Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

money grab machine

124»

Comments

  • pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by Volkmar
    Of course they are liable for it.

     

    If they f*** it up, do you think their next project will have the same level of commitment? Of course not!

    Same thing happens to a developer team whose publisher financed game fails to deliver, they already got paid and now they get fired or the studio is shut down.

    The only thing that change is who gives them the money and who tells them what game to make. Instead of having to convince a Publisher to finance them, they have to convince the public.

    Now it seems clear to me that there can be great deal of difference between convincing one (you need to show your project is financially viable) and the others (you need to show you will make a great game).


     

    There is a big difference.

    If your 40M business shuts down, you owe your investor 40M.
    If your 40M donation KS shuts down, you can keep your new sports car and west coast summer house(bought for money donated of course).


    Getting an investment means you are liable for money someone has invested into your company, it is a legal business contract of 2 parties.


    Would you pay upfront for a new house without any possibility to raise a legal complaint in case the house does not meet promised qualities or is not built at all?

    I guess you wouldn't.


    There is indeed a difference between talking to potential investor or potential donee. It is where KS bad business promotion starts - the funding being based on non-business related qualifiers.

    man you dont know much about business these days. Look into the amount donald trump has declared bankruptcy on compared to what he has. He as screwed investors out of billions, you never need to pay back investments thanks to bankruptcy and lawyers only if your complete idiot do you pay it back.

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,321


    Originally posted by pmaura

    man you dont know much about business these days. Look into the amount donald trump has declared bankruptcy on compared to what he has. He as screwed investors out of billions, you never need to pay back investments thanks to bankruptcy and lawyers only if your complete idiot do you pay it back.

    He still owns the brand, all his hotels and casinos, doesn't he?

    Bankruptcy does not neccesarily mean liquidity - selling out all assets and closing down.

    Bankruptcy also serves as legal process how to revitalize your business - under the oversight and court jurisdiction.


    In either way, you need lots of credibility to pull it off and with the Trump's persona, I can imagine the investors actually made quite a bucket of money.

  • pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530
    No he doesnt own them. And the investors ge5 screwed and you can not take his personal assets ever because he is in florida which has awesome bankruptcy laws
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by Volkmar
    Of course they are liable for it.

     

    If they f*** it up, do you think their next project will have the same level of commitment? Of course not!

    Same thing happens to a developer team whose publisher financed game fails to deliver, they already got paid and now they get fired or the studio is shut down.

    The only thing that change is who gives them the money and who tells them what game to make. Instead of having to convince a Publisher to finance them, they have to convince the public.

    Now it seems clear to me that there can be great deal of difference between convincing one (you need to show your project is financially viable) and the others (you need to show you will make a great game).


     

    There is a big difference.

    If your 40M business shuts down, you owe your investor 40M.
    If your 40M donation KS shuts down, you can keep your new sports car and west coast summer house(bought for money donated of course).


    Getting an investment means you are liable for money someone has invested into your company, it is a legal business contract of 2 parties.


    Would you pay upfront for a new house without any possibility to raise a legal complaint in case the house does not meet promised qualities or is not built at all?

    I guess you wouldn't.


    There is indeed a difference between talking to potential investor or potential donee. It is where KS bad business promotion starts - the funding being based on non-business related qualifiers.

    First off, I was talking of developers working for a Publisher, not seeking investors.

    Second off, Kickstarter rules speak of "Best faith effort" that does NOT include buying summer houses or sports car, so if some developer would do that with the donated money, they would be in breach of contract anyway.

    You can argue that the KS crowd would not sue them and they could get away with it, but Kickstarter, the company, would prolly not be so kind on them as they damaged their reputation.

    The only difference is with Star Citizen in particular as they seek private donors, basically. The fact it works should tell volumes on the level of trust that the crew over there has managed to inspire in the people.

    But if you look around, you will notice very few other projects manage to achieve the same level of trust with individual donors and if SC happens to be made of vapor, you can bet your horses that level will plummet to the floor.

     

    "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"



  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,509
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

    *sarcrasm alert*

     

    what all us cynics are forgetting is that the Lead dev invented space and space travel and spaceships and everything 

    or that what his fanboys would have us believe

     

    by the way im starting a new crowd sourcing, im after 1.5bill to make this uber game, and my skills include copying a program out of the spectrum magazine in 1982 and it EVEN WORKED (nb you have to have tried this to understand the saracasm at end)

    please send any donation to [email protected]

    for the record, he didnt invent em. he perfected them.

    check your claims before you make em.

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

    I know a lot of people are trolling on you (I'll admit, I tend to be one at times myself), but I'm glad you're using your wits. So many people here will hype and throw a wad of cash at just about anything that sounds or looks good. It's equivalent to how people threw themselves at the iPhone 5 without knowing until it was too late, how botched the UI was.

    You can generally tell if a game will be good. My advice? You'll spend less money with a subscription fee. I know this gets into that debate, but I won't be here to see it I'm afraid. With a subscription you're guaranteed (until the model changes) that they won't milk you for more money with micro trans. Why? Because it's a sure way to ruin their reputation, and game for that matter. If you absolutely must play F2P or B2P, the story of their eventual downfall all comes down to their launch and pretty shinies before you've even made your first character.

  • salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by apanz3r

    It looks like their main concern is to grab more money altough they allredy reached any goal they proposed.

    The "limited available" ships return again for a week etc.

     Bottomline : consume with  moderation, don;t fall in their marketing trap.

     

    Wise to be cautious when getting hyped about any game - especially MMO's.

     

    Moronic to be concerned about the financial model of this particular game - it's crowd-funded. The pledges are donations, not designed to line pockets.

     

    If something pops up that makes me doubt the direction of the game development I might be a bit concerned. But thus far, nothing has come up. Pretty sure 95% of people feel the same.

  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 986

    Nobody forced me to pledge. I payed for full game+some in game money + ship and all this for less then it will be the retail price. I like what I see. I think its a good investment.

     

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 37,025
    Originally posted by salaciouscrumbs
    Originally posted by apanz3r

    It looks like their main concern is to grab more money altough they allredy reached any goal they proposed.

    The "limited available" ships return again for a week etc.

     Bottomline : consume with  moderation, don;t fall in their marketing trap.

     

    Wise to be cautious when getting hyped about any game - especially MMO's.

     

    Moronic to be concerned about the financial model of this particular game - it's crowd-funded. The pledges are donations, not designed to line pockets.

     

    If something pops up that makes me doubt the direction of the game development I might be a bit concerned. But thus far, nothing has come up. Pretty sure 95% of people feel the same.

    Perhaps it would be more honest to start calling these "pledges" very early pre-order packs, since they involve promises of rewards.  Most donations are just that, you give with no promise of anything in return.

     

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • shellersheller Member Posts: 14
    Ok this thread needs to die.
This discussion has been closed.