Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The mythical "Hundreds of players on screen" claim. Show me.

124»

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by ripaila
    I used to play Lineage2 and have a lot of people on at siege wars and some epic raids, go and search on youtube some videos.

That was my first thought, and then Planetside 1 had up to 300 (297 to be accurate) on a side, and of course it is not uncommon for planetside 2 to have several hundred people running around blasting each other.

I don't take screen shots for the sake of screen shots, they only pertain to bugs or idiots. However I am in a minority and I am sure if you did a google search you would see exactly what you are looking for. In short, just because you did not see it does not mean it did not happen, go do your own research.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by UNATCOII

So it's the hassle of node shut downs > redistribution of resources manually in CCP's model; or the phasing model Blizzard employs automatically after virtual merging, that the end user will see (and judge) to be the best.

While it IS a manual process it does not require node shutdown anymore. They can reinforce a node on the fly. Current problem is that they dont seem able to de-reinforce a node on the fly yet. Which means the node stays reinforced until next downtime, which seems the main reason that node reinforcement does not happen automaticly.

"Reinforcing" is still a manual process of having a dev, redistributing resources from point A to point B, and it's not "on the fly".

When TEST and Mitty's fleets were fighting for milk money back in June, they did a bobo by not calling in to CCP of their fleet moves, and TQ suffered from it. The time delay effect (especially when it's at 80% or higher) is not something to brag about as an accomplishment, that's effectively what raiders in WoW see when 5 raid teams race to tag Oondasta, and everything slows down before the server crashes. EvE just doesn't crash, you just move like a snail, though (stop motion photography style -- or rubberband through gate jumps for a minute per gate, as that little wheel goes bonkers showing ever increasing TI delays).

Be careful in trying to compare the differences, because THAT isn't any better. Phasing (if the zone glitches can be fixed) is a better system overall...and that's truly automatic...and doesn't compromise visuals.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

CoH, at the end, had I think 33 instances of Atlas Park here heroes gathered to show their support for CoH and try to keep it alive.

I don't know if this video is from one of those, but there are more than a hundred shown :)

YouTube Linky since it I am unable to post the embedded video :)

[EDIT]
    Now, as a disclaimer, CoH allowed players to manipulate in-game footage, so this person may have "created" this scene. I do not know :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by tom_gore

Originally posted by Tamanous It takes a specifically engineered game engine so it is very rare but plenty of examples as given.   A future game designed from the ground up for large battles will be Camelot Unchained. They have actually tested 1000 characters on screen but are targeting around 500 last I heard allowing for full game content upon release. Fps on average systems was still over 100. This is required for a true rvr game.   These type of games are far beyond battle ground style pvp and feels drastically different in game. It is war.   My only fear for these type of games is often they sacrifice the feeling of crisp game play. I hope this isn't the case.
    If I understand correct their graphics engine can handle 1000 identical characters smoothly, simulated all on one computer. Now turn that to 1000 unique characters all sending data through internet about their position and actions.

I really want to believe they can pull it off, but not holding my breath just yet :)

I recommend everyone read this. There is an advertisement but it goes on to explain this technology. It is a good read and will clear a lot of this stuff up.
    THIS

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by jesad

City of Heroes 1:20 in.  And please, no one start crying.

They aren't duking it out because who would really stand back and film such a thing, but this is still the most people I think I've seen on the screen at the same time moving.

http://youtu.be/KnLUE5hPuh4

/tear

That was awesome.

Also I feel the need to represent Minecraft!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I would very much like to see some screenshots or videos of an mmorpg with hundreds of players running around on your screen. The most I have personally seen is about 80. The majority of "massively multiplayer" screenshots I have seen are between 30-80 actual players on the screen. EvE can show hundreds of "dots" which are players on the map but thats not what Im talking about.

I'm talking about people claiming to have these huge battles with hundreds of players on their screen. Its a common claim to fame about mmos. I googled some old school daoc screenshots and did headcounts and never saw more than 70ish.

So I would be really interested in seeing hundreds of actual players on a screenshot duking it out.

thanks!

At least around 200 people were participating in a pvp raid in 2004, open beta World of Warcraft. Unfortunately I cant post a screenshot and this was changed to a player limit since it was lagging a this time. =)

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by coretex666

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKbRvKL5Ftg

"Hundreds of Taurens march on Stormwind"

Here you got it with some fine music too :)

lol thats whats so funny about this thread...to this day 100s of ppl on screen at once is a common occurance in WoW.

Each and every time is a lag fest. Wow isn't designed for it. The recent new island added to Panda was a complete mess.

Sorry, but you must have a pretty crappy PC if you are lagging anywhere in WoW.  I can be in the areas you said at peak times and keep 75+ FPS.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YbM6wJIaWs

Aika Online has gone down hill. I doubt if there are even 50 vs. 50 battles, now.  That video seems to show about a quarter of the size these battles can potentially get to (or could have at one point). In it's prime I had actually been in quite a few massive relic raids (I'd say mostly up to about 800 people). I think I have only ever been in one fully maxed out raid vs. def (couldn't say for sure though)...Osty's and Aleth's hit feo's tabz temple in massive waves It was like fighting back ocean surf with an oar. It was insane.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Deathenger

Sorry EvE isnt just "dots" on the screen. Watch the whole thing. It escalates into something huge very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQHv0FrgrE

I see your hundreds and raise you "thousands". Read up on this battle.

ok, they are not dots, they are rectangle box.  Is that suppose to be better?

Besides a bunch of box stationed on a screen barely moving, is a bit different in the fantasy mmorpg realm.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Here is a Wushu School War video. I think you could count atleast 100 here. Cant believe someone plays with ovehead info on.. yuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_nxEqOlCk

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by coretex666

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKbRvKL5Ftg

"Hundreds of Taurens march on Stormwind"

Here you got it with some fine music too :)

lol thats whats so funny about this thread...to this day 100s of ppl on screen at once is a common occurance in WoW.

Each and every time is a lag fest. Wow isn't designed for it. The recent new island added to Panda was a complete mess.

Sorry, but you must have a pretty crappy PC if you are lagging anywhere in WoW.  I can be in the areas you said at peak times and keep 75+ FPS.

I can run 3 clients of WoW on ultra with 60+fps @ 1920x1080. BUT, in a raid (due to the addons now communicating) yes, it can lag out even in a 40man. Sometimes it can even lag in LFR with 25 people (remember that well in Dragon Soul, Blizzard rushed it and it showed).

But Timeless isn't a zone that is laggy, unless they're x-realming on a realm like Frostmourne and they're on a EST server doing Celestrials and for Ordos. Zone changes DO lag (there's a point between Icecrown/Storm Peaks/Crystalvale Valley that will lag out so bad it's either white screens or stop motion photography...and been that way since CRZ started, too).

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    At peak this has 4,000 people fighting in the same system  < eve ftw :)..

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy