Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

As we embark on an exciting new year of MMO releases, we reflect back on the year that was. Though 2013 was light on new MMOs, it was filled to the brim with games fighting for our attention. Patch after patch hit our newsreels. Games such as EVE Online and Lord of the Rings Online spun heads with their expansions. Two of the bigger new games, Final Fantasy XIV and Neverwinter, both impressed and addicted us. Today we reflect on the best 2013 had to offer. Join us as we countdown the top ten Best MMOs of 2013.

Read on for the rest of Chris Coke's The List: The Best MMOs of 2013.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I wouldn't want to have to be the person to come up with the list for last year.

" Soak yourself in gas and deliver this msg to the fire people "

You picked all the AAA mmos that launched anything in 2013. Congrats for finding them all I guess.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204

"With the first story arc only now drawing to a close, Guild Wars 2 leaves us breathless."

Leaves you breathless maybe. Leaves me hyperventilating and full of rage.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Galactic Starfighter technically did not release in 2013 and is still not released, it is currently  in early access :)

The list does show what a bad year for MMOs 2013 was, lets hope this year is much better

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    N2 Neverwinter nice joke...

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• DarbeliTrDarbeliTr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Weak list, but it's not really the author fault.
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by DamonVile
    ou picked all the AAA mmos that launched anything in 2013. Congrats for finding them all I guess.

Because like every year aside from when EVE launched indies have been absolute shit. Go fig. Who wants to write that story? Indy companies deliver yet another craptastic year for MMOs- check it out at MMORPG.com- yeah don't see that happening.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Trove Alpha should be number one.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

You know it was a terrible year for MMO's when Cryptic adds a new race that gets to play though the exact same content as every other char along with adding new ships in the cash shop and they make number 6 on the list of the best MMO's for 2013.

I honestly wonder if I will still be playing MMO's in a few years from now.  The quality of todays MMO's is terrible and no where near as good as it was when UO and EQ were released.  Those games might have had their own issues when they launched but they dang sure had more content and more imagination than anything released in 2013.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Very bad Mmo year imo..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Star Trek and Neverwinter?  Come on putting them on the list has most of the posters laughing out loud at you.  Cryptic is and always will be a lousy studio and since the PW purchase and extremely greedy one!

It was a bad year for MMO's we should just leave it at that.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    It must suck balls to have to try and come up with a list of 'the best' when all you have to choose from are the best of a bad bunch.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

The only reason I am reading this list is because I have no MMO that I am motivated to play.

Reading forums hoping for something fresh and engaging was the most popular MMO experience of 2013.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    this list is joke
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Ok  then, for the sake of discussion:

Say you had to come up with a top five list for 2013 - purely for the sake of ranking - what would they be?......

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Ok  then, for the sake of discussion:

Say you had to come up with a top five list for 2013 - purely for the sake of ranking - what would they be?......

I don't think there were five even average MMOs that released in 2013.  I might be able to fill a top-five list with "2013 MMOs that I played for longer than 2 weeks" though.

And yes, as others have stated, this list is yet another indication of what a bad year for MMOs that 2013 was.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    realm reborn isnt a bad game most of the rest are
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    If that's the best you might as well declare the mmo genre as dead. Seriously, out of 10 picks, only 1 actually had it's (western) release in 2013 ? And #1 is the weeab00 fellating simulator ?
  • OnsabooOnsaboo Member Posts: 48

Helm's Deep is the most ill received expansion in LOTROs history, just WHY is it on here? No seriously

• rkinne01rkinne01 Member Posts: 1
    I don't get all the hate for Star Trek Online.  It's not a perfect game but it is fun to play, the free to play model is much better than Star Wars, and its not the money pit some other games are.
  • tekhiuntekhiun Member Posts: 2

On Swtor

"By listening to fans and delivering on what they were asking for." well at least you did  mention arenas and how they  completely screwed over pvpers that PAID for  server transfers to play on 8v8  ranked warzones on pvp servers only to have that game mode removed from the game and replaced by arenas  .

Also  the 2 HM operations weren't  released as part of the Hutt Cartel expansion , the story line is not even related, goes to show how much you guys know the game...

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Final Fantasy was the best thing that came out of 2013 as far as mmos go. im still hooked on it so far. nice updates as well. it didnt do a whole lot new. but im a sucker for anything FF.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Some older games still beating out some of the newer games according to MMORPG.com.  Well it's their list.  There is no reason it has to reflect what others may think.  For instance I question their call about FFXIV.  Maybe the staff likes the idea of the Square devs not completely writing off their game and trying another release?  I can respect that too I guess.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    FFXIV, GW2, Neverwinter, and Age of Wushu, I dont think there is any doubt they're good games with a strong following.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Its a trick question, there were no good mmos in 2013.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I disagree with the Top 3.  In fact, this year sucked so bad for MMOs that you should only rank them from #10 to #4.  None of them were good enough for a Top 3 ranking.