Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an excessive sense of entitlement in F2P games?

Comments

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by LittleBoot
    I keep reading threads and comments whereby F2P players feel aggrieved that they are not receiving enough free content.   In what other walk of life and with what other product would this be an acceptable stance to take?  Many mmo's cost many millions to develop and that money has to be recouped somehow (and they need to turn a profit for their funders or they would not exist in the first place).  Where, do you suggest,  should this money be recovered from?  My view is simply this, a F2P player who makes no financial contribution to a game is in no position to complain about the free content they may or may not be receiving.   A player who pays a subscription, as with all other walks of life, should experience a discernibly improved experience over a player who pays nothing.   Now don't get me wrong, if a monetization model allows a game to sell aesthetic items only, then great.  But if it does not then a free player should quit complaining and move on.  As it stands the free content received by F2P players is paid for by a few whales who use the cash shop.  Free players should be thankful that there are items in the cash shop other players are prepared to buy or there would be no game and no content for them to experience at all.  They are my thoughts on the subject, what do you think?     

I advertize to you "GET A FREE CAR FROM MY SHOP WHEN YOU SHOW UP, ABSOUTELY FREE NO CHARGE!" and when you show up I get you all worked up, as the moment nears I will let you sit in it -without the keys- and say: "if you want to drive it you have to pay me $50.000 first."

same thing. Would you be happy?

Money talks bullshyte walks buddy

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

I keep reading threads and comments whereby F2P players feel aggrieved that they are not receiving enough free content.  

Have you never spent time in a P2P environment? Were the 'more content plox' complaints any less or different there?

First world non-problem.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Scorchien

There is .. and its ridiculous , either put up or shut up .... if you arent paying , you arent entitled to open your mouth ... 

Entitlement is one who believes they are entitled to more than another.

This means you.

you need to follow along and take the blinders off .. the word applies differently the way the op intended... yours is one meaning and doesnt apply here

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by iridescence

If a game is really offering a free trial which is doing everything it can to force and annoy you into subbing it's not really a free to play game. I'm not saying that's wrong but it is misleading advertising. I actually prefer sub games but if you're going to brag about your game being F2P you should at least offer a decent experience for the free players.

Star Wars and LOTRO for example could be still called sub games with extremely difficult and annoying free options. They are not "free to play" in the same way Rift or something is.

I agree that an alternative name could be used, such as free trial or some such crap, but I did not intend to argue over semantics.  The fact is people who play content for free are not in a position to complain about it.  

Everybody is entitled to complain, free speech and all that. They have a right to tell it like it is, even if it's just to warn other like-minded individuals. It's not like they were robbed of anything except the time they invested in the game, but still it's their time and the ways in which the game twisted their arm for cash usually aren't very well advertised in F2P games.

If they discover the game was designed to stonewall your progress from a certain level, then why wouldn't they be in a position to complain? They are people and it's not because they decided not to pay for the game, that they can't feel mistreated or lied to. Much less that they should feel obliged to keep their feelings to themselves. Some Official Forums do a decent enough job of silencing the "freeloaders", no need to extend that policy anywhere else.

Well, if the developers/game have been dishonest or evasive about the free content you receive in order to draw people in and then put up unannounced cash progress barriers then that is a different matter.  But that is to do with slightly shady practices in 'selling' your game rather than the free stuff you are playing.    

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Keep one telling {pick your group and attach a label} that they have no right!!! to complain.

Let's try dwarves. Players of dwarves, you have no right to complain.

What? Stop ignoring me! I'm being super cereal here.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I honestly don't see a broken system.

The way I figure it.  Those who want to pay, do.  Those who don't want to pay, do not.  If the game meets the needs of both types and still makes a comfortable profit level, everyone wins:  Payer, Non-payer, developer, and publisher.

Whiners will always find something to whine about.  Ultimately it boils down to:  "If you don't like it, don't play it".  But even that is met with more whining.  There's no pleasing some people.

Overall I think the industry in general seems trying to optimize itself in favor of customer satisfaction, except for the unscrupulous scammer types and what industry doesn't have them?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

If you advertise it as free to play, it better be free to play.

If you think your customers should know what it really means, I doubt your customers care.

My point is this is a result of marketing and gamers doing what they do. Why is anyone surprised?

Think that's the biggest problem because all F2P games are actually free to play.

Those F2P games are not called Acces To Everything The Game Has To Offer.

I honostly expect bounderies, or restricted acces. Some F2P do that pretty decent and some not, but regardless I can download those games and play those games and it's up to me the player if there is enough fun to be found when playing the game for free.

I think I can count on one hand the amount of F2P games I have played, where RIFT, didn't notice any restriction. Didn't like the F2P model of SWtOR and almost was tempted to sub again untill I saved a whole planet ingame and didn't see anything visually ingame that changed. I got some boots and about 1674 credits for it. Where it isn't the reward that bothered me but the lack of action/reaction in the game world visually. So I've found SWtOR just too shallow to sub too.

I do have alitlte entittlement feel towards sub based games where I often hope to gain acces to everything the game has to offer even fluff to me has to come from playing the game itself.

I am only a little bit worried about sandbox games that are going to F2P.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

There is .. and its ridiculous , either put up or shut up .... if you arent paying , you arent entitled to open your mouth ... 

Entitlement is one who believes they are entitled to more than another.

This means you.

you need to follow along and take the blinders off .. the word applies differently the way the op intended... yours is one meaning and doesnt apply here

Horse teacup in a bucket.

If you are following along and take the blinders off my words and how I personally want them to mean so I am correct in this context will make sense to you.

amidoinitrite?

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

The way I figure it.  Those who want to pay, do.  Those who don't want to pay, do not.  If the game meets the needs of both types and still makes a comfortable profit level, everyone wins:  Payer, Non-payer, developer, and publisher.

The problem with that is it just doesn't pay the bill.s

Imagine you going to your job and on some days you weren't exactly stellar (not bad, just "ok") so your employer decided not to pay you. On other days you "did a good job" and therefore you could get paid.

I think you would go ballistic as you can't be "on" every minute of the day and people make mistakes and losing a day or two of a paycheck because you got behind in your work or had to figure some things out might just not be a good thing. Especially if that was how you were paid over the course of a year.

The problem with f2p is that it caters to those who are wiling to pay to "get ahead" or to "stand out" and that is a small group. That means your game is being funded by a "small" group of people who might just get up and leave for the next "shiny" that comes their way which basically means your entire funding is walking a tightrope each month.

Then you have the people who think games are a "Right" and they have talked themselves into the idea of "them being the content".

quite frankly, I would rather pay more per month and have actual content and less players. Just a dedicated community would do just nicely.

Of course game developers would have to adhere to smaller budgets but they would at least have a better idea of their funding from month to month. They would also have to be more proactive with content and not as laissez faire about it as that breeds contempt and boredom among the playerbase and they will leave when there is nothing to do. Lord of the Rings online has suffered a bit from that in the past.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

RIght, so you actually think major corporations like EA and Sony are jumping all over the F2P train because it hasn't already been proven to be a cash cow?!?

Give me a break. They are doing it wrong and that's why they aren't making the money Asian companies are making. It isn't F2P, its Freemium and Freemium is crap.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

There is nothing "right" or "wrong" about gamers, don't matter if they are free to play or subs or some magical monetization concoction. 

In my perfect world, the entire gameplay "base" would be free. You would be able to buy DLC's. You would be able to buy cosmetics. You would be able to by limited-time boosters. You would be able to buy functional items. (Crafting items, mounts, etc.) 

The only thing I would be against is buying "stattable" gear but that's just one minor vice.

The more cash shop items a game has, the better segregation between subs (or people with cash) and those that will never pay a cent (or haven't yet) into the game. 

We will begin to see stark differences between F2Pers and subs/premiums very soon. (Like in LOL.) 

The segregation is commencing. Which side are you on?

It's gotten to the point where I find myself poking fun at people in LoL at level 30 with no skins.

RIght, so you actually think major corporations like EA and Sony are jumping all over the F2P train because it hasn't already been proven to be a cash cow?!?

Give me a break. They are doing it wrong and that's why they aren't making the money Asian companies are making. It isn't F2P, its Freemium and Freemium is crap.

It is very short term and always "short term". As I said, those who are willing to open their wallets are covering all the costs and that income is not consistent.

there is a video from this guy who was big into gold selling and eventually got involved in the f2p development in china. He gave a talk at a game conference and explained that the whole idea of "f2p" is to get as much money up front and to constantly be opening up new servers to keep the crest of excitement high. Then, which always happens, the game declnes rapidly and they start shutting servers and start trying to get as much money out of players as possible only to then close the game quickly and start over with a new game.

f2p allows for fast money NOW! and you constantly have to entice your players to pay for some little thing to hopefully make your buck until the next month.

So I'm not going to give you a break, I am going to challenge you to think a bit. This is not a long term solution as those "whales" will be leaving as soon as the next game is on the horizon and the game companies are going to have to come up with ways to get much more money. Such as instant high level characters ....

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

But piracy steals money from the mouth of the game  makers butler.  PC gamers are thieves and crooks that killed PC gaming. Look at how badly illegal versions of windows hurt Microsoft.

Free clients could have been given away with an online shop optional, or multiplayer optional rather than DRM and lawsuits.

Just like some where saying.

Is it completely different, or do they owe people an apology?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• ScrangosScrangos Member UncommonPosts: 5

What?

There's an increasing sense of entitlement on people everywhere thats going out of control.  That includes IRL as well.

Originally posted by Scrangos

What?

There's an increasing sense of entitlement on people everywhere thats going out of control.  That includes IRL as well.

I got that same sense. What you thinking? Closed doors, a culling or whistle blowing?

Anyhow, I got the popcorn ready for when the pot simmers over. :)

*Puts on shades* DOG FIGHT! :)

It is very short term and always "short term". As I said, those who are willing to open their wallets are covering all the costs and that income is not consistent.

there is a video from this guy who was big into gold selling and eventually got involved in the f2p development in china. He gave a talk at a game conference and explained that the whole idea of "f2p" is to get as much money up front and to constantly be opening up new servers to keep the crest of excitement high. Then, which always happens, the game declnes rapidly and they start shutting servers and start trying to get as much money out of players as possible only to then close the game quickly and start over with a new game.

f2p allows for fast money NOW! and you constantly have to entice your players to pay for some little thing to hopefully make your buck until the next month.

So I'm not going to give you a break, I am going to challenge you to think a bit. This is not a long term solution as those "whales" will be leaving as soon as the next game is on the horizon and the game companies are going to have to come up with ways to get much more money. Such as instant high level characters ....

Atlantica Online, still running after 7 years. At its peak was making NDoors 60 million in profits a year and the game is till going strong with around 2 million players. Or Runes of Magic, still going strong..........oh wait you are still arguing that freemium games are F2P right? Yeah, Freemium games suck balls and don't make a lot of money. Or you are not and clearly don't know a damn thing about the F2P industry like most people that argue against it.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

give them an inch, and they will take a mile

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Atlantica Online, still running after 7 years. At its peak was making NDoors 60 million in profits a year and the game is till going strong with around 2 million players. Or Runes of Magic, still going strong..........oh wait you are still arguing that freemium games are F2P right? Yeah, Freemium games suck balls and don't make a lot of money. Or you are not and clearly don't know a damn thing about the F2P industry like most people that argue against it.

I'm sure every broke gamer expects every other broke gamer to pay their bills for them.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    There's an excessive amount of entitlement in the world, period.

But piracy steals money from the mouth of the game  makers butler.  PC gamers are thieves and crooks that killed PC gaming. Look at how badly illegal versions of windows hurt Microsoft.

Free clients could have been given away with an online shop optional, or multiplayer optional rather than DRM and lawsuits.

And Cheese Cake costs .24 more in Canada and thus you are wrong.

WTF are you even arguing?!? Nothing you said has anything to do with MMOs, MMOs being Freemiums in the west or why they don't make as much money as Asian MMOs that are actually F2P.

well then if it is such a great system then why wouldn't Elder Scrolls Online incorporate it? Obviously you feel that it's amazing and superior to sub so they must be stupid to not make their game freemium.

Or maybe there is evidence that it isn't the smoking gun that some believe it is.

I don't know enough about Atlantica or Runes of magic to comment on whether they are good games or just cash delivery systems but I will look into them and see what they are about.

Additonally I was commenting on your post about some people pay and some don't and everyone is happy.

My opinion is that if you aren't willing to pay for your entertainment and pay those who have shown you a good time then the "time" wasn't good in the first place.

And Cheese Cake costs .24 more in Canada and thus you are wrong.

WTF are you even arguing?!? Nothing you said has anything to do with MMOs, MMOs being Freemiums in the west or why they don't make as much money as Asian MMOs that are actually F2P.

Pirating  is the original freemium. turns out the people who said pirating actually helped where right.

Ya crooks!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Some of these people have got to be trolling.  "Free to Play" just means you get the ability to download, create a character, and login to the game without paying anything.  That's it.  Everything else is gravy.  Because guess what?  You got what was promised, you spent no money, and you played the game.  That is why they aren't simply called "Free," they have the qualifier "to Play."  Not "Free to Win," "Free to Enjoy," "Free to Talk," "Free to Bank," etc. etc. But that is all semantic BS that doesn't address the OP's real point anyway.  The question was about whether people who make no financial contribution to a game appear to have an excessive sense of entitlement.

The answer appears to be a resounding YES.  By definition, if you have any expectations at all for what you "deserve" to receive when you haven't spent a dime, your sense of entitlement is excessive.  Even if the developers actually had promised you everything for free.  Because if you contribute nothing, you deserve nothing, and should express nothing but gratitude for whatever you are allowed to have. It is a gift, and only complete tools complain about gifts, even when they hate them.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

But your observation just tells the f2p player that they are being effective. Further motivating them.

It's a free game, they don't care. The new griefer.

Pay to play is basically a donation now unless people paying stick together lol..