Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo

Are the Diablo games any good?

I'm considering buying it but i wanna know a few things. Do they have a guild system? And what is the max level

btw, how much does the battle chest cost? (bundle pack of diablo 1 and 2)

Comments

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

Good, but dated.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Having Battle.net doesn't make it a MMORPG -- ergo, your question is on the wrong board and moot.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Originally posted by SpiritofGame
    Having Battle.net doesn't make it a MMORPG -- ergo, your question is on the wrong board and moot.

/rolleyes

guildwars isn't a MMORPG but this site inculdes it.

Diablo 1 is old but it was fun. I never really liked playing it online much because eveyone had duped items.
    D2 had smaller dupe problem and was imo a better game all round.

I couldn't see the battle chest being worth more then $19.95..or maybe costing is a better word :)

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by zeldude
    Are the Diablo games any good?
    I'm considering buying it but i wanna know a few things. Do they have a guild system? And what is the max level
    btw, how much does the battle chest cost? (bundle pack of diablo 1 and 2)

No guilds, the max lvl is 80 or 90, I played the game a few years back and got to lvl 84 on my barbarian. WW FTW ::::35::

• GrayShadowGrayShadow Member Posts: 53

The Diablo games are great, especially if you've never played them, they were genre breakers (action-RPG), and despite not being MMO's they have had influence over the market. They have no "guild system" per say, though you can play on Battle.net and join a "Clan". These are not MMO Clans but loose organizations of players.

The max level is now 99 (I'm pretty sure), and the game just came out with a new Online Patch a couple months ago adding some new things.

The battle chest runs somewhere in the vacinity of 30-40 bucks.

Have fun and enjoy a classic!

Cheers,
    Gray Shadow

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I recently quit MMORPGs and went back to D2 and it's expansion.

It's the best thing I ever did since leaving SWG Post-CU.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

D2 is a great game. I love it.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• LeToe06LeToe06 Member Posts: 6

Diablo 2 was great fun for awhile. I used to play it for hours everyday. I never played D1 very much, but what I did play of it I didn't like very much. It was too close-corridors. D2 solved that, though.

The max level in Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction (the expansion pack. virtually no one plays D2 w/out the expansion anymore) is 99. There is no guild system. It's definitely not an MMORPG.

The last time I checked, which was close to a year ago, the Battle Chest was $50 and included D2, D2 Lod, and I think D1. If it's still $50, I wouldn't suggest getting it.

• ZepeeZepee Member Posts: 947

In my opinion, and not having played D1, I would say your better of only with D2 and LoD. You can get "hooked" pretty easily into it, but its mostly a grinding game. Its for those people who like to play to have better items and better skills ;) If your not that kind of player, don't get it, if you are... I can only advise you to buy it! Great game

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Played- Runescape, Conquer
    Tested- EQ, RYL, Freeworld

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    It was fun but after player GW/WoW and other games I would never go back to it.
  • AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

there mint! not so much d1 but d2 is awsome! graphics are lacking wat todays games got but who cares there still good ;)

• pinkdaisypinkdaisy Member CommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

Gotta love the knee jerk reactions.

Guild wars is a online game with thousands of players.  The towns are the only part of the game that's persistent (and there are multiple copies of each town).  All content outside of the towns is instanced and only your current party members are included.

This is analogous to how Diablo/Diablo 2 work.  When you enter the battle.net you are put in a chatroom.  There are multiple copies of many of the chatrooms.  When you enter a game you enter and instanced world.

The only difference is that the "towns" in GW are graphical in nature whereas the "lobbies" in D2 are textual in design.  Thus either D2 *is* a MMORPG in which case it is valid for discussion, OR GW is not a MMORPG and it should be removed from the listings and the GW-specific forums should be removed. 

There's a reason GW and D2 are so similar in design.  GW was made by Arenanet.  Arenanet was formed by a number of former blizzard employees who worked on diablo.

I suggest you head over to the GW forum and tell them to stop talking about it since it's not a MMO.

BTW: Diablo/2 are great games.  The original game's graphics are quite dated by today's standards, but D2 is still a good looking game.  It is a very well polished game, and much fun.  I would suggest playing Hardcore.  It's the only way to play! image

~PD

www.TheChippedDagger.com My 90-day 2D Java MMORPG project

They that can give up essential liberty for temporary safetey deserve neither. -- Ben Franklin
    If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. -- Milton Berle