Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO's failure predicted - your thoughts

Comments

• DrucalionDrucalion Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I think you need to define failure for the purpose of this poll. The person who wrote that article doesn't seem to know the difference between failure, and failed to live up to expectations. Yeah so SWTOR failed to make to the kind of money they were hoping for but it's F2P option IMO is a great success. Same for TES, I doubt it will ever meet their expectations but after a year or so it will settle down into what ever business model makes them a little profit and it will just plod along, much like SWTOR today.
  • DrucalionDrucalion Member UncommonPosts: 22
    And another thing lol. If a game makes more money than it cost to make then it is a success, just because it makes 1million a month instead of 100 million doesnt make it a failure.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Drucalion
    And another thing lol. If a game makes more money than it cost to make then it is a success, just because it makes 1million a month instead of 100 million doesnt make it a failure.

And this only might mean it fails fiscally. My half finished Unity3d project is a failure, not a published finished game. People are so frustrating. 

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

LONG TERM notion is such a JOKE Problem is in gamers first you dont know what a successful mmo is !  

Example if I like milk white Caucasian girls does this mean that rest of the girls in world are ugly ?Of course NOT

You see gamers have a horrably distructive un logical thinking and now in ERA or internet every stupid person have and opinion THEY came it by them self or was PUT IN their mind by social media they have an opinion.

I think ESO will BE MY CUP OF TEA I WILL JOIN SOME PVE WvsW Role play guild and will enjoy the game as much as I can 

Back to LONG TERM  which is inspired by WOW Vanilia rely people ? you want this back ? NON of you will play such game in 2014 you know why?  your spoiled !!!

IN PRESENT LONG TERM IN MMO CAN'T EXIST simply gamers are so damn spoiled.  I see ESO extremely successful if they focus on lore quest lore fans  and if they will expand ESO  lore  WITH OTHER continents of nirn return of OLD GODS new maps new quests new Dungeons new Raids New Features  WITH RANDOM OBLIVION PORTALS SPAWNING with random generated content inside  and TO FOCUS ON IMMERSION .

LONG TERM you say ?! and what you mean by it ?  If you will do 500 times one dungeon you will vomit when see it  MMO can be succeseful only if they expand and expand SOMETHING LIKE WOW in present DO you think WOW would have 7 mil subscribers at the moment it they kept the  Vanilia LOL no ! 

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

It will be a commercial success cuz of IP, but it will fail as an MMO.  Look at several last years and there is almost 100% chance it will fail to meet general expectations. I predict similar progress to GW2, people will play it to lvl cap, realise there is nothing to do and its PvP systems doesnt really work. Not to mention the lagfests !

Thats why my crystal ball says ;)

I'll probably give it a try because of lore and story if it proves to be of a decent quality and then leave quietly.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I think it will be a failure to 90% after the initial first month regarding Elder Scrolls fans and what they expect, the other 10% will play to max level within 3 months and 5% of those will quit, leaving 5% hanging around hoping and praying the game gets better.

Call it a success if you want I guess as initial sales will probably be good, but personally I don't consider that a success, especially considering the game heritage.

• ChewychompChewychomp Member Posts: 9
    Its a EA game of course its going to fail badly, they haven't released a finished descent product in years.
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    One thing specifically I think the Forbes article got wrong was when he commented that no one was asking for an Elder Scrolls MMO...Now...I realize this could be because I mostly play MMO's and my guildmates mostly play MMO's...But there had been conversations among us for years wondering if they would ever make an Elder scrolls MMO...Especially after Skyrim...So I'm not sure what he was talking about there...I believe there is a demand...Of course the game is going to have to be good or the demand won't matter much...
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    It won't generate WoW like income for the developers.  It will be profitable.  Success to some, failure to others.  Who really cares other than the investors? 
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

as SP rpg  +  co-op game it ll be great but as mmorpg prolly not too much impressive

Have no idea how looking pvp ,it is only for what I am interested in that game.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Chewychomp
    Its a EA game of course its going to fail badly, they haven't released a finished descent product in years.

Do you even know what game we are talking about here? EA is SWTOR... we are talking about ESO which is Zenimax/Bethesda.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko
    I have to disagree mainly because, if I remember correctly, that article was mainly about console gamers like they're the only ones that exist anymore and they'll determine the fate of the game.  I'd risk my current savings on betting most TES players are actually PC gamers.  The guy's also basing his decision on the fact it'll be P2P rather than F2P or B2P which most MMO players on this forum seem to prefer the P2P model.

TES series sold way more on consoles than it did on PC.  Skyrim alone was 86% of its sales on consoles with 14% on PC.

Not only that but the vast majority of PC TES players are heavy modders who mainly don't play MMORPGs. I know this is where someone who just so happens to be a TES fan and MMO fan will jump in and say I am wrong but then I will just point out that if most of them were MMORPG players, then why are they still playing Oblivion after 6+ years?

If they were MMORPG players they wouldn't be playing a SRPG for that long of time and still making mods for it. It goes against the very idea of being an MMORPG player except for a CASUAL MMORPG player, in which case, TESO still wont be a game for you because its end game PvP based created for hardcore players.

TESO is not targeting the vast majority of TES fans, something the writer ALSO pointed out. But like all fanboys, everyone is trying to just focus on him talking about subscriptions, something else he was correct about in his context. Subscriptions is a way to NOT target the TES audience which do not play subscription based games.

MAJORITY, that is what his context is. The majority of TES players are not MMORPG players.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Do you even know what game we are talking about here? EA is SWTOR... we are talking about ESO which is Zenimax/Bethesda.

I know what game we are talking about, but what's bothering me is yet another post by someone who is bashing, seriously dude, if you are that blinded by your hatred of the game take those God-awful sunglasses off.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    I have "heard" things about the game like it is bleh, dull, boring, and just another themepark on rails.  The skills are the same ol same ol, nothing impressive. The quests r go here kill x amount go here do this, blah blah blah. Also "heard" it is not like elder scrolls very much at all. Just another dull boring themepark on rails ride, i will pass.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by killahh
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

I know what game we are talking about, but what's bothering me is yet another post by someone who is bashing, seriously dude, if you are that blinded by your hatred of the game take those God-awful sunglasses off.

Where did the OP bash TESO? Thought I read somewhere that he likes what he's seen.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I voted that I don't expect a failure from ESO.

Given such a large TES fanbase, I feel it is impossible to screw up the game badly enough to not return a healthy profit.

Faith in the design, faith in the team?  Heck no.

Faith in the sheer mass of the fanbase?  Yes.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Fappuccino Define failure. Define to whom?
    Failure , very simply put , for everyone to understand :

Commercial product failing to break even

Breaking even would still be a failure, people don't launch products/business to break even. they have to be profitable.

Pretty big hill for TESO to climb, I would be impressed if they turn a profit on this.

So many games to choose from now that don't require purchase+subscription. I wonder if they truly understand the landscape.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    In the first week they will sell enough copies to get back the money they spent on development. After that pure profit.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Gilllean

When ESO will release and will break sales records. Remember me }: )

er, that really won't mean anything.

At the time, Warhammper had 800k box sales which was considered amazing and it just closed.

SWToR (which I do feel is a good game) had a lot of box sales but not enough players to make it financially viable (I do think having a themepark without much end game contributed to that)

I have played ESO in one way or another and will definitely give my thoughts when the time comes.

I agree, it will sell a lot of boxes but that is not what is going to make it a success.

Remember what you were saying about "stupid video game players" ? (which sometimes is a thought that sadly crosses my mind) Making a statement that it's going to sell a lot of boxes, break records doesn't really put you in a good light as you appear to not be thinking beyond that point.

so let's not go pointing fingers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Fappuccino
    Define failure. Define to whom?

Failure , very simply put , for everyone to understand :

Commercial product failing to break even

I know what you're saying, but at the end of the day, if this title does not exceed WOW in terms of subs/longevity, people will consider it a failure, regardless of how profitable it ends up being.

It's in the same league, large budget, well known IP, Dev's with some previous experience, expectations will be high and difficult to meet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I *LOVE* MMORPGs but this is just the wrong IP for it and the wrong approach for trying to brute force an IP into an MMORPG format.  They are going away from the strengths of the franchise and will ultimately dish up a watered down, generic, and boring product.

I'd imagine that ESO will sell a bunch of units and recoup their development costs.  So in that regard, they'll be a success.

But I predict that it'll be a (very, very) crappy MMORPG, won't retain players, and ultimately won't be a successful MMORPG in that regard, which is what matters.

Elder Scrolls is a franchise known for quality PvE with amazing depth, detail, choice, consequences, permanent effects on the world from player actions, incredible immersion, incredible freedom.

ESO is going heavy PvP, which makes ZERO sense for the ES franchise - there should be ZERO PvP and they should be attempting to do an MMO version of their quality PvE - which would be impossible since you can't do the freedom, permananet effects, or immersion or much of anything that makes ES amazing in an MMORPG.

There is no immersion when you're seeing 20 people swarming a quest NPC, or you're standing in line for quest kills/items, or you're waiting for repops in dungeons due to there being 10 other players around, or there's doods named xXDrizzt99Xx running across your screen naked shout injults in public chat.  There is no vastness in small zones with zone boundries and loading screens.  There is no permanent effect on anything when it has to reset immediately for the next player in line.  There is no freedom when you pick a class and can't move around freely because you're in a tiny zone and have to do X, Y, and Z to get out of it.

As someone who loves ES/Skyrim, the ONLY thing I've ever though that could make the game better would be to play it with a few close friends.  A few.  Not thousands of random, idiotically named, chat flooding, childish mentality halfwits.  A few friends.  Local co op.  Me hosting my own server with me and a couple close friends enjoying the exact gameplay of Skyrim together, seeing the incredible sights together, impacting the world thru our decisions.

There is zero chance of anything like the magic that would be Skyrim co-op happening in the ESO game.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

TESO will make money, and even if that doesn't happen during the sub-based release, it will certainly happen after F2P.

I'm rooting for it though, I think it's a bit better than people are giving it credit for; and it's more TES than people will admit.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Voqar

ESO is going heavy PvP, which makes ZERO sense for the ES franchise - there should be ZERO PvP and they should be attempting to do an MMO version of their quality PvE - which would be impossible since you can't do the freedom, permananet effects, or immersion or much of anything that makes ES amazing in an MMORPG.

It makes perfect sense to me. I got the SP games for my PvE.

I want to experience something different in the Elder Scrolls games, PvP seems like a good choice for something different.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

I have to admit it is kinda odd so many articles are going out of their way to bash a random MMO in beta.

That said I believe the hate to be justified and fully expect ESO to flop and deservedly so. They are using the Elder Scroll name on a game that is nothing like any Elder Scrolls, thus wholeheartedly deserve to fail.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I think all the negativity is a good thing for the game. The hype needs to be low for this game for it to succeed. High expectations lead to failure in the eyes of many regardless of the actual state of the game.

The more players that just buy the game and expect to only play the first month is a good thing. They may end up getting surprised by something along the leveling path or with the PvP and may actually like the game and stay. TOR is an example of expectations so high that anything less than WoW numbers was a failure. The failed end game had something to do with it, but it was made worse because of the hype. So bash this game before it is released I say, it can only help in the long run.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

This discussion has been closed.