Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game worth trying?

Hi, as someone who plays WoW 95% of the time, I recently got this game on sale and just started to install it, and was wondering if its worth the sub to play?   I heard the 2nd launch was much better and fix'd alot of the problems and stuff.   Can ayone list me some pros and cons about this game and overall if its worth it, thanks!

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    You got a free month right? Just play it. Make a decision for yourself.
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

On the whole, I would advise against it. Yes, the relaunch was better then the original launch but then, the original launch was a complete and total disaster. 

Try it yourself, you already payed for the game and got a whole month to test it out. I would wait with getting a subscription until you played to at least past lvl 20 on a single char. Then you get a good feel for what the rest of the game is like according to the fans.

I did, I got a good feel for what the end game is all about. I quit.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by sfc1971

I got a good feel for what the end game is all about. I quit.

So what's it all about?

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I would highly suggest getting to at least 25 before making a decision. I didn't like the game up until level 20-ish because it is made with the intention of new players (to the mmorpg genre) getting the game. At level 20 you start getting a good feel for the game. This game has a very nice story line and one of the only games I've actually read the quest logs for most of the quests. I enjoyed it greatly and will be returning to it pretty soon.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The game is like WoW with less features at every point of the game. You own it so play it for the free trial and decide for yourself. The only reason I play it is because I'm a final fantasy fanboy. 
  • yllisyllis Member UncommonPosts: 72

It's worth it, its a fun game. Nothing new but worth the play.

I found it to be quite charming with a engaging story line.

I paid for the game and paid for an additional month, but no longer play, but enjoyed the time spent.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

I got a good feel for what the end game is all about. I quit.

So what's it all about?

No doubt. I would like to be enlightened as well.

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47
    no,,its a  grind fest .. waste of  time

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

On the whole, I would advise against it. Yes, the relaunch was better then the original launch but then, the original launch was a complete and total disaster. 

Try it yourself, you already payed for the game and got a whole month to test it out. I would wait with getting a subscription until you played to at least past lvl 20 on a single char. Then you get a good feel for what the rest of the game is like according to the fans.

What was the end about and why did you quit?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Way to instanced

Way to easy

Way to solo

Dungeons use a dungeon finder

You have your own story chain that must be done solo and it has a few hundred parts to it that will make you run around the entire world solving very simple short quest.

Dungeons can be fun but short. They can be fun figuring out each dungeon trick, but once known, they don't have any replay value except loot ( by now everyone is your groups will already know how to play them ).

My opinion :

Graphics are nice but every zone on each continent looks the same.  No caves, no keeps, nothing to explore. You will know what's on the other side of every hill...Same old stuff.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by delete5230

Way to instanced

Way to easy

Way to solo

Dungeons use a dungeon finder

You have your own story chain that must be done solo and it has a few hundred parts to it that will make you run around the entire world solving very simple short quest.

Dungeons can be fun but short. They can be fun figuring out each dungeon trick, but once known, they don't have any replay value except loot ( by now everyone is your groups will already know how to play them ).

My opinion :

Graphics are nice but every zone on each continent looks the same.  No caves, no keeps, nothing to explore. You will know what's on the other side of every hill...Same old stuff.

I respectfully disagree.  Yes, it's very instanced that is true, however everythign else is incorrect.  You Solo the first 15 levels but after that, the main story, which unlocks game features REQUIRES you to group up and do dungeons.  Everything end game requires a group, including getting your relic. So i disagree with the "way to solo."

The zones ARE varied.  This game is beautiful and the areas are very different from deserts, lush forests, beach areas, crystal formed zones, snowey peaks, etc.  I guess this is just a personal opinion thing and we'll agree to disagree.

As for "way to easy" i'm sorry but that's not true.  If you're a hardcore raider, maybe 90% of the game is easy for you, but that wuold be the case in any mmo you play.  For the average mmo gamer, the encounters in this game are HARD!  Starting at around lvl 30+ you get harder dungeons like Brayflox and especially Sunken Temple of Qarn.  

For end game, Titan Hardmode was so difficult that people paid gil to hardcore free companies to carry them through it, because it's part of the long chain to get your relic weapon.

This game offers so much great PvE content and I love it!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

If you want a generic themepark with slower combat than WoW, then this is the game for you.  Also if you are a Final Fantasy fan you will probably enjoy the world and aesthetics.

If you enjoy faster paced or dynamic combat, then this is not the game for you (which is why I chose not to continue to sub).

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    You can literally dual box this game.. with the same mouse, and not miss a step. Its that slow.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It does what every other game does only looks MUCH better.it will also soon have MORE various content than any other game,aside from FFXI.

Wow is basically rinse and repeat dungeon looting,same thing players do at higher level in EQ2,go figure Wow was a copy of EQ.FFXIV is still relatively new,especially since the last year was improving ,not creating.

You give FFXIV 5-8 years like other top rated games and it will easily surpass for content.

IMO FFXI will still reign for total content ideas and i see nobody touching it ever,especially since FFXI is still going and still creating.

There has been some REALLY bad ideas in FFXI of late that might make me jump to FFXIV.

Aside from FFXI/FFXIV the ONLY other games worth playing are VG/EQ2 and perhaps Archeage.

2014 will bring us Black Desert and a few others ,how in depth they are remains to be seen but for now FFXIV is imo your best bet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    People really need to stop using the phrase WoW clone.  It's a standard of interface and play style concepts that were turned into gaming mechanics, and WoW was certainly not the first to use them.  If all MMOs use similar mechanics, it's because they make the most sense and we as gamers have enjoyed them the most.  That being said I normally don't enjoy heavily theme park MMOs, however, as a Final Fantasy fan I have really been enjoying this game.  Yes the combat is slower than a lot of contemporary MMOs out there, but I am actually enjoying that.  Coming from Rift as my last played MMO it's nice to slow down from the every ability being instant cast world.  The story is actually decent as many others have said I find myself actually reading the plot.  Also if you have played many FF games in the past, you will love the little aspects that bring a feeling of nostalgia in your heart such as sounds, spells, outfits, monsters, etc.  Overall I think it is a beautiful game that has really come together to form a very fun and playable MMO, if not completely original.  It certainly doesn't bring anything revolutionary to the table, but it does things slightly different in a way that will keep me playing after my free month is up.  I enjoy that they make you play classes from the ground up, and that you are allowed to have a character level up every single class if you want to.  I am also not a big crafter, but find the crafting in this game absolutely addicting.  Give it a try, it's worth it!

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• So far I've only played to level 12 but I love it so far because it's nice and relaxed, The community is great and honestly the best I've come across since the likes of Star Wars Galaxies and LOTRO, Everyone I've met so far has manners and a sense of humor which makes a nice change and will help you out when ever possible.

Makes such a nice change from the likes of WoW which sadly is populated with really immature people who just swear and throw hissy fits if something doesn't go their way.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by Dicehunter

So far I've only played to level 12 but I love it so far because it's nice and relaxed, The community is great and honestly the best I've come across since the likes of Star Wars Galaxies and LOTRO, Everyone I've met so far has manners and a sense of humor which makes a nice change and will help you out when ever possible.

Makes such a nice change from the likes of WoW which sadly is populated with really immature people who just swear and throw hissy fits if something doesn't go their way.

Wait until you get near the end game.  The community turns toxic pretty quick when using the dungeon finder.  Hopefully this has changed.  It's been a couple of months since I last logged in.  Leveling was a great experience, just a shame it changes for the worse at the end game.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Storyline is great, if u can find the game on sale buy and try it. In 1 month I maxed up and geared 1 char, was working on 2.nd class then got sick of the grind and the same old dungons dailies every single day. Community turns bad at lvl 50, people want to grind dungeons as fast as possible, nothing to do but do the raid, go do your dungeon, finish dailies log out.

Subscription running out this week, will not renew....

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

I've been playing the game since Beta Phase 3.  It is a fine game when played through to level 50 and doing the main quest, but it's a completely generic end game gear grind after the story ends.  It's probably got about a good month and a half worth of content a player will actually play through, since it is fun to play through the new dungeons that are unlocked at the end of the main story. 

Actually, the one thing I'd say is a bit nasty is how they have their service set up.  You can not cancel a reccuring subscription and still keep your remaining game time.  The only ways I've found to stop the automatic charging to a credit card while keeping the game time is to either put in bogus payment information for the sub, or cancel the service account near the end of a payment period and lose any remaining game time available.  

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Colt47

I've been playing the game since Beta Phase 3.  It is a fine game when played through to level 50 and doing the main quest, but it's a completely generic end game gear grind after the story ends.  It's probably got about a good month and a half worth of content a player will actually play through, since it is fun to play through the new dungeons that are unlocked at the end of the main story. 

Actually, the one thing I'd say is a bit nasty is how they have their service set up.  You can not cancel a reccuring subscription and still keep your remaining game time.  The only ways I've found to stop the automatic charging to a credit card while keeping the game time is to either put in bogus payment information for the sub, or cancel the service account near the end of a payment period and lose any remaining game time available.  

I cancelled the automatic renewal and still have the remaining game time.

Originally posted by Jimmy562
    Originally posted by Colt47

I cancelled the automatic renewal and still have the remaining game time.

How did you manage it?  I've been trying to figure it out on their site but the only way seems to be to switch to crysta or something weird.  o o;

Edit: Figured it out.  You have to go to the payment method page instead of the Recurring payment page.  That isn't confusing at all!

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

The game is pretty good value for money .

However Ive thrashed the game to death and pretty beaten it 4 times with 4 characters .

Got a paladin with best gear possible which took a few months .

The main problem I have right now is that I find it really just a grind at the moment and log in once a day to do daily dungeon to get tomes used to buy gear for alts class.

Feel like quiting tbh but maybe 2.2 patch will bring some new life to the game  ?  

Yeah, I mean this is a fun game for the price someone can pay for the title + 3 months of play time.  Beyond that point you might find some fun in the game, but you'd probably get a more entertaining experience jumping into another game.  As always it's pretty easy to get caught up in the mental grind trap these games set up at the end game and turn it from fun past time into a consuming hobby.  

My advice to anyone playing this game or any other game in the genre: If you start getting to the point where you log on and there is this cloud of negativity because something feels wrong with the game, kill the sub and find another game to play before it progresses.  There are tons of other good games out right now besides just FFXIV ARR and they probably will entertain longer than any new content patch that gets released for FFXIV.  

It also doesn't take very long to get caught up with the current end game crowd in Final Fantasy XIV ARR, with most end game content being playable using gear that can be farmed up or acquired in two weeks or so.  That and the gear that takes longer to acquire has an unfortunate habit of clashing with the idea of the armory system, as the gear acquisition limits make putting multiple jobs at their apex state completely unpractical.  

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Endgame got vastly better with 2.1 patch.  Consider revisiting it.  Game is definitely a great one.

• evryman13evryman13 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    It is a gorgeous game, graphically speaking.  I would use your free 1 month to really invest in it and make a decision.  The story line is less than desired, at least in terms of what to expect from a theme park MMO; in my opinion.  I like the slower pace it brings as opposed to WoW.  I recently quite WoW after many years, so the newness was a welcome sight.  It does nothing revolutionary, but it does everything to par.  Please don't take this as a bad review, as it is what I am playing currently and I like it.  As far as long term, I don't see myself playing it past the release of the upcoming big three, but it does pass the time in a new world.  They did a great job with what they were trying to do and I only see it getting better.  Good luck in your adventure and be sure to share your thoughts after a couple hours.

"Those who stay will be champions"