Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Ghabbo
    Originally posted by Hatefull 1.  The Repopulation.  Everything else is arguable at best.   @Shaggy -  Don't get too excited about the list, that is something Bill and his staff dream up, the community has nothing to do with it.   Speaking of Bill - pretty lame using the 'I see the future' excuse for throwing games so obviously NOT MMO's onto this list.  imo anyway.

Please don't generalize . HEX (in its current alpha state) is an awesome game with so much potential. Really looking forward to see how this game develops.

Edit: @ShaggySan - Welcome to MMORPG 

So you voted on the list that was published? Didn't think so, my comment stands.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by Hatefull 1.  The Repopulation.  Everything else is arguable at best.   @Shaggy -  Don't get too excited about the list, that is something Bill and his staff dream up, the community has nothing to do with it.   Speaking of Bill - pretty lame using the 'I see the future' excuse for throwing games so obviously NOT MMO's onto this list.  imo anyway.

Please don't generalize . HEX (in its current alpha state) is an awesome game with so much potential. Really looking forward to see how this game develops.

Edit: @ShaggySan - Welcome to MMORPG 

So you voted on the list that was published? Didn't think so, my comment stands.

Obviously I didn't vote, but nevertheless, I (as part of the community) consider HEX should be included in that list.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by jdnyc

No Pathfinder Online?

smh

Well technically if I'm not mistake PFO will only see an early enrollment in 2014 which is essentially a Beta and open or essential live won't be till 2015 when all the features are available.

PFO isn't on the list for the same reason why Camelot Unchained and Star Citizen isn't on the list.

Sadly that just makes 2014 a possible 2013 when it comes to lack of mmo excitement. This mmo indie experiment isn't bearing fruit any time soon sadly.

You stay sassy!

• stvnkrs10stvnkrs10 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Really looking forward to see what RG will do with SoTA!
  • cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Don't often agree with you Murphy but truer words haven't been said.

Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

Besides Day Z and Nether are both good games. 

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• happyfartshappyfarts Member UncommonPosts: 94
    why "SotA:FS" and not "SotA:FV" for Virtues?
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

I'm amazed they didn't flag Blizzard as an indie dev and put D3 xpac in this list :P

As for the changing of the genre........unfortunately, the rash of garbage the companies have been flooding the market with lately have already changed the genre....and not for the better.

Wooohooo Pokemon MMo....oops, wow's already done that...........

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Since when did DayZ become a mmo ?
  • dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    It's kind of funny that at one point Hex was going to be a fps mmo I think that was back in 2008 or so.  There was an article about it in Game Informer I believe and I have been looking forward to it ever since.
  • dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    NVM been a long day I meant Huxley not Hex FFS I should just go to bed now!!!!!5
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I'll have to cast my vote for Elite: Dangerous.  We need more space sims!  At least I do.  Eve doesn't quite cut it for me, and the X series of games are kind of "meh". 

Now if only someone would make an I-War MMO.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Origins of Malu is the only one on the list I think I'll like, and the only one I follow.  I like the building videos I've seen :)
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Origins of Malu is the only one on the list I think I'll like, and the only one I follow.  I like the building videos I've seen :)

Not to sure what is going on with these guys was really excited myself but my concerns were made tenfold when I tested the Beta,then shortly after they pulled the rest of the testing would love to see this succeed but it has gone very quiet on their website.

But I'm an eternal optimist so fingers crossed the devs can deliver something solid and tangible sooner than later.

p>
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

No Pathfinder Online?

smh

Well technically if I'm not mistake PFO will only see an early enrollment in 2014 which is essentially a Beta and open or essential live won't be till 2015 when all the features are available.

PFO isn't on the list for the same reason why Camelot Unchained and Star Citizen isn't on the list.

DayZ isn't officially coming out this year either.  Amazing what selling 800k can do to get you on a list.  

@BillMurphy

I'm not saying DayZ is a bad game, but be honest.  The only reason it's lumped in with the MMORPG group is because it's popular and there's a financial return MMORPG.com will get for covering popular games.  Pretending to include it because the definition of MMORPG is changing is bullcrap.  The site is redefining it, so they can cover a wider group of games to get more hits on their site to charge more for Ad revenue.  I see no problem with that, but don't pretend that we as gamers must redefine the MMORPG genre to a point where MMORPG = Online Video Game.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    So first and second place aren't even mmos. That's sad.
  • pioanstefanpioanstefan Member UncommonPosts: 15

no doubt here there is only one game on first place- probably game of the year, i am 100% sure this game gonna change the mmo market forever : 1.Albion Online

in the rest of the list theres a lot of maybes

--Gloria Victis

--Trials of Ascension

--Life is Feudal

--Revival - dont know if we ever gonna see this one alive

--The Repopulation

--Elite: Dangerous

--Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

--Shadowrun Online

--Black Desert - 50% fit for this list

--Hex - 50% fit for this list

--Day Z - 50% fit for this list

--Black Gold Online - not indie

depends what indie is

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

The Repopulation is SWG's spiritual successor.

The only light in the dark MMO tunnel.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Really looking forward to The Repopulaton and Gloria Victus :)

As others have mentioned some of those on the list are not even MMOs.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Huh?  The repopulation is nothing like SWG.  Where in the world did you get that idea.  Full loot pvp has no place in an indie game ever, unless they can magically players to using only their client when playing the game.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Huh?  The repopulation is nothing like SWG.  Where in the world did you get that idea.  Full loot pvp has no place in an indie game ever, unless they can magically players to using only their client when playing the game.

The Repopulation only features full loot on hardcore servers. There is no PvP looting (or much in the way of any penalty for PvPing) on normal servers.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Hatefull   Originally posted by Ghabbo Originally posted by Hatefull 1.  The Repopulation.  Everything else is arguable at best.   @Shaggy -  Don't get too excited about the list, that is something Bill and his staff dream up, the community has nothing to do with it.   Speaking of Bill - pretty lame using the 'I see the future' excuse for throwing games so obviously NOT MMO's onto this list.  imo anyway.
        Please don't generalize . HEX (in its current alpha state) is an awesome game with so much potential. Really looking forward to see how this game develops.   Edit: @ShaggySan - Welcome to MMORPG 

Obviously I didn't vote, but nevertheless, I (as part of the community) consider HEX should be included in that list.

Great for you! Maybe you have reading comprehension issues, I am not sure. But what I said was the list that HEX was included in, wasn't voted on by the community, it was put together by the staff with no community input. Whether or not you like the game is irrelevant to that comment. I hope you can comprehend this. No one is picking on your game, it may be great it may suck, that isn't the point, get over it and move along.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    SotA:FS shouldn't be on this list, nor should day Z. Both aren't MMORPGs. They are more like COOP games. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Tamanous

No Pathfinder Online?

smh

Sadly that just makes 2014 a possible 2013 when it comes to lack of mmo excitement. This mmo indie experiment isn't bearing fruit any time soon sadly.

My take is this list is diversifying the MMORPG.com genre deliberately. Most of the listed are dropping the MMO- or the RPG- in various degrees: Diversity is actually a good thing however.

PFO: Very little to show atm, so not worth listing from mmorpg.com's pov? Though I'd say it's one of the most interesting indie mmorpgs coming out in 2014 and that seems very likely to meet it's eta date is another +. Already DayZ and The Division are pulling off 2014 and WOD has disappeared from 2014 likely enough and CU is 15 I think as is SC and I guess Elite might be end of year at earliest.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Dear mr. Murphy, no matter how hard you try (and its not your first attempt) to hype next Garriot's disaster, players wont bite. Not after watching gameplay videos where its clear as day - game is a pile of crap made to grab quick cash.

Agreed with others. Repopulation looks very promising

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Are you being serious with this post? The guys behind The Repopulation where massive SWG fans from what I read and a lot of the initial features in The Repopulation where very similar to SWG and even the interface looked a lot like it.

Also how does full loot pvp have no place in an indie game ? For starters the game will have different servers with hardcore rules and two full loot brings to much to MMORPGs and since playing darkfall and mortal online I find it very hard to get into an mmorpg without full loot as I get bored too fast.