Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At the moment 1.55million PC playing Skyrim, not bad!

2»

Comments

• fraguerofraguero Member Posts: 2

those 1.5 mill are users from the community that are in a game, where the heck did you get that it was people in skyrim? because of the icon below? those are your YOUR RECENTLY PLAYED GAMES and your YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED HUBS, it's different for everyone.

Go to  http://steamcommunity.com/ and you guys will see.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Jimmy562
    What happened to cause this many people playing? I rarely see more than 50-60k playing Skyrim except at launch, unless I am missing something when it comes to steam showing us how many people are playing.

there are so many mods to keep a lot of people playing and replaying and never having the exact same experience. The game was great from the beginning and thanks to the modding community on PC its so much better.

Thats a huge problem with mmos. When you try to replay another character you have exactly the same experience, which sucks terribly. Ive played Skyrim with over 100 mods and had more fun than the generic mmos we have. Thanks to the Skyrim modders. I already took a break but will go back once i buy the last two DLCs which for even more expanded experience (including DLC specific mods). Its just too good.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Could have just gone to Steam's top 10 games of the day to see how much of a troll this was (or "honest mistake" by those who always believe the best in people despite how people actually are on the internet).

But of course this thread goes on and so many other people get bans/warnings for not making massively lying posts.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

An honest mistake. Cut the guy some slack. 

It would have been best to ignore the thread all together but you know how it is. We forum posters (not all, I guess) suffer from you-know-what:

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Regardless, Skyrim is a hugely successful game. I do wish more development teams and publishers would get behind these virtual world PVE sandbox-like exploration and adventure RPG games to create some competition, push the genre forward, and give me some alternatives to Bethesda stuff to  play.  :)

You would think there would be at least one successful copycat franchise by now. With the numbers these games pull in you would think some one else would want to earn their dollars too.

The main reason you don't see more of them is because pretty much every other major publisher has some form of a "must have multiplayer" edict that the developers have to obey, so you end up with games that are either designed from the ground up to be multiplayer or single player games forced into having multiplayer components  (think Sim City 5 Mass Effect 3).

I was actually worried that Bethesda would change when Zenimax bought them, but so far those fears have been unfounded.

You make me like charity

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Honestly Skyrim is nothing short of amazing, which is only going to make TESO seem worse at release.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Regardless, Skyrim is a hugely successful game. I do wish more development teams and publishers would get behind these virtual world PVE sandbox-like exploration and adventure RPG games to create some competition, push the genre forward, and give me some alternatives to Bethesda stuff to  play.  :)

You would think there would be at least one successful copycat franchise by now. With the numbers these games pull in you would think some one else would want to earn their dollars too.

The main reason you don't see more of them is because pretty much every other major publisher has some form of a "must have multiplayer" edict that the developers have to obey, so you end up with games that are either designed from the ground up to be multiplayer or single player games forced into having multiplayer components  (think Sim City 5 Mass Effect 3).

I was actually worried that Bethesda would change when Zenimax bought them, but so far those fears have been unfounded.

Dude, that still doesn't cut it. I mean most people would prefer Skyrim with optional co-op multiplayer to the coming MMORPG as it stands now and it would cost much less than an MMORPG to develop. There is more than enough market incentive and player interest for that type of game but as of right now no one has anything to compete in their lineup. Its just wrong and some body needs to get on the ball and earn the waiting fortune. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Dude, that still doesn't cut it. I mean most people would prefer Skyrim with optional co-op multiplayer to the coming MMORPG as it stands now and it would cost much less than an MMORPG to develop. There is more than enough market incentive and player interest for that type of game but as of right now no one has anything to compete in their lineup. Its just wrong and some body needs to get on the ball and earn the waiting fortune. 

You might want to consider the possibility that the ES games are so good because they aren't spending time on developing multiplayer components, and instead are focused on delivering great single player games.  Adding multiplayer isn't exactly a trivial thing to do.

You make me like charity

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am wondering, where do you get those statistcs from?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

You might want to consider the possibility that the ES games are so good because they aren't spending time on developing multiplayer components, and instead are focused on delivering great single player games.  Adding multiplayer isn't exactly a trivial thing to do.

I would cite Borderlands 2 as a wonderful example showing that it can be done and done well in order to provide a single player or co-op play experience as you please. Some good scaling for those dungeons man... Bring that to TES and you got something. It's not out of reach either nor so demanding to put together.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by spizz
    A  lot more will play skyrim for PC but not just on a redistribution platform. Iam happy I could buy the game without any Steam.

I thought Steam was tied to any PC version of Skyrim outside of pirated versions?

Yeah it is unfortunately tied to any PC Version but you dont have to buy it with Steam and you can play it without running Steam.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/747523-guide-play-skyrim-without-steam-running/

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I am wondering, where do you get those statistcs from?

I'm never a fan of the word most, it's always biased and normally wrong but...this time, if I was going to bet on what skyrim fans wanted...I'd put my money on what he said :)

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Much more people is playing Skyrim  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wryDicO6WQ If you know what I mean )))
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Jimmy562 What happened to cause this many people playing? I rarely see more than 50-60k playing Skyrim except at launch, unless I am missing something when it comes to steam showing us how many people are playing.
    New Morrowind SKyrim mod?
    I doubt it.  That mod is nowhere near complete (no quests or actual Morrowind content).  

I didn't play too much of 0.9 but they have at least started the main quest.

Eh, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Remember that this project started back when Oblivion was still new, and they never did make much more progress than now.  The problem is that there are plenty of people who are willing to do the fun stuff, like building the landmass and putting the buildings and things where they need to go, because that's easy, fun, and has an immediate feedback mechanism (you can load it up and see your work immediately).  

What they need (and what they've pretty much lacked since the original "Morrowblivion" project) is a core team who's committed to the actual quests, dialogue, and npc's.  That's no small task considering there are something like 2,500 NPC's in Morrowind, with most being somehow attached to at least one quest or function.

So yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up for much more than snazzy looking screenshots and videos because that's about all they can do.

I'm playing Morrowind with the Overhaul 3 Mod. It looks gorgeous, everything's in place and I don't have to worry about waiting for anyone to finish it first.

The idea of modding Skyrim or even Oblivion seems superfluous to me at this point, with the Overhaul out there.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

The Witcher 3 will start competing with Elder Scrolls next year.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Why not it is after all a real sandbox
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

its incredible to believe some people underestimate just how many people play pc games over console..  ill sum the delusion up for some people.

wow = 11 million subscribers at once max.

swg = about 2 million subscribers max

eve = 500k subscribers

guildwars 1- about 1-2 million subscribers

skyrim - reported at well over 320k steam players not including retail players.

then you have other games

rift

momento mori requim

lord of the rings online

world of tanks

world of war planes

the entire total war series 

diablo 3

all the main stream video games are released on pc and have substantial followings.

so yea alot of life on the pc front.. one would sugest!! more life than that of xbox and ps3..

there is one major fundamental flaw with consoles..  they have a life span before they are obsolete. pc systems practically do not. my last computer system will last me for another 10 years or so with the occasional upgrade here and there and it will remain more powerful than any console to ever be created. the average player today has a duel core pc with more ram than any console.   a mediocre pc owner will have a modest quad core and an mid range entry level video card which destroys console tech. the more elite hard core crazy pc games out their will have top of the range 8 core systems with multiple raided drives and ssd's  consoles are so far from this level of power its not even worth mentioning. keep your console games.. there all on the pc anyway. the pc also has alot of games you wont ever see on a console and its also home to mmo's pc is far more popular than consoles. if you all had any sense you would put your consoles down and get your selves pc systems. all the games you play are available in far greater detail and control on a pc. 

:)

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    did i mention my pc cost me a little over 380 pounds to build  myself..  :) so not only did i get a fantastic top of the range high tech games machine! but i also got a fantastic model kit with options to upgrade as time goes on.. your consoles cost you in excess of 500 pounds  and your stuck with the spec until it dies which will be in about 3-4 years time.. i think tablets will crush the console market. they already have some awesome things on them. most tablets are syncable with pc's too.  it wont be long till your playing pc gamers on tablets and your consoles will be doomed.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Everyone is playing Skyrim as they wait for release of Elder Scrolls Online, I thought that was a given.
  • r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97

As for piracy alot of console gamers will "crack" their consoles and never buy a game, as i am sure some ppl do on pc. 

As for me I will sometimes dl a game first to see if i like it, play it for an hour then purchase if its something i think i will play or uninstall and never buy if it doesn't grab my interest.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I bought my Skyrim legally from Wal-mart.  I will never allow Steam on my PC.  Steam might be a great service but you people are a bunch of easy led zombies.  What makes you think Steam is the only place you can acquire a legal version of a game?  God you people sound brain washed sometimes.