Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirate101 Free to Play Changes

ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

Free-to-Play Changes

"New players will encounter Premium Areas earlier than previously. However, both of the following new Premium Areas will be given to all accounts that have existing characters created before these updates are released to the live game:

Prologue: Part 1—the first Premium Area will be encountered during the Quest "A Good Ship?" after talking to Dockmaster Dan.

Prologue: Part 2—the second Premium Area will be encountered during the Quest "To Jonah Town" just before players dock to Jonah Town."

Yup that's right KingsIsle is cutting on free to play areas. Instead of making Pirate101 actually free to play, KingsIsle is doing the opposite.

KingsIsle also falsely advertises Pirate101 as a free to play MMO. Is quite interesting how greedy a company can become. Is no wonder why people are leaving their games. Good luck with their business model.

Comments

• C_GlassC_Glass Member CommonPosts: 29

After having subbed for a month since the game went f2p, I went back to the website just to see what updates they've done since launch...

I saw an item cosmetic appearance feature, which was good..then I saw that it costed crowns... PER ITEM!!! YIKES! bad devs...very, very bad devs. You don't do that, you make it cost crowns to access the feature once and forever, but not continously per item...In some games like LOTRO, cometic slots are totally free.

Seems like the sentiment of kingsIsle being horribly greedy will continue on. Kingsisle, you have a decent game, don't continue to ruin it with greed...sheesh, atleast make it per-item slot, not continously per-item throughout the entire game.

• gemillergemiller Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I started playing this game with someone and was stopped at level 4 trying to go the Traitors Cave and the only other quest we could find was one to attack a ship we couldn't kill. So agreed, it's a load of crap.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

KingsIsle is the worst there is.  They make you pay a subscription or pay huge amounts of crowns to buy access to areas, THEN they tie tons of game content into their cash shop on top of the subscription.  Oh that really powerful companion you just unlocked by completing that challenging task??  Guess what, you now have unlocked that companion in the CASH SHOP to now be PURCHASED! 

Terrible terrible company

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

BEST MMO of 2013, according to this site

they even beat GW2

i smell something fishy

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I'm not a fan of Pirate101, either.  It was always too restrictive for free players; but these latest changes are poor choices, IMO.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

poor for the players, good for the devs..at least, for now

it will hurt them in the long run, if it lasts that long

• SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by simplius

poor for the players, good for the devs..at least, for now

it will hurt them in the long run, if it lasts that long

True. More people, like myself, might pay to see more content.. But most gamers are not wealthy, and frankly most MMO's give WAY more for a lot less. Ex. All items/quests/ no restrictions for 14.99/mo. 

• xBlazeParkerxxBlazeParkerx Member Posts: 1

@Margulis. You have never played Pirate101. - It seems so. And, the companions, you get from quests, AREN'T the companions in the CROWN SHOP, but they are just looking a bit familiar to lvl 5 companions you get from quest: Bad Company, given by your class teacher. And the other ones, Horses, etc, birds.. are familliar to firstmates, according to that, they have DIFFERENT names, DIFFERENT classes, DIFFERENT powers, DIFFERENT skills. And- You all are saying Pirate101 is bad. At least Pirate101 is not as violent as W.O.W, or Battlefield, or CS, or any other BLOODY SHOOTING 18+ games. And, they made TRIVIAS, which give you crowns if you pass-10 for each,-you can do 10 trivias per day, so that should be about 70 crowns for an average person who plays trivias, or 80-100 crowns for person who knows those trivias well, and is veteran player of p101 and w101. Now-Traitor's cave fully costs 750crowns, and there are 3 caverns in it. One is for free, second is for pay- 350crowns,-Cutthroat cave, Fire Ship, Master's lair. And third one for pay too-350crowns,-High caves, Captain gordon's house, red claw cave, Doyle's shack, The Flying dutchman. You get 3 quests from Lasko, and you must complete all 3 of them. So, thats about 10 days of work or less with playing trivias that you can get past Traitor's cave. And I did that, and i'm pretty happy with it, also did ALL side quests possible, to MAX my character up to highest level as possible. I also TRAINED my companions to my level, as well. Pretty worth it. Now i'm playing TRIVIAS for CROWNS, SO i can unlock JONAHTOWN. I have 320 crowns already. AND When i get there, I will start saving up for flotsam, that unlocks you 2 MORE PLACES WITH IT, CAUSE OF CHANGE OF more premium zone places. And they also made MANY MANY more updates, that did catch up for that. So, appreciate it, game is epic, fun. i've done wizard101 in total, and it was very fun, connected to real world. Pirate101 is connected to old pirates world, that still is using in RL. 

Great company, like every company has to make money, not talking about W.O.W or MC, which you have to buy from START already.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Cant believe this post is still around. Pirate101 is the only mmo I play still. As my time is limited. Can log on, play a hour or 3 then log off. Game is pretty awesome! Just made it to Marleybone and am having a blast! Have 24 companions, only 1 that I bought from the crown shop. The rest I earned through quests and leveling.

I like final fantasy tactics. Pirate101 shares that type of combat. If you are going to complain about a game. At least know what you are talking about. To the complainers, your arguments are definitely LACKING!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I played this game with my nephew, got to level 50 in about 2 weeks and we were both bored as hell.  This game has the been there, done that feeling if you played wizard 101.  No matter how you slice and dice it, Kingsisle is greedy and they are clearly modeling this in their best interests, not the players.   As for people not knowing what they are talking about, perhaps you should take a very close look at how Kingsisle has screwed many people over, directly linked people here from their site to vote for their games in terms of popularity and how many 1-3 posts users post irrelevant crap on here.  Its a clear pattern and has been for sometime.  People on this site are all too familiar with Kingsisle's antics and the users with low post totals. 
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    I played this game with my nephew, got to level 50 in about 2 weeks and we were both bored as hell.  This game has the been there, done that feeling if you played wizard 101.  No matter how you slice and dice it, Kingsisle is greedy and they are clearly modeling this in their best interests, not the players.   As for people not knowing what they are talking about, perhaps you should take a very close look at how Kingsisle has screwed many people over, directly linked people here from their site to vote for their games in terms of popularity and how many 1-3 posts users post irrelevant crap on here.  Its a clear pattern and has been for sometime.  People on this site are all too familiar with Kingsisle's antics and the users with low post totals. 

Playing to level 50 must have been a while ago. The game has changed completely since then. My buccaneer is now level 58. I get to train companions and pets. Have almost 300k gold. Am saving it til 65. Like I said in the above post. The game works for me. I hold a career plus another job. Have a wife, children and grandchildren. My time is limited. So the game works great for me. Considering it is a casual game. Also, please do not compare the horrific Wizard 101 with Pirate101. Both the combat and class development are completely different. As well as companion and pet development.

I do play Pirate101. I stopped playing Wizard 101 after resubbing only to find out in pvp balance wizard is still the top dog and in the 3 years of wizard101 they have still not balanced that class. Wizard101 you cannot attain top level or top quests without help. In Pirate101 you can solo all the way if you like. But I do like helping lower levels. So I have a hefty friends list.

As to KingsIsle. They have a really good game in Pirate101 and now a really crappy game in Wizard101. They are a company. So of course they will throw things at you to get your money.  What you want free? Then make your own game! You get what you pay for. Would you say Wildstar is a greedy money hungry type of game? How about SWTOR? Just saying!

As to 1-3 post users. I am quite sure they at one point are with any of the game choices here.

Originally posted by xpowderx

Playing to level 50 must have been a while ago. The game has changed completely since then. My buccaneer is now level 58. I get to train companions and pets. Have almost 300k gold. Am saving it til 65. Like I said in the above post. The game works for me. I hold a career plus another job. Have a wife, children and grandchildren. My time is limited. So the game works great for me. Considering it is a casual game. Also, please do not compare the horrific Wizard 101 with Pirate101. Both the combat and class development are completely different. As well as companion and pet development.

I do play Pirate101. I stopped playing Wizard 101 after resubbing only to find out in pvp balance wizard is still the top dog and in the 3 years of wizard101 they have still not balanced that class. Wizard101 you cannot attain top level or top quests without help. In Pirate101 you can solo all the way if you like. But I do like helping lower levels. So I have a hefty friends list.

As to KingsIsle. They have a really good game in Pirate101 and now a really crappy game in Wizard101. They are a company. So of course they will throw things at you to get your money.  What you want free? Then make your own game! You get what you pay for. Would you say Wildstar is a greedy money hungry type of game? How about SWTOR? Just saying!

As to 1-3 post users. I am quite sure they at one point are with any of the game choices here.

The consistency of posters with 1-3 posts in the Kingsisle games is clearly far and away more of an issue than other games here.  Kingsisle made a deal with this site, as they announced, then mysteriously they wind up winning the vote for game of the year and a plethora of new users who voted and revoted using newly created accounts so they can vote over and over again with Kingsisle directly linking them to this site urging them to vote, not in just one thread, but multiple threads.   Almost every thread on this site with Kingsisle games has posters with under 5 posts in the majority of the thread.  This certainly isn't a coincidence.   The uproar on this site back then was justified as the timing left many people doubting the integrity of the award when some clear issues were present.  In fact it was so bad, the site discussed a potential major overhaul as to how they would go about with future awards.

As for wizard 101 pvp issue you mentioned, I have heard about that and this is one of the reasons I stopped playing this game.  Honestly wizard 101 became a pvp only game for me for the last few months of my sub.  As for Wildtstar its a game I tried and didnt like so I can't comment on it fairly.  In general, I feel the way games are trying to fleece money these days is an issue, but some people are ok with it and if people pay, then why would any company turn down revenue.  What gets me about pirate 101 is the game was/is struggling and the restructuring of the system was a benefit not to players, but to Kingsisle themselves.  I understand the need to make money, but this was done and made the game less accessible and according to Forbes magazine, has left the game in trouble with subscriptions. 

I do get how this game works for you.  Based upon what you described, it seems to fit your needs as do many games for differrent people.   I only played to level 50 of pirate 101, because neither my nephew or myself wished to continue with the game, we simply got tired of it.  This happens quite often to all gamers so its not really a big deal.  We both felt the similarity to wizard101 was too great for our liking.  Lastly I won't make my own game as better games are out there for me.  As an example I currently play Guild Wars 1 and 2, Diablo 3 and Secret World.  All of these games are paid for and don't cost me a penny to play now.

The consistency of posters with 1-3 posts in the Kingsisle games is clearly far and away more of an issue than other games here.  Kingsisle made a deal with this site, as they announced, then mysteriously they wind up winning the vote for game of the year and a plethora of new users who voted and revoted using newly created accounts so they can vote over and over again with Kingsisle directly linking them to this site urging them to vote, not in just one thread, but multiple threads.   Almost every thread on this site with Kingsisle games has posters with under 5 posts in the majority of the thread.  This certainly isn't a coincidence.   The uproar on this site back then was justified as the timing left many people doubting the integrity of the award when some clear issues were present.  In fact it was so bad, the site discussed a potential major overhaul as to how they would go about with future awards.

I do remember that. I also remember Kings Isle advertising to vote when you went to log in. If Guild Wars II would have done the same. They most likely could have won.

You have to consider most players that play KI games do not play other mmo type games. So getting them to come to a site that is completely out of his or her realm is quite a accomplishment. That is regardless of our membership at this site.

As for wizard 101 pvp issue you mentioned, I have heard about that and this is one of the reasons I stopped playing this game.  Honestly wizard 101 became a pvp only game for me for the last few months of my sub.  As for Wildtstar its a game I tried and didnt like so I can't comment on it fairly.  In general, I feel the way games are trying to fleece money these days is an issue, but some people are ok with it and if people pay, then why would any company turn down revenue.  What gets me about pirate 101 is the game was/is struggling and the restructuring of the system was a benefit not to players, but to Kingsisle themselves.  I understand the need to make money, but this was done and made the game less accessible and according to Forbes magazine, has left the game in trouble with subscriptions. 

You must be talking about shortening the free to play zone act. To only having the free to play to act 1. Many of the things KI has added recently make the game well worth playing. That includes training your companions and pets even if not online. Having your companion train up different things like seamanship or plundering for extra gold. Or getting you gear while you are away. Or just leveling up your companion.

All of those are big improvements and offer some great perks for the player. While I can see the negative of making the free to play area less free. I also have to keep in mind that a sub or unlocking a area offers much more than a F2P player will ever see.

Pirate 101 is a bit more difficult for a younger player. As combat alone can be hard for someone young. That I can see taking away some business to the game. As of late Pirate101 subs have been on the increase. There was a lull but now it seems the population is increasing.

I do get how this game works for you.  Based upon what you described, it seems to fit your needs as do many games for differrent people.   I only played to level 50 of pirate 101, because neither my nephew or myself wished to continue with the game, we simply got tired of it.  This happens quite often to all gamers so its not really a big deal.  We both felt the similarity to wizard101 was too great for our liking.  Lastly I won't make my own game as better games are out there for me.  As an example I currently play Guild Wars 1 and 2, Diablo 3 and Secret World.  All of these games are paid for and don't cost me a penny to play now.

Thanks for the debate/argument as well as the conversation. I am waiting on Dragon Age Inquisition myself. We have different perspectives. But some points you are right about. Others, not so much IMO.

Good talking points!

I do remember that. I also remember Kings Isle advertising to vote when you went to log in. If Guild Wars II would have done the same. They most likely could have won.

You have to consider most players that play KI games do not play other mmo type games. So getting them to come to a site that is completely out of his or her realm is quite a accomplishment. That is regardless of our membership at this site.

You must be talking about shortening the free to play zone act. To only having the free to play to act 1. Many of the things KI has added recently make the game well worth playing. That includes training your companions and pets even if not online. Having your companion train up different things like seamanship or plundering for extra gold. Or getting you gear while you are away. Or just leveling up your companion.

All of those are big improvements and offer some great perks for the player. While I can see the negative of making the free to play area less free. I also have to keep in mind that a sub or unlocking a area offers much more than a F2P player will ever see.

Pirate 101 is a bit more difficult for a younger player. As combat alone can be hard for someone young. That I can see taking away some business to the game. As of late Pirate101 subs have been on the increase. There was a lull but now it seems the population is increasing.

Thanks for the debate/argument as well as the conversation. I am waiting on Dragon Age Inquisition myself. We have different perspectives. But some points you are right about. Others, not so much IMO.

Good talking points!

No problem, glad to discuss and BTW, Oh the irony, guess what game I game I waiting for as well.  ;)

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This company is the worse. Its a parent trap. I feel sorry for parents that get sucked into believing both of their games are f2p. They are clearly not and you can bet they are linking people from their site to promote their games. Greed is number one with these guys.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Hariken
    This company is the worse. Its a parent trap. I feel sorry for parents that get sucked into believing both of their games are f2p. They are clearly not and you can bet they are linking people from their site to promote their games. Greed is number one with these guys.

I can kind of understand where you're coming from. I remember when I was kid I would tell my parents something along the lines of "Well, this and that is free and it was a lot of fun, but it costs money in order to get that part." When a parent looks at and experiences stuff like that, they are willing to consider taking the dive and opening the wallet, and that's exactly what KI is trying to convince all the parents out there to do.

They are banking on false advertisement in that the parent or child will see "Free to Play" written all over it, not even consider reading into it (which, unfortunately, is the majority of people), then play until they hit that wall of shame. At that point, the parents almost can't say no otherwise the child will whine and complain. Oh, but that's where the "family packs" come in.

At least be honest with your playerbase, KI, and L2 ethics a little bit.

Isaiah 41:10
  • ertad678678ertad678678 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Pirate101, like you said, is only free by name. You have to pay if you want to get the actual experience. However, I could say the same about basically every other MMORPG game I've tried out in the past few years, such as WoW and Wizard101. Companies such as Blizzard and Kingsisle would not have gotten to where they are now if people did not pay-to-play.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Yeah the greed is directed at kids and their parents. If your a parent you should pray your child doesn't find out about either game this company has.