Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We already covered our all-around most wanted MMOs of 2014 last week, but did you know there were a boatload of Indie MMOs also releasing this year? We’d be remiss if we didn’t give the guys with the littler budgets and possibly bigger dreams their own spotlight, so we’re back this week with the Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014. Read on for our list, and be sure to comment and let us know if you agree or have something we missed to boot.

Read the rest of Bill's The Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I thought Elite Dangerous was single player only.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some interesting stuff there. The Repopulation looks most interesting to me.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by mightpyro

Just like SotA you can play it solo, with friends or with strangers. Actually I am more confused than delighted by this concept so far. Will have to wait and see how it works out.

My ideal would be one universe/world with all players but that always brings also the problem of griefers and then the question is how the games handle this if at all. So being able to play only with friends or even solo might solve that issue but of course it won't be played as an MMO then.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Black Gold
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rca50rca50 Member Posts: 7
    The Repopulation!!!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off, Hex is a card game, it is most certain NOT a MMO in any sense of the word and there are far better card games out there if that is your thing!

Second, pvp and indie is a frightening thought.  The big reason, cheaters, they know that indies don't have the staff to control them, hence they flock to them.  Just look at the Dayz beta for an example, the number of people cheating is amazing.  It will be so in any indie developed game that is popular.  So if you are anxiously waiting for one of these indie pvp titles, think again.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Black Desert is the only one on the list I'm interested in, but sadly it won't be here in the US for 2014.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by mightpyro

You can play offline in single player and your actions don't affect the persistent universe.

You can play online singly or in groups and your actions affect the universe.

SP - you can play online single.

COOP - you can play in a limited group with friends.

MMO - you can play in an all group.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    The repop, GV and Black Desert are my tops.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    @ OZ how is there cheating in DayZ?
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    great list , am really hoping at least one of these titles become very succesful since the wow clones are going F2P just to survive, really should tell people that the MMO market needs some new ideas or its gonna continue to stagnate.
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    The Repopulation should be #1 in that list
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm just here to give my support to the Repopulation.

EDIT: The entry for it should probably mention the sandbox aspect; the freedom of choice with measurable effects from decisions made. It's so much more than just US vs. THEM.

• NovuhzNovuhz Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by BearKnight

No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

Quote for Truth!

I don't understand how games that are not MMORPG's are being listed in there... DayZ is a MMOFPS or MMOSFPS... I think they are getting paid well for advertising DayZ... not only that they also did a garbage review on WarZ aka Infestation: Survivor Stories, these 2 games have nothing to do with MMORPG.

Even in the award list for 2013 they forced 2 games into 1 award... Rising Star - EverQuest Next Landmark & DayZ

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Black Gold

Texas tea.  Well the next thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    That list makes me cry. I'm glad I have moved on and play classic versions of the old school mmo's now. I have found all over again why I fell in love with them in the first place. 
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Hmmm would Star Citizen be considered an Indy project?  Yes it's got a huge buget, but it's being made by an Indy studio all the same.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Hmmm would Star Citizen be considered an Indy project?  Yes it's got a huge buget, but it's being made by an Indy studio all the same.

2015 though

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Black Desert is not an indie developed title MMORPG.com. How you could possibly not know that is beyond me *facepalm*

Smile

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    That list makes me cry. I'm glad I have moved on and play classic version of the old school mmo's now. I have found all over again why I fell in love with them in the first place. 

What doesn't grab you and what do you consider old school? The Repopulation is pretty much old school sandbox trying to grab SWG type players. Black Desert is sort of an asian version of this from my understanding. Albion Online is almost UO-like. Shroud of the Avatar is almost super-old school as it is trying recapture the old Ultima single player feeling but I certainly isn't old-school mmo.

I'm almost a little curious about the top down and even turned based games. They used to be fun for a reason.

The issue with the list is limiting it to 2014. I agree it's limited and even more so if you exclude the games that aren't even mmos which bloats nearly half the list. 2015 and beyond has some very nice concept which certainly fall in line with the old-school concept (something hard to describe by today's catch phrases). It still seems we are limited to indie developers for anything resembling what one might call "old-school".

You stay sassy!

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

HEX is defined as a MMO/TGC by its creators, and it really has a lot of MMO elements (raiding, guilds, crafting, etc).

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Links for thouse listed games would been nice.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Links for thouse listed games would been nice.

There you go image

Origins of Malu

Shadowrun Online

Day Z

Albion Online

Gloria Victis

Black Desert

HEX

The Repopulation

Elite: Dangerous

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues