Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how do i turn off the ip checker!!!

zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

This is really starting to annoy the shit out of me. I played earlier today and took a break, but with out turning off the laptop or modem my ip address has aparently changed, so when I just tried to log in I got the shitfull message and no access until I clicked on the link and approved my CURRENT ip address. There is no point in them keeping a list of my ip addresses as they change frequently and most likely I will never get the same one twice...

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't think you can remove it. It's a method a lot of games have to use now because of gold farmers hacking accounts and using them to bot. I know if I log into rift on another IP I get an email or have to approve the IP, on steam the same thing, on guild wars, on wow, it's happening with most of the big name games, because it's an almost 100% effective method of hacking prevention.
  • zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

It is one of the fucking stupidest ideas ever thought up. Might be good if ip addresses were static but not all players have non changing ip addresses. And listing an ip address with them is not going to help me if someone else gets assigned that ip address, they will get access to my account easier!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    You can try the beta mobile authenticator as it replaces the email authorization.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Not much point in trying the mobile thing, I expect I would then be waiting for it to receive a message which I would have to reply to!

2 problems with this idea is 1: it costs money to send a message 2: I have no mobile phone service at home so I would never be able to play again...

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by zasten

Not much point in trying the mobile thing, I expect I would then be waiting for it to receive a message which I would have to reply to!

2 problems with this idea is 1: it costs money to send a message 2: I have no mobile phone service at home so I would never be able to play again...

I don't think it works like that - it is an app that generates a code that you input. No sms.

Considering the google authenticator (used for android phones) works even in airplane mode I don't think having a service or not is a problem.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Dude, if that's the worst thing happening to you in your life, so bad that it really gets you this angry, I envy you.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Abuz0r
    Dude, if that's the worst thing happening to you in your life, so bad that it really gets you this angry, I envy you.

I though a cancer biopsy was bad but wow, the OP has real problems!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by zasten

This is really starting to annoy the shit out of me. I played earlier today and took a break, but with out turning off the laptop or modem my ip address has aparently changed, so when I just tried to log in I got the shitfull message and no access until I clicked on the link and approved my CURRENT ip address. There is no point in them keeping a list of my ip addresses as they change frequently and most likely I will never get the same one twice...

It's a pretty brilliant idea as it blocks the Chinese from accessing your account even if they got your login.

I don't have a static ip either and yet it only asks me for confirmation when I log in from work.

Harbinger of Fools