Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The mythical "Hundreds of players on screen" claim. Show me.

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I would very much like to see some screenshots or videos of an mmorpg with hundreds of players running around on your screen. The most I have personally seen is about 80. The majority of "massively multiplayer" screenshots I have seen are between 30-80 actual players on the screen. EvE can show hundreds of "dots" which are players on the map but thats not what Im talking about.

I'm talking about people claiming to have these huge battles with hundreds of players on their screen. Its a common claim to fame about mmos. I googled some old school daoc screenshots and did headcounts and never saw more than 70ish.

So I would be really interested in seeing hundreds of actual players on a screenshot duking it out.

thanks!

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

why would it even be relevant. I doubt in a battle, or even in a city walking around, it makes a difference whether there is 30 players around, or 300.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I would like to see it too, cuz i hear this excuse being made so conveniently all the time by posters.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Nevermind

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I would very much like to see some screenshots or videos of an mmorpg with hundreds of players running around on your screen. The most I have personally seen is about 80. The majority of "massively multiplayer" screenshots I have seen are between 30-80 actual players on the screen. EvE can show hundreds of "dots" which are players on the map but thats not what Im talking about.

I'm talking about people claiming to have these huge battles with hundreds of players on their screen. Its a common claim to fame about mmos. I googled some old school daoc screenshots and did headcounts and never saw more than 70ish.

So I would be really interested in seeing hundreds of actual players on a screenshot duking it out.

thanks!

200+ man Oondasta raid.

Oondasta is a contested world boss, that when it opened (it originally was designed as a guild world boss, but everyone but his dead uncle wanted to down the dino from hell) there was rolling restarts of servers as so many rushed to tag him! EQ avatar tag all over again, deal.

Have fun watching the chaos! lol

Site won't let me link the video, but look up at YouTube - "Oondasta - 200 man raid -  World Boss - server first kill".

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I might have a screen shot of  an old nexus event in tera before they put the population cap on them. Of course 90% of the people wouldn't render past a grey shadow and the entire server would lag and then crash....but they did have it.

They went from letting about 300-400 people all at one nexus to 100. At one hundred the screens would at least load, even if it was pretty choppy. Around 80 and things moved like they should. I don't think you could actually pvp beyond a huge zerg but they do have pvp servers and the nexus on weekends was open world...so I'm sure it happens.

• ripailaripaila Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I used to play Lineage2 and have a lot of people on at siege wars and some epic raids, go and search on youtube some videos.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Planetside 2 does it all the time. Here's some infantry footage too.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Back in WOW vanilla when there was open world pvp- you would get a shed load of players in the same place (I never counted heads so I couldn't say how many).  Again, the server would lag horribly.  
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Sorry EvE isnt just "dots" on the screen. Watch the whole thing. It escalates into something huge very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTQHv0FrgrE

I see your hundreds and raise you "thousands". Read up on this battle.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

This was a decently large GVG 3way... I was trying to find a GVG fight of two max guilds fighting it out early in the games history were literally the server was lagging from how massive the fight was, but couldn't find it. 

I was there at the GVG below and the massive one I was trying to find. The one below had about 150 people fighting in that area at one time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmy16jMqi4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nNJMtmrk4

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
  • mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Log onto planetside 2 wait for biotech mission thingy, warp to biostation, witness the glory of massive scale pvp

C

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by fodell54

I can't find Wally. 

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEFgmpLzGU

May not be hundreds but its still a ton.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Keep in mind  from the player perspective raid groups have caps, too. So from the video or screenshots you will normally just see the limit of their raid size.

In WoW 40 players max in a raid. So 200+ players would be 5 raid teams. Those numbers are now possible in WoW due to x-realming (inviting others from other realms to participate), but it can cause the server to crash.

In games like EvE they really don't have the particle effects like WoW, so 200+ is a lot with all those effects going off in one zone (they can cram 800 ships in a zone for a fight, but only after closing little used nodes down and redirecting server resources to their zone -- they have to contact CCP before large fleet events so they can do that -- and those zones affected get the TI effect [slow motion], which in games like WoW is totally unacceptable). Blizzard did something days later, and folks could play without restarts, though (I think they're going the EvE route with a one server concept, and it'll be interesting if they fix what CCP hasn't yet about resource management).

When Swifty was banned players staged protests and crashed servers by cramming 2k players online. It's not a fighting scene, but yes, MMOs can truly get a lot of people online for events...much more than 80-100 at a time. We have world events that had that many before even on smaller realms.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The Ultima Online ones are just so impressive considering most of those people had 14.4k modems.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Nice thanks for the EvE vid. I counted about 200 ships on screen. PS2 vids, sorry, only saw about 10-15 players on your screen at one time. Tera online saw about 70+ in the last vid. Im not talking about how many people "were there" at these events, Im talking about how many you can actually see on your screen. The UO ones are great lol 2D. guess I should have specified.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

UO choked like mad when it had a lot on screen even if you had a great connection.

Back in EQ we had Raids with over 60 players and enemy guilds would attack us with pretty even numbers and the server usually handled it. Those super huge fights aren't terribly fun imo, never really liked the zerg stuff in DAOC or WAR or GW2 etc.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    You didn't need a raid in Everquest to see 100 or more people at once.  I remember when I first started the game or when a new server came out the newbie zone would be filled with 100+ people all fighting to kill the rats/bats/orc pawns/etc and get out of the newbie area lol.  Kelethin/crushbone was generally fairly packed with people.  All the newbie areas were packed through.  Freeport/Qeynos/Tunnel of Ro/Blackburrow.  The Commonlands east/west was also packed usually.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Log into Tichondrius, Ilidan, Darkspear, Stormrage or any one of the 200K population realms in WoW, go to Timeless Isle at the top of the bridge about 10 minutes before Houlon is due to spawn.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Darkfall 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR15lIUqWig

DFUW - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QqdG7cNaBo     (I make a cameo somewhere in that one image )

Shadowbane - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7t018zgdE

As far as having 100+ on screen, (as opposed to the same event or close area) the only ones I can think of are the victory shots in EQ after some of the gaming firsts

Now get to countin boy-O !!

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Now get to countin boy-O !!

Thats about as many as I have seen in my experience. Around 80.

BTW is Uzik named after the electronic music artist? That would be cool because he's one of my favorite musicians.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well if the bandwidth and graphics in FFXI could handle it,there is EASILY 100 players when doing the old Besieged events.It was just so laggy the PC could not draw all the players.

I would not mind seeing most of the players around me,so i have an idea where to go to help conquer the enemies but i do not need a ton of players on my screen just to say "there they are!".

I have been pvp'ing for many years and i still to this day hate anything more than a handful of players to pvp with.Anymore than say 5/6 and it is a mess of spam and skill is completely lost.This of course when talking twitch combat,too many and all the best connections will have a big unfair advantage as well as those with better PC's.

I mentioned the Besieged because to me that is the real fun ,the server gets together to conquer the invasion forces,i do not care about pvp in a RPG.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.