Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: The 2013 MMORPG.com Awards

1235»

Comments

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

One thing is the bad state the gaming industry is in, but that Defiant can even get close to an innovation mention, tells us how bad this site also has become.

From here it can only be better, wake up MMORPG.com

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Making MMOS isn't like making movies and then holding awards like Oscar every year where you choose best few out of thousand of entries.

Making MMOS is a long and very time consuming process... and that is why you won't get a lot of good MMOS every year to choose from. Hell i would consider myself lucky if i get two good MMOS release every year.

So yeah FFXIV won because nothing else came out in the same category.

People on this site complain too much without being logical.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Originally posted by BadSpock
    People who think WoW is a casual game still, to this day, crack me up.

You can be sure all the tr... err "posters" who repeat over and over again that WoW is a casual game don't have a single up to date heroic raid achievement and generally don't play that game at all anyway. It's just that hating WoW is cool when talking to the kids of their kindergarten courtyard.

C'mon, WOW's heroic raids are just "Dancing with the Stars", exercises, learn the moves and you have it beat, nothing particularly heroic about them.

As for hating on WOW, you are just in the wrong playground.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    It has been a slow year but even if ESO and Wildstar had come out this year I bet FFXIV still would have won. This is just my opinion of course. Now where is that flame resistant jacket of mine.

I really doubt that FFXIV has anything which is game of the year worthy. But they have to reward one MMO right? so yeah FFXIV won. I doubt it would have won if we had more MMOS like ESO and Wildstar in 2013.

And that is my opinion ofcourse. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    It has been a slow year but even if ESO and Wildstar had come out this year I bet FFXIV still would have won. This is just my opinion of course. Now where is that flame resistant jacket of mine.

I really doubt that FFXIV has anything which is game of the year worthy. But they have to reward one MMO right? so yeah FFXIV won. I doubt it would have won if we had more MMOS like ESO and Wildstar in 2013.

And that is my opinion ofcourse. 

Agreed.  FFXIV won game of the year because there simply wasn't any other viable choices.  

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

How does Defiance get most innovative?

Tying it in to a TV show isnt an innovation, its a gimmick.  And they did very little with the tie ins as it is.  Surely a lower profile game was more innovative.  If not, WoW deserves it for flex raiding.

Originally posted by Kyleran

You can be sure all the tr... err "posters" who repeat over and over again that WoW is a casual game don't have a single up to date heroic raid achievement and generally don't play that game at all anyway. It's just that hating WoW is cool when talking to the kids of their kindergarten courtyard.

C'mon, WOW's heroic raids are just "Dancing with the Stars", exercises, learn the moves and you have it beat, nothing particularly heroic about them. As for hating on WOW, you are just in the wrong playground.

I know Kyleran isnt a heroic raider in WoW

Also, how is PoE a hybrid?  Its an action rpg.  Its not a blend of diablo and MMO, its just diablo.  

Hybrid MMO is the award that Defiance should get, since it is exactly that: a hybrid MMO.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Wow, this is the best 2013 had to offer... not exactly inspiring. 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

I am surprised by the exceptional hype that Wildstar is getting, on this site as well.

Ive seen the video are read about the game. The videos had some humor but nothing else really. 

So why, why would wildstar be worth even to have a look at? Its not the graphics, its not the game design...

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Most Anticipated : Star Citizen,  $36 million can't be wrong.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by syriinx

Originally posted by Kyleran

C'mon, WOW's heroic raids are just "Dancing with the Stars", exercises, learn the moves and you have it beat, nothing particularly heroic about them. As for hating on WOW, you are just in the wrong playground.

I know Kyleran isnt a heroic raider in WoW

LOL, absolutely correct, I last raided in vanilla WOW, in the 40 man era, then they started taking away the challange and i realized it was always about just learning a new set of moves. (Well and getting your teammates to learn them with you)

A fine waltz indeed, but not heroic.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I didn't realize what a bad year 2013 was in terms of gaming. lol. Just my opinion.

I wish I could thumbs-up your post.

yes! could we get a Like button up in here?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I didn't realize what a bad year 2013 was in terms of gaming. lol. Just my opinion.

Agree

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Half the games on the list had a quite a few players in 2012 in the betas
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

While it is a pretty sparse offering from 2013 the hyperbole in this thread isn't nearly enough to make me forget the veritable drought we had in 2009-2010 (possibly 2008 as well). All you have to do is check the games list to remind yourself how bad those years were compared to 2013.