Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check out my new zombie game

13»

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by mcool

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I really do feel like giving up, the journey that I went through to get funding was immense.

It's easy to say keep going and don't stop but when your financial future relies on it, then what?. I'll be in debt if this game fails.

I could've spent my teen years enjoying myself and having fun rather watching videos on game design and programming.

I need to think about it because honestly, there is more to life than this and I'm fed up failing.

It'll be awesome to succeed but If I don't , I'll join the list of failures who will never get their time back.

Is it really a risk you should take when you only have one life. 

Whatever happens , thanks...

I'm a self taught artist, and if I gave up when someone dogged me or I got discouraged I would be able to do some of the things I can do today.  When I say I'm really good I'm lying, I'm an amazing artist and I don't have any problems coming across as a cocky bastard, I am one, and I don't need to justify it because my art speaks for me. 

My girls an aspiring photographer, and she's amazing.  For as good as I am with a paint, brush, or some pencils, she's got me beat with a camera.  The level of dedication she's got with her photography, I wish I had that with my art, but she's determined to make a living with it and I'm happy to create things for my friends and family to hang on their walls. 

My brothers is an indie game developer.  He's made a bunch of games for tablets and phones, the ones that have been the best are just little educational type games for math and spelling.  A school has purchased a bunch for students, but he dreams of being the next candy crush. 

My brothers favorite thing to tell me is that the guy that made candy crush made a bunch of games that never went anywhere, then made millions off candy crush; it only takes one game. 

My favorite thing to tell him is, do it because you have the passion to; not because you expect to succeed.  That and to run a website selling my art, he'd make more money. 

• faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by faided
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I think these threads may be relevant:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374678

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374717

What does that have to do with anything

You don't think it's relevant that last time you came here to talk about your game, your plan was to raise $5500 on indiegogo, and give that to someone who promised to deliver an entire game for that price?

What's your business plan this time, anyway?

My plan is to add the finishing touches and then release the game for $10.

Once again this guy says "My plan..."  Just admit you are doing this alone.  Hell I would go a great deal easier on you if you admitted it.

I won't argue with you. I've already mentioned that I work with a team.

Freelancers are not a team.  They are freelancers.  They do a piece of contract work then they leave.  You seriously should get some experience at a studio before you attempt something of this magnitude.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I really do feel like giving up, the journey that I went through to get funding was immense.

It's easy to say keep going and don't stop but when your financial future relies on it, then what?. I'll be in debt if this game fails.

I could've spent my teen years enjoying myself and having fun rather watching videos on game design and programming.

I need to think about it because honestly, there is more to life than this and I'm fed up failing.

It'll be awesome to succeed but If I don't , I'll join the list of failures who will never get their time back.

Is it really a risk you should take when you only have one life. 

Whatever happens , thanks...

That synched it for me. Where I might have considered spending $10 to get an indie game that might be some fun (at least $10 worth of fun). I now don't feel safe spending money on you or investing my time as a player in your work. If after a year of toiling your still only half-committed; I don't see a future for it. I don't see it still being updated a few months from now, yet alone a year from now. And, that all makes me really question what the quality of it will be at launch (if it even launches).

Can't take heat? Don't bank on anyone turning it down to womb temperature for ya. I see developers who have actually released take 10x this kind of harsh reaction on a daily basis, from detractors on their forums. And, they keep at it. If you don't have the fortitude, and you still have other options open to you. Don't wait until people are possibly waiting on you for more to let them down.

This is why i have no faith in indie development.

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

Freelancers are not a team.  They are freelancers.  They do a piece of contract work then they leave.  You seriously should get some experience at a studio before you attempt something of this magnitude.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of "Team" then.

Just because someone is temporary does not mean they're not part of the team.  It just means they're part of the team for a limited time.

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101

Here is the link

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215634979

So far, we just have the pics but we are doing a trailer for the game this week. Bear in the mind that the game does not feature any post-process effects such as HDR. Once done, the graphics will look crisp. I put my game out there to here your opinions .

Tell me what you think

mcool, I voted "It looks terrific!"

I write horror screenplays and novels; consequently, I'm a huge fan of the genre.  I've bookmarked this thread and the link you've provided.  I'll be keeping an eye out for this (make that two eyes; three, if I had more).  Thanks for the info!

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• mcoolmcool Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Thanks for replies guys, Fingers crossed.

I've uploaded some new pics of the map. We have edited the map and added the image effects.

Tell me what you think

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215634979

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I think it looks and sounds very interesting.

Would be something I would probably play so long as its 'slow paced' rather than a "Halo in zombieland" game.

Have not read this whole thread but from what I can see- This looks pretty cool...BUT, I am anti steam, so in mmy case- I will not be buying it unless and until its sold elsewhere.

And before everyone starts telling me the "merits" of Steam- I know. But steam essentially ripped off my entire collection when they did their upgrade/IP check thing. I moved and my old email was no longer valid meaning (as I was told) there is "nothing they could do for me" even though I have the same credit card , know what purchases I made and have all my "old" account information. So.... I lost about $300 in games because they changed their system and I had not logged in in several months.

I'm really sorry to hear about that :(

We are going for more of a arcade feel. The realistic horror genre has been done so many times and I feel that a mixture of both is something we haven't seen before.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I'm really sorry to hear about that :(

We are going for more of a arcade feel. The realistic horror genre has been done so many times and I feel that a mixture of both is something we haven't seen before.

Eh- Still looks good man, I wish you the best of luck.

Hopefully , you'll like it
    Where is the game play?  For someone who says that is the most important part it is still very surprising that you don't have a single example up yet.  I mean not even a tech demo in a checkerboard world.  
    Where is the game play?  For someone who says that is the most important part it is still very surprising that you don't have a single example up yet.  I mean not even a tech demo in a checkerboard world.  

It's still being polished. I wanted to show a demo but after what happened last time when I released the early pictures and  everyone kept criticizing me for poor graphics even though I stated it wasn't finished. I decided to wait till everything is done. I thought the map was good enough to show, hence the pictures.

It's still being polished. I wanted to show a demo but after what happened last time when I released the early pictures and  everyone kept criticizing me for poor graphics even though I stated it wasn't finished. I decided to wait till everything is done. I thought the map was good enough to show, hence the pictures.

Alright, how about some play-blasts of animations then?

All in due time. We should have something before Tuesday, I'll keep you posted.
  • Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225

The game hasn't been rendered, once we finish that , it will look amazing.

Thanks for your opinion.

May I ask what you are looking for in a zombie game?

Since you asked... have you thought of letting people play as zombies and actually become part of the game... maybe even level up as zombies?

Ok I read more so it's not a persistent leveling game, but I'd definitely play if some of the zombies were real people and not just canned AI... whole new kinda challenge.  Just thoughts since you asked, no demands.

All in due time. We should have something before Tuesday, I'll keep you posted.

You are starting to sound like Tasos Flambouras from Adventurine.

Originally posted by alicorn

The game hasn't been rendered, once we finish that , it will look amazing.

Thanks for your opinion.

May I ask what you are looking for in a zombie game?

Since you asked... have you thought of letting people play as zombies and actually become part of the game... maybe even level up as zombies?

Ok I read more so it's not a persistent leveling game, but I'd definitely play if some of the zombies were real people and not just canned AI... whole new kinda challenge.  Just thoughts since you asked, no demands.

I have thought about that but tthere are many problems to that approach. One major issue is that zombies are slow in comparison to humans so if you''re playing against someone,they will always have an advantage.