Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: What's a Level 90 Worth To You?

124»

Comments

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

OMG this funny/scary just yesterday i was talk to some guild friend just about this that blizzard would most like add this boost characters to lvl 90 in the new in game shop well it was just matter of time before blizzard would add something like this to in game shop for pet and mount wont do much for blizzard in long run.

So blizzard are think to go hybrid with WoW and honest why should i buy extra money for something if im already pay a monthly subscribe fee if blizzard is go through with this atlest do like every other mmo that have hybrid system let the people that do pay monthly subscribe fee get in game coin every month like SWTOR, LOTRO have and gave them discount on price in shop then.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I can see this getting priced at around $30.  Even with the increased leveling speed of quest xp and heirlooms, going through 10 years worth of content can take a while.  Hell, I'd pay $30 just to skip MoP entirely.

You make me like charity

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

According to several tips, World of Warcraft players are receiving an email survey from Blizzard Entertainment. In it, they ask players what they feel is a worthwhile pricetag for an instant level 90 character in addition to survey how much players feel about a variety of prices for the expansion itself.

Via: Polygon

Every expansion my toon becomes worthless green/blue gear fodder for people who got to the next big raid dungeon faster as they descend on me with rapesauce.  That being said...free level 90?????????????  I spent a lot of time getting to 90..with family, et al.  Sigh.  Anything to sell a product if this is even true.

Here's what you are missing by not leveling to 90.  I should say 100.

Soloing non stop in a race to matter once more.

Dungeon finder where you get to group with 4 automatons who if you are lucky when you type, hi, how are you all, you get a SUP or as I got earlier 8================>

Getting toward the next expansion level and already seeing the gear score requirements

etc.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by jlbomba
    [mod edit]

Its not about difficulty, its about convenience and getting to the gameplay you want to without being roadblocked by dozens/hundreds of hours of gameplay you have no interest in. This is something that a lot of people would be interested in, even if you arent.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    It's worth nothing. As soon as you start selling max level character, it defeats the entire purpose of having a game as large as WoW. You're essentially paying for a number that allows for minigames that only exist in place of having a dynamic, player affected world.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Also, I think people need to keep in mind that Blizzard isn't really looking to target new players as much as they are looking to bring back older players (and retain current ones).  This isn't about letting some random kid pay to start at max level.  It's about offering a way for people to get past the tons of content that they've probably gone through dozens of times over at least. 

You make me like charity

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Wolfshead

OMG this funny/scary just yesterday i was talk to some guild friend just about this that blizzard would most like add this boost characters to lvl 90 in the new in game shop well it was just matter of time before blizzard would add something like this to in game shop for pet and mount wont do much for blizzard in long run.

That really sounds like they're changing WoW from an mmorpg into a interactive lobby based based game.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by davestr1zl

no way in hell would I pay for a level 90.  maybe little girls will pay for it.  the game is easy enough without throwing a free level 90 in the mix.

Its not about difficulty, its about convenience and getting to the gameplay you want to without being roadblocked by dozens/hundreds of hours of gameplay you have no interest in. This is something that a lot of people would be interested in, even if you arent.

I think for many people MMORPGs are about creating and building a character in a world that values participation and accomplishment.  In vanilla getting to level 60 by itself was rather time consuming and it felt like an accomplishment when you hit it.  Now it is so fast to level to max it doesn't feel anywhere near the accomplishment it was in vanilla, but then again it is still far more of an accomplishment than paying cash.

Really at the point they removed talent trees, they removed your individuality(what little their was).  When you can pay to jump ahead, they remove accomplishment.  I really don't see the difference between this and selling epic gear in the ingame store.  Leveling to 90 is a hell of a lot more of a time investment than it takes to run LFR for some easy epics, and neither require much effort or skill these days.

There isn't really much of the RPG left in WoW, it is more just an action-MMO at this point.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I have played WoW since the Beta back in 2003 and quit playing in December 2013. So 10 years of World of Warcraft.

The game quality has changed drastically since Wrath of the Lich King. Prior to Wrath the content was teen to mature rated. Then came Wrath of the Lich Kings Chinese game model targetting 12 year olds and then came a Cataclysm Expansion that wrote over all the mature content and replaced it with childish content. Then came the Pandas.. more childish content..

Now dont get me wrong I knew that Pandarens were part of the lore since WC2 but the content of the expansion didnt meet my expectations. The end game Dailies disappointed the hell out of me and the lame Raids didnt meet my Vanilla level expectations yet again.

So after 3 expansions of disappointment as a 40 yr old player I made the decision to step down and look for a more mature game that will give me a new experience. I miss the old school content.. Mankirks wife RIP and refuse to give two rats butt cheeks about getting an instant 90 character.

This will give just another entitlement expectation to the lazy playerbase... and if they are going to give players an instant 90 I have little faith that the content will be worth while. So waste your money on yet another lame expansion of a out dated game with poor graphics and I will sit back and rejoice and the money im now putting towards more important things... like a new cpu.. or maybe some kittens...

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I'd pay nothing for a lvl 90. Guess I'm old school but its the journey not the destination that makes the game.

Hell might as well start selling epics too.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Whats the point in buying a max level character, weres the fun in that? its already way too easy and way to fast to just simply level a character up (in any game), most the time it can be done in 1-2 weeks and that's just casually else 1-3 days if you hardcore it.

Just another how to make more out of the playerbase we have scam. They need to fix the server populations first, after all that's what is driving people off their game, but no, they just come out with more ways to get more money out of the players that are still there.

I stopped playing wow 3 months ago, tried neverwinter, game was ok, but then hmmm its run crappily. Any exploits that are used by people stay, so in effect those people are actually rewarded in cheating, servers are not rewound either.

Right now I am playing Rift, ultimately the BEST free to play game on the market as you don't need to spend anything to get most benefits and only need 1500 loyalty to unlock the auctionhouse usage (that's 1 rex that can be bought in game from between 1200-1600platinum or bought for £5, after that everything the game offers is there. Apart from extra soul,s for Storm Legion (can be bought by getting the storm legion package or by getting a writ for the souls with cash shop coins) as well as extra bag slots and bank vaults. Crafts can be bought after the original 3 so if one wanted they could do that and have them on 1 character. You can have 2 characters to start with more slots also purchased (or another account made to get round it for free if one wants) probably also multibox with yaself (if your into that sort of thing). Now I am not saying the game is flawless as it does have its problems, every game does).

However I am waiting on some of these new upcoming games to come out of which I expect 98% of them to fail in delivering.

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98

no way in hell would I pay for a level 90.  maybe little girls will pay for it.  the game is easy enough without throwing a free level 90 in the mix.

If the only gameplay you want in a MMO is at max level, then maybe the genre just isn't for you. MMOs by nature are time sinks, they are about leveling up and defeating bigger and badder dudes. That's the entire basis of the genre. "Convenience" to you is more like "not playing the majority of the game" to me. I am just amazed at how many people are legitimately willing to pay a company real money to play their game LESS. It's like you buy the box, pay a monthly fee, and then pay EXTRA to pay less of the game's content you've already bought and pay monthly for. Why? It's not like you have to be max level instantly, the point of a MMO is to take time, to fill time, it's a time sink, that's the definition, it's why they are endless.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually one has to wonder about the next expansion.  It almost feels like a one-way door.  You go into the past.  I mean it would make sense in a way that you couldn't come back.  Autolevel to 90 and start there and the whole game is 90-100 and you pull the plug on the old game eventually dropping all the "baggage" of the actual world itself.

Cooking in Pandaria was an experiment.  The low levels of crafting would be able to be rapidly blunt forced with 100% vendor components.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Matryoshka

If the only gameplay you want in a MMO is at max level, then maybe the genre just isn't for you. MMOs by nature are time sinks, they are about leveling up and defeating bigger and badder dudes. That's the entire basis of the genre. "Convenience" to you is more like "not playing the majority of the game" to me. I am just amazed at how many people are legitimately willing to pay a company real money to play their game LESS. It's like you buy the box, pay a monthly fee, and then pay EXTRA to pay less of the game's content you've already bought and pay monthly for. Why? It's not like you have to be max level instantly, the point of a MMO is to take time, to fill time, it's a time sink, that's the definition, it's why they are endless.

The thing is, in WoW at least, most of those time sinks ARE built in at max level, not during the leveling process.

Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by Matryoshka

The thing is, in WoW at least, most of those time sinks ARE built in at max level, not during the leveling process.

And that's what's wrong with the game. I understand why people want to skip, the leveling process in WoW in terrible. But instead of fixing it, they give people free level 90s instead. They attempted to fix it in Cataclysm and it was a failure, they just made it even more boring and even worse. Free level 90s are just a bandaid on an already screwed up MMO, it's kind of like a "We know our leveling process sucks, so here, you can pay extra to skip it" instead of just actually fixing it. I'd rather pay extra for them to make the leveling process fun.

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117

Zero?  If no one is playing the lower levels anyway, except to solo to max, then start every character there, for free.

A better question is "How do we make the early game worth playing again?"

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

How much is a lvl 90 worth to me?

Unless I leveled it myself: Zero

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

$0

End game WOW became boring as soon as the mods got out of hand and played the game for you. Leveling was the only fun part of WoW and they broke that with Cataclysm.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Ender4

$0

End game WOW became boring as soon as the mods got out of hand and played the game for you. Leveling was the only fun part of WoW and they broke that with Cataclysm.

I agree with the last bit, but not for the same reasons.  They made leveling too fast and easy.  I am fine with changing mounts so you get them earlier and cheaper, but that just allows you to get around faster.  When they actually made everything so easy and the numerous times they have sped up the leveling process over the years has turned that meaningful journey into a joke and a blur.  I don't think addons played a big part in harming the leveling process, most addons that "play the game for you" are focused on end game content.

The introduction of LFR was great in that it gave people something to do that were bored, however the poor community insured that it wasn't a very enjoyable experience.  LFR became something you grudgingly did because it offered character progression.  The repetitive nature of max level content coupled with not being very enjoyable led to a lot of burnout.  New expacks provided very little in the way of leveling content compounding the problem by having a tedious endgame with a short and meaningless leveling experience.  If you look back at vanilla when the game was growing rapidly very few people participated in organized raiding on a regular basis(like 2%), what generated all that growth was the journey, the leveling experience, the content that happened out in the world, and the people you met doing in.  It certainly didn't get where it is today by being little more than a lobby for small group(yes 25 is small) queued content that it has become. 

Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by Ender4

$0

I agree with the last bit, but not for the same reasons.  They made leveling too fast and easy.  I am fine with changing mounts so you get them earlier and cheaper, but that just allows you to get around faster.  When they actually made everything so easy and the numerous times they have sped up the leveling process over the years has turned that meaningful journey into a joke and a blur.  I don't think addons played a big part in harming the leveling process, most addons that "play the game for you" are focused on end game content.

The introduction of LFR was great in that it gave people something to do that were bored, however the poor community insured that it wasn't a very enjoyable experience.  LFR became something you grudgingly did because it offered character progression.  The repetitive nature of max level content coupled with not being very enjoyable led to a lot of burnout.  New expacks provided very little in the way of leveling content compounding the problem by having a tedious endgame with a short and meaningless leveling experience.  If you look back at vanilla when the game was growing rapidly very few people participated in organized raiding on a regular basis(like 2%), what generated all that growth was the journey, the leveling experience, the content that happened out in the world, and the people you met doing in.  It certainly didn't get where it is today by being little more than a lobby for small group(yes 25 is small) queued content that it has become. 

So much agreed, that leveling experience and journey are what made it a great MMO in the first place, those kinds of things are why people played MMOs in the first place. I couldn't agree more that it is now just a lobby for small groups, I also hate that LFR is part of max level end game progression. People always try to say "How does it affect you if you're a raider?" if you try to complain about it, but it's like they completely ignore that people who raid still have to do it for upgrades to either get into raiding or while raiding still or for their crappy Legendary quest line they had.

When they bring back the journey to WoW, the thing that made it great, and don't focus so much on end game, then maybe I would play again, and could justify paying, but I would never, ever, in any game pay real money for "convenience". I only pay real money for gameplay, not real money to NOT play a game.