last 4 years i have taken time off between world releases, but i have yet to be disappointed. It starts out a little more gear toward younger kids but it evolves quite well and it gives you time to master your game play between new challenges. I know some people have said some bad things on here about the recent exploit, and i have to say in the beginning KI was a little harsh, but they did come back and reduce the 'punishment' as i understand it the ones who were affected did abuse the glitch in excess. Shockingly there were more adults i saw on forums affected than kids.  Yeah there are some  things that need to be adressed from time to time,  but that is always going to be the case as new worlds are released. It has been my experience for the most part KI does try to address issues in a timely manner.. yeah they dropped the ball this once, in my opinion tho the good far out weighs the bad. I gladly recommend this game to family and friends.
  • 4TheBirds4TheBirds Member UncommonPosts: 2

I have been playing Wizard 101 over 5 years and for them to ban and suspend  a huge majority of their dedicated players over a glitch in their system that had been reported to them months ago was unbelievable.  This company's policy was not to refund our monies in our accounts for remaining play time and Crown purchases that was already paid with REAL MONEY, but we were suspended / banned for picking items to be sold  in the game for "in game gold" that was available over a glitch that harmed no one, and no one was given a warning to stop,  just immediate bans and suspensions.  How convenient they waited until after the Holidays also when a lot of  Wizard 101 holiday gifts were purchased.  Shame on you Kings Isle.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Is it just me or are there a lot of posters here with a very short post history and oddly similar sounding stories?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.