Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen hits 28 Mil Tuesday, 29 Mil Friday, and 30 Mil Saturday, 31 Mil today!

13»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Darkfall all over again - mountain of promises and then at release...

Funny how people moan about greedy companies and unfinished games, yet same people do not hesitate to throw money on KS, which provides even less.

Chris Roberts surpass them all :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Darkfall all over again - mountain of promises and then at release...

Funny how people moan about greedy companies and unfinished games, yet same people do not hesitate to throw money on KS, which provides even less.

Chris Roberts surpass them all :)

I hope not, this has been a legendary kick-starter campaign and it's success or failure could set the tone for the future of crowd-funding efforts.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I hope not, this has been a legendary kick-starter campaign and it's success or failure could set the tone for the future of crowd-funding efforts.

Very unlikely.

I do not see any impact on greater scale Star Citizen could have, fail or success. KS/Indie projects, apart from majorly consisting of low budgets and inexperienced crew, have mostly flawed business model thus they won't make a dent in industry - instead of focusing on what people want to play, they focus on making what developers want to play. This kind of "business" is not going anywhere, such business is deemed to fail. It is a hobby, not a business.

Sure, there will be a few business minded people like Roberts or Dancey who will be trying to exploit KS and milk naive people but overall, nothing major.

Remember, more developers starting KS, less money for each of them.

Crowdfunding is likely going to be squashed by trade commissions, anyway.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by Hairysun
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo
    Originally posted by Hairysun

This is the greatest example of using players lack of knowledge about game development to build up hype. Marketing at it's finest, no lies, just turning everything around to make it sound good.

30,000 polygons for vehicle is a number for action game, where you have entire environment composed of millions of poly's, buildings, flora, characters etc. etc. When you get into a spaceship you have... space.... and planets....  space game should be counted like a racing game, where the main focus is the vehicle a player is using at the moment, and environment is kept in the background and isn't as rich. In that case, game from 2011 like Forza 4 has cars going up to 1 million poly per car. Now having that information, it doesn't sound that awesome, huh? Great marketing, seriously. Also poly count isn't proportional to quality, but that aside... that aside... wow, just wow... the poly count part made me giggle.

Nothing against the game itself, just that article part.. I had to make it clear so people won't get fooled.

While I do see where you are coming from with the difference between space type environment and a ground based one I don't see the intentional deceit you speak of.  They are basically saying it's going to have great graphics.  Great graphics with realism in mind.  You are right though, all the poly talk, CryEngine3 talk, 4K resolution talk is just that ...... talk.  Until we are sitting in a ship thinking damn that looks good it's all a bunch of talk.      

Although we are talking about a game that hasn't been released yet, the in game engine movies they have been releasing pretty much speak for themselves in my opinion.  

SHIP COMMERCIALS LINK:  Don't forget to bump it up to 1080p ..... 4K I suppose if you have the monitor real estate.

If that's what it looks like when I'm playing the game they can go on about the quality of the graphics all they want.

~Hairysun

There's nothing there that simulates a gameplay experience except maybe the brief shots of from the cockpit.

Correct ....

The point was that those aren't cinematic movies cranked out with 3DS Max and rendered with V Ray.  They are recorded within the actual game engine.  Providing your computer can handle the load, there is no reason why your game play experience won't be graphically identical.

~Hairysun

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Very unlikely.

I do not see any impact on greater scale Star Citizen could have, fail or success. KS/Indie projects, apart from majorly consisting of low budgets and inexperienced crew, have mostly flawed business model thus they won't make a dent in industry - instead of focusing on what people want to play, they focus on making what developers want to play. This kind of "business" is not going anywhere, such business is deemed to fail. It is a hobby, not a business.

Sure, there will be a few business minded people like Roberts or Dancey who will be trying to exploit KS and milk naive people but overall, nothing major.

Kickstarter is a hype vampire. The status quo is tuned out faster and faster. These 'real' businesses are gonna have to 'create' something soon.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Originally posted by FinalFikus

These 'real' businesses are gonna have to 'create' something soon.

Do they? That is the beauty of KS, it does not matter what you produce, in fact it does not matter if you produce anything at all.

Paid upfront with no liability for the money. Marvelous.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Very unlikely.

Kickstarter is a hype vampire. The status quo is tuned out faster and faster. These 'real' businesses are gonna have to 'create' something soon.

Elite Dangerous has opened its alpha phase to those backers who pledged that level, so there are some Kickstarters that are starting to progress.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I tried giving my foodstamps to them to help push the balance up but it didnt take.

Do they? That is the beauty of KS, it does not matter what you produce, in fact it does not matter if you produce anything at all.

Use cash shops to fund game development. They learned it from watching you,ok!! They learned it from watching you.

People are turning to KS because that's the only option. So it will monopolize imagination and hardcores in mmorpgs especially will lose motivation in my opinion.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

And the best part is that most people DONATING don't realize that it is a true donation in legal terms, so you wouldn't even be able to dispute it with your credit card company.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Originally posted by ego13

And the best part is that most people DONATING don't realize that it is a true donation in legal terms, so you wouldn't even be able to dispute it with your credit card company.

I think most people realize it. Are you sure that's the best part?

More and more are realizing that publishers and pc game makers aren't going to deliver.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Is it bad that all I can think about is how hard I would laugh if this game is vaporware and they make off to mexico 30mill richer?
    Originally posted by trancefate
    Is it bad that all I can think about is how hard I would laugh if this game is vaporware and they make off to mexico 30mill richer?

It's exactly what's expected. So no it's not bad. Enjoy yourself.

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

This is not at all true. Try doing a little research before you pull stuff out of your ass.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Just bring it on. It is going to be awesome.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Gdemami   Originally posted by FinalFikus These 'real' businesses are gonna have to 'create' something soon.
      Do they? That is the beauty of KS, it does not matter what you produce, in fact it does not matter if you produce anything at all. Paid upfront with no liability for the money. Marvelous.

You obviously know nothing about law or credit cards. You can dispute and usually recoup any charge on your credit card. The legal issue will come when the services rendered are not paid for. That is when you can be taken to court.

For donations however, you aren't getting anything in return so they can't take you to court. So recoup your money and let the credit card company sue whoever you donated to to recoup their funds. Happens quite a bit.

You should really do research before you post BS. Just saying.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    why do I always feel that AAA game publishers are using Marketing dollars to have people post here and on Gamespot to pew pew anything non-traditional AAA

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I haven't been following this game closely and have only seen things on it now and again so I can't comment on the actual game.

However, they must have one hell of a marketing team. Best of luck to those who "invested" that kind of money into something that doesn't come out for a year or two. (or three)