Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five Fiction IPs We Want to See As MMOs

Comments

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The Terminator... Masters of The Universe... The Walking Dead... Song of Ice and Fire all good IPs. I would also add Dune.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Babylon 5:

Multi factions to play

Multi races to play (First Ones not playable of course)

Multi careers to play (Janitor anyone?)

Can be set to a timeline like LoTRO.

Can be set up with space combat ala Star Citizen along with ground visits like Star Trek Online (Earth HQ, Minbari locales, Mars colony, etc).

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Dune

Road Warrior (Mad Max)

Blade Runner

Tron

Robotech

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12

Surprised these haven't been done, but here is my top 5:

1. Call of Cthulhu

2. World of Darkness

3. The cybertech world of William Gibson

4. Starship Troopers

5. Dune

I know supposedly World of Darkness is in the works, but we all know it will never happen.

Oh, and a sneaky number six, Battle Tech. The only good Battle Tech game was made for the Amiga.

• ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80

Now that I think about it: yes! Both Thundarr the Barbarian and James Bond MMOs sound like good ideas.

When it comes to 007 I think working from the villains' perspective might be a better gaming angle than letting everyone be the super spy. You could start out as just a common thug,  move on to henchman,  then eventually right-hand-man and then you strike out on your own as a professional assasin or terrorist and work your way up to a criminal mastermind that tries to bring the world to its knees!

I'd try that.

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• WrockWrock Member UncommonPosts: 12
    If a company could make the game without giving us crappy gameplay or making it into another WoW ripoff, I would play the hell out of a Sons of Anarchy MMO.

If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough.

• DidelphusDidelphus Member UncommonPosts: 12

Marshal Law!!!!!!

That would rock!

Or Wild Cards

Be awesome to have an adult superhero game.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Lol nice list? I guess we might as well throw mighty morphin power Rangers into the mix as well.

Only if Bryan Cranston voices the big bad.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

1.Firefly-Nothing better than a space smuggler sim that lets you walk around your ship plan missions, fight reavers and the allience.

2.Conan -I know about AOC but updated w/ 1st person, more lore, carnage, and t&a. Like the books.

3.MADMAX

4.Dune-ultimate faction game

5.Vikings/13th Warrior-not like the show but just a real viking era game

In that order.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

They're already making a firefly mmo...it's going to be browser based.

I'd like Terminator, masters of the universe, mech warrior or a warhammer 40k mmo ( not like ET but will play that )

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    I would enjoy seeing an MMO set in the world of The Black Company.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

It's tempting to look at popular IP's and say "These would make great MMO's" but in a lot of cases I'm not so sure.  In a lot of cases the very things that the creators did to make the heroes special and being the only ones who can save the world also really ties the hands of the developers unless they are willing to break cannon.  SWG is probably the best example of this I can think of as the game never fit the cannon for the time it was set in very well and they really just gave up on things like The Last of Jedi and such.  Some IP's like Dune would work if set a few thousand years pre books and using the faction warfare aspects but than people complain they can't live in the time of their favorite books.  Also people will want abilities like what their favorite character have which again breaks the whole special one of a kind hero aspect of many of these stories.

There is also the need for PVP to contend with which makes games like Terminator more difficult unless they do something like how LOTR's handled monster play in PVP.

Even though there are some IP's I think would be fun to play in I'm just not convinced that most of them have any long term viability.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by rodingo

Dune

Road Warrior (Mad Max)

Blade Runner

Tron

Robotech

I almost never agree with you on anything, but both DUNE and ROAD WARRIOR are two IPs that I would love to see as an MMO. Dune would be so perfect. It has the lore and the factions built in.......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1
    I would enjoy seeing an MMO set in the world of The Black Company.

If they give the option of being a soldier in The Dread Empire and also letting us explore it, I may weep with joy.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I'd like to see a good star wars mmo....../laugh
  • tillerodertilleroder Member Posts: 12
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 37

A good IP for an MMO, to me, has to have a few properties:

1) A strong sense of setting

2) Not too character specific

3) Factions, and a driver for conflict

So, a Terminator post-Skynet MMO would work, because that's a powerful setting. Yeah, you've got John Conner hanging around somewhere but the post-skynet setting is certainly not about him specifically. It's about humanity's struggle to survive. And I don't need to tell you about the factions and the driver for conflict. Robots that want to wipe out humanity make fine fodder.

The Dark Tower, on the other hand, doesn't work. It's far too focused on the Gunslingers, Roland specifically. The setting isn't the focus of the story, there are very few locations that are well described. Everyone would want to be a Gunslinger, because it seems no one else in the story was worth a damn. It just doesn't fit. It might make a good video game, but not this kind of video game.

A few good suggestions I saw up there were Dune (big open world, factions, a precious resource to contend over), Mad Max (same reasons), and I cannot believe I'm about to type this: Masters of the Universe. That's a suggestion that surprised the hell out of me as a great idea.

Hmm... Has anyone suggested Suikoden yet?

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

1) Legend of the Five Rings (I loved the CCG and the books)

2) Bleach

3) Road Warrior 

4) Resident Evil.   I liked the idea behind Walking Dead but I feel the Resident Evil IP has more room for creature and lore flexibility and I love the survival horror genre. I would even be able to swap this one out for Last of Us but that has only had one game thus far.

5) Maybe something set in the Aliens universe. Some of my favorite movies. The last one is kinda weak though because there isn't a lot to go off of from the movies and books alone but there is room to grow especially with all of the predator spinoffs. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    The fifth element - Hunger games - Battlestar Galactica ( 1that does not suck).

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

I know someone earlier mentioned Steve Jackson, so something set in the world of Munchkin would rock.

Other options would be something based on Gurps or Seventh Sea

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Masters of the Universe

I'm sorry, but it would be the perfect IP for a MMORPG. It would like combining Sci-Fi and Fantasy into one game, e.g., swords, shields, guns, missiles, ships, mounts, etc.

There was actually a funny thread that was made about it. I'll link the images:

This made me lol ^^ and i dont lol easily!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Dune

Road Warrior (Mad Max)

Blade Runner

Tron

Robotech

I almost never agree with you on anything, but both DUNE and ROAD WARRIOR are two IPs that I would love to see as an MMO. Dune would be so perfect. It has the lore and the factions built in.......

See, I'm not such a bad guy image

But yeh I agree, Dune is more than ripe and ready for a proper MMO treatment.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Dune

Road Warrior (Mad Max)

Blade Runner

Tron

Robotech

See, I'm not such a bad guy image

But yeh I agree, Dune is more than ripe and ready for a proper MMO treatment.

"Proper MMO Treatment"?

Like Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Conan, Warhammer, etc?

I didnt know that the "proper treatment" meant butchering and mutalation

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Seventh Tower

Random Teen Novel series, but it was a decent one with a well-contained world and mechanics that goes a long way towards mapping out an effective game off the world.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LePetomaneLePetomane Member UncommonPosts: 1

Agree with Dune

Also

Alien/Predator Universe