Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion needs to do more to promote ArcheAge!

NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Below are links to the official ArcheAge Facebook and also the ESO Facebook.

*I do not want to start a flame battle between the 2, just wanted to have some reference for 2 similar games in development to be launched in the US soon.

https://www.facebook.com/archeage              https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrollsOnline

From their Facebook activity it is clear that Trion has not done much for an MMO soon to be released in the US and EU. With only 42,000+ likes this is a weak performance. ESO has over a million likes and Zenimax/Bethesda has not been too forth-coming with information on their game to be released soon!

Like I said, I am not wanting to start a war between the 2, just wanted to use it as reference. 

I think for many, like myself, who were excited over a year ago (even 5 months ago) for the ArcheAge title it has been too long with too little information for the US release!

Trion needs to get it in gear or they will lose many fans of this title, if they haven't already.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Below are links to the official ArcheAge Facebook and also the ESO Facebook.

*I do not want to start a flame battle between the 2, just wanted to have some reference for 2 similar games in development to be launched in the US soon.

https://www.facebook.com/archeage              https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrollsOnline

From their Facebook activity it is clear that Trion has not done much for an MMO soon to be released in the US and EU. With only 42,000+ likes this is a weak performance. ESO has over a million likes and Zenimax/Bethesda has not been too forth-coming with information on their game to be released soon!

Like I said, I am not wanting to start a war between the 2, just wanted to use it as reference. 

I think for many, like myself, who were excited over a year ago (even 5 months ago) for the ArcheAge title it has been too long with too little information for the US release!

Trion needs to get it in gear or they will lose many fans of this title, if they haven't already.

Archage is a Niche game.

Trion World is known for not overhypeing games, which overhype leads to more disappointment. Trion World usually let the game do the talking for it, and grow from there (Vanilla Rift being a recent example)

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    As of right now the game isn't "speaking for itself" either..... especially in the US. If Trion doesn't step up the publicity for the game they will lose more people. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Below are links to the official ArcheAge Facebook and also the ESO Facebook. *I do not want to start a flame battle between the 2, just wanted to have some reference for 2 similar games in development to be launched in the US soon.               https://www.facebook.com/archeage              https://www.facebook.com/ElderScrollsOnlineFrom their Facebook activity it is clear that Trion has not done much for an MMO soon to be released in the US and EU. With only 42,000+ likes this is a weak performance. ESO has over a million likes and Zenimax/Bethesda has not been too forth-coming with information on their game to be released soon!Like I said, I am not wanting to start a war between the 2, just wanted to use it as reference. I think for many, like myself, who were excited over a year ago (even 5 months ago) for the ArcheAge title it has been too long with too little information for the US release!Trion needs to get it in gear or they will lose many fans of this title, if they haven't already.

How about for once, people just chillout and not worry about hype.
    If the game is good, then it will be reflected in customers.

Asking for the hype wheel to spin up is just stupid.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    As of right now the game isn't "speaking for itself" either..... especially in the US. If Trion doesn't step up the publicity for the game they will lose more people. 

If they haven't named a release date then they don't need to do anything. Heck it would be  waste of money and resources.

I'm not looking at facebook so I can't see if this is true or not.

It seems from my experience with marketing departments that they plan out how they do their marketing, whether it's print or web, in specific steps that culminate with the release of the product.

What can they say other than yup, we are working on it. I also think that companies that hype their games too early do more damage than good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Trion, for whatever reason, does not want any hype around the game right now or they would be promoting it. It's the most bizarre thing 've ever seen.
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
     Heh, ArcheAge is a lost cause since 2 years ago ever since they made some drastic changes to the game.  Publicity or not, it won't change anything.  WildStar seems to be a way better choice.    It's sad because me and some co workers were really excited for ArcheAge, but not anymore.   And after what happened with PetroGlyph and End Of Nations, I don't really give a hoops about Trion anymore.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

We don't need hype like a year before it releases. It just entered alpha. As long as they hype it a month or two before it comes out it'll be fine. GW2 put me off years long hype cycle forever. If they hype it too much people will be sick of it before it even comes out.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Don't bother wasting your time with any of the Facebook pages, all but one of them are fanpages. The official one, run by Trion, was donated to them by the owner of archeagesource.com last year and they have done nothing with it. I don't think it is checked very often.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I get the feeling that Archeage is not "soon to be released" by Trion, unless your definition of soon is 6 to 8 months.

Besides, Trion can't release the game until XLGames give them the green light, and I'm willing to bet that the moment that happens, Trion will let rip with the hype machine. It's not like they couldn't use the extra money...

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I think it is more fair to compare it to another MMO with new IP like Wildstar, that has 149k likes on facebook.

If ArcheAge will be released in 2014 in the west i guess it will most likely be at the end of the year.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by iridescence

We don't need hype like a year before it releases. It just entered alpha. As long as they hype it a month or two before it comes out it'll be fine. GW2 put me off years long hype cycle forever. If they hype it too much people will be sick of it before it even comes out.

It just entered Alpha in the US, for a game that only needs to be localized! It's not like it is a full development. PLUS Hartman stated a while back that it will be months, not years for it to release in the US. 

I know time will tell, but from a business standpoint I do not understand why they aren't talking about the game more.... of course this is Trion and they are not the company they once were when they thought Rift was going to take on WoW.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

There is no need to hype a game, that is already slowly gathering steam in the west. To hype it would be a waste of money. Also it is a very niche game. So if they want to sell to that niche crowd, they have to be very careful how they advertise. If you make it look to theme park, you wont draw in the crowd that its meant for. I think they realize this, and thus why no advertising. Also the game only went into alpa (friends and family) the still have quite a few beta fazes to go through. They will probably want to make a few changes to adapt the game to the western market ( I REALLY HOPE THEY DONT!!!!). They will need beta testers feedback if they are going to make these changes. Once all that is done, then they can go ahead and promote.

Also look how well the beta is doing in russia. I hear its so big over there and its still in beta. Its the type of game that many people have been waiting for. no need to hype it. The people who know about this game, will drag their friends into it, and it will just explode like that.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

It just entered Alpha in the US, for a game that only needs to be localized! It's not like it is a full development. PLUS Hartman stated a while back that it will be months, not years for it to release in the US. 

I know time will tell, but from a business standpoint I do not understand why they aren't talking about the game more.... of course this is Trion and they are not the company they once were when they thought Rift was going to take on WoW.

It's just Alpha. What is there to talk about?

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

That will happen early enough. Also Word of Mouth is mighty as soon as the first Beta Invites will arrive. And as they have nothing to show right now, what should they do? As we know it's just F&F Beta right now, which is not much.

• KatzukiKatzuki Member UncommonPosts: 15

I don't belive we'll see this game for quite a while, first off they've had the game for quite some time, and yet they are 80% done with the first pass of translations which is 'readable' so... they probably did a Google translate of it all and they still have nothing more than a friends and Family beta of the game running. So don't hype this, this doesn't need hype, this needs time. But man i wish they'd hurry up, the game looks great!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Well, I think they mentioned something at one point about the Korean developers wanting to focus on the Russian launch first. I think it's not completely up to Trion when they launch. And there is no point in hyping something up so early.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Whatever you might think about Archeage their Facebook presence is not a negative... and despite the fact that I like what's happening with ESO very much, their Facebook presence is not a positive.

Things get promoted differently and aimed at different target audiences. ESO is aimed at a general audience of those who have played MMOs and TES games for a long time as well as those who only know Skyrim and even those who know neither but have a new shiny next-gen console with very few games made for them... FB and latching on to PS4 TV ads as they did makes sense for them.

Archeage has always had a niche following of hardcore MMOers... do we rely on FB for anything related to the MMOs we play?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226
    Originally posted by Iselin

Whatever you might think about Archeage their Facebook presence is not a negative... and despite the fact that I like what's happening with ESO very much, their Facebook presence is not a positive.

Things get promoted differently and aimed at different target audiences. ESO is aimed at a general audience of those who have played MMOs and TES games for a long time as well as those who only know Skyrim and even those who know neither but have a new shiny next-gen console with very few games made for them... FB and latching on to PS4 TV ads as they did makes sense for them.

Archeage has always had a niche following of hardcore MMOers... do we rely on FB for anything related to the MMOs we play?

Funny thing about ArcheAge's facebook page: I made it and ran it from 2010 to 2013. ;)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I think the best thing a game can do in this day and age is avoid the hype train. People get so worked up about the next new thing saving the genre these games never even have a chance to be a game, they're too busy being a Messiah to bored gamers.

These rabid fans need less work up and more playing before they decide what the game will be.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

My guess is that we will start hearing about it much more as soon as this year's game convention season gets underway. GDC is in just two month. I expect Trion will be there.

Whether you call it hype or marketing, timing is everything. You don't want to start the push too soon lest people loose interest along the way. Trion is much smarter than most companies in this regard.

All die, so die well.

• BajsN3rdBajsN3rd Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

My guess is that we will start hearing about it much more as soon as this year's game convention season gets underway. GDC is in just two month. I expect Trion will be there.

Whether you call it hype or marketing, timing is everything. You don't want to start the push too soon lest people loose interest along the way. Trion is much smarter than most companies in this regard.

"Too soon"

Mate its a bit late if you ask the community.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    I'd have to agree, this game isn't marketed at all hardly. This happens a lot when out of country developers come to the US. Marketing is a lot more important here then every other country. Though there is really nothing special about ArcheAge it does have a certain amount of appeal to a WoW fan which is why it doesn't appeal to me.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I want the game to survive and do well yet I don't want the community that mass marketing brings as they will most likely complain cause it isn't easy enough or something and attempt to dumb it down, unfortunately this seems to be the trend for mass market.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I just wish they target the hardcore MMORPG base and focus on that and not try and get EVERYONE. Always ruins the best games and people seem to want to know everything and learn nothing, also why our world in general is changing, stupid people man, so many of them.

If they could somehow promote the game without it bringing in the general casualness of mass market then i'm all for it, if it affects the overall product though i'll not support it as a core fan, atm though I plan to support it.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Trion are simply the publisher, the company that develops the game have all the power.

Trion can't do anything until they give them the game to release.  Pointless to spend a lot of money on promoting till they know when/how/if the game will ever get a release in the west.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Many North Americans may not say it but the majority feeling is and I will say it.... To much Japanamation! It will be very niche!

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"