Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When are you too old to play MMOs/Games . . . .

Comments

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Count me in as part of the 1st gen gamers! :)

But all the credit has to go to my dad.

He's the one who got us playing in the first place (he had a TRS-80 Color computer, on which we played games that were on.. gasp... audio tapes!). 

I also remember rainy days (back then we had to go outside you know.. ;) ) we spent inside with him playing Zelda when we got our NES..

Later on, we were the ones keeping him up to date, helping him upgrade his pc when we visited, bringing him new games to play,etc.  He played till the end, at 66 when he passed away.  His main passions were motorcycles/mechanic and videogames.. so I'm sure he'd still be playing today!

When my wife tells me to grow up and stop playing, I gently remind her of my dad...  :)

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Kuriouz

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

The childish Neverending model of processed E-sport gaming that is fooling people into thinking they are playing mmoRPGs?  They should quit immediately in order to force the industry to grow the "expletive" up.  That being said, if I were living in Colorado or Washington State, recent legislative changes might actually be the reasoning behind why this industry will never die, at least in those particular states.

In all seriousness and to answer the OP's intent behind the post (I wouldn't have used F2P and MMO in the same sentence, no more than I would put McDonald's and healthy food together...), Gary Gygax (Dungeons and Dragons co-creator) helped write the book (quite literally) on fantasy RP games.  He was still doing his best to run pen and paper games at his house, even for total strangers shortly before he passed at the age of 69. 

What that tells me is that if you are playing something of quality with a good group of folks, then by all means, what does age equivocating with a maturity that would somehow deem this particularly safe habit as no longer being viable social interaction have to do with anything?  English you say?  Alrighty, no matter how old you get, if you're having fun without hurting yourself and others, then by all means, go for it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

30 + ?  Too funny.

That was 2 decades ago. :-)

Dear Santa,

Where is my lootz? Were you too busy playing MMO's to swing by my crib Xmas eve? /sigh

Wrong guy.  You're thinking of Saint Nicholas.  He's my brother.

I'm Saint Nicotine.  Used to be Saint Benzodiazapine, but my doctor pulled my script when I got addicted. *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • kieranbunnykieranbunny Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Heh,I am gonna just paste me reply to another thread on another site to this same question:hmm, this is the second article about getting"too old for games"..or "aging" out of gaming that I have seen recently; I am a gamer...have been, will be until they pry the mouse and KB outta me cold dead bunny paws!!
    I play them to keep me mind active..the challenge and the people.Some folks might think I'm "too old"(I'm WELL over 50)but that's their problem..not mine. Some games seem to be too "casual"..some too grindy...in short..there are a LOT of games to choose from..those I like...I play...those I don't..I don't...and I'm looking at you CapCom. I hear a LOT about the "Golden Age" of gaming..(creaky old bunny voice): why..you young'uns don't know what hard is!!..WE had to run uphill through all the mobs and dungeons in the game just to get your corpse...and it was uphill both ways!!..and you were nekkid!..and all the server LAUGHED at you for dying..it was mandatory!!..*SIGH*..the old games did have a story..drew me in..I miss that..but I don't miss the mechanics..today's games are better. What's needed is a better balance between casual playing and "hardcore"(I hate these terms) what I REALLY hate is being nickel and dimed to death or "pay to win" I'd rather pay a sub for a game that I really enjoy than play FTP and end up in a monetary arms race. Ah well..to each their own! That's why I enjoy gaming..We Gamers are an odd breed..and we all have differing opinions..and from my OLD perspective..that's just fine..(wonder if they freak out if I have a gaming puter installed in me coffin...)  ==>;*}

==(:*D

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

You are never to old to play a MMO - my father is almost 79 years of age and will play to his final day.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

when are you too old to watch football, play chess or checkers, or a hand of poker?

games are games. there just happens to be a wider assortment of them with a set of new technologies.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
     I am 41 and play many games. I was playing the first video games in the world. And I will hopefully be "plugged in" to a nice VR game in my old age if I live long enough to see them. So as a true gamer I say no age is to old. I am in guilds with members as old as 72 and our raids dominate.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

Not sure, but I'll let you know when I feel that way.

• bestadamirebestadamire Member Posts: 13
    Youre too old when you have a heart attack when the adrenaline pumps.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Video games have only been considered "Kids" hobbies, because when they were invented most adults had already established their own.

People around my age (around 40) are the first generation where gaming was our hobby from our young childhood. 

Get used to the idea of having gaming systems in retirement communities and geriatric raids - it's gonna happen.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    When you start using buzzwords like "innovative" and "new" as criteria for whether or not a game will be enjoyable, you are too 'old' (or burnt out) on playing MMOs.
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Gosh,  I don't know about young folks in their 30s -- they are often too tweaked out with kids and career path issues.  By your mid-50s,  you'll have more time.  We still have LAN parties, our own guilds that have floated around since EQ or Eve or SWG or tabletop/(A)D&D/Avalon Hill/miniatures… wargaming (in my case at MIT,  late 70s/early 80s).  We discovered INFOCOM games and rogue and empire and adventure… 

You weren't old enough to game yet.

I wouldn't fret.

And guys, omg, get over the non-gamer run-by-tail wifie thing as a law of nature assumption please?  Rude much?  I see so many young people gaming together like they would play boardgames or (retro!) bridge together, or movie nights with friends.  Not a guy thing.

I am not a black swan,  but some of y'all make it disagreeable to be female around these forums sometimes without wanting to gag sometimes -- I tend to assume that explains the sparsity.  ESRB says over half online gamers have two X chromosomes.  Even allowing that a lot of those women and girls may play Farmville or Bejewelled Blitz?  Stop walling up yout own ghetto.  It's not the brightest move, assuming you like women.

Gaming isn't something you stop doing when you grow up,  but I surely wish more gamers chose the option. :)  Xbox live would be empty and go entirely out of business… all kinds of good things could come to pass! <jk>

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

People become too old for Intense sports like Boxing, or working jobs in physically demanding fields. Playing a video game requires you sit sit on your butt for a couple of hours. You're never too old for that, but perhaps you may become too disabled for it.

The way I see it, is that it's a recreational entertainment for most people. Just like going bowling, shooting a game of pool, watching TV, and things of that sort. There just happens to be a very slowly diminishing stereotype against it because for quite some time in western culture there had been the idea that 'video games' were for little kids. This was due to the fact that most early video games were marketed towards children, just like Christmas toys. However, the target audiences quickly changed as people grew up, yet the stereotype has persisted because stereotypes are incredibly difficult to change as they represent a way for people to perceive the world around them in a simplified way rather than becoming swamped with complexities in every day life. It's really just a part of a picture that has been painted into peoples minds of how 'things just are', even if it is not necessarily so.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Darkholme
    Never, and anyone that says otherwise is wrong, and other less nice things that I won't say...

I have no idea why you got so offended? no one is snatching your toys from you. Chill.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303
    When RL hits in and u get less time for such things. Not many ppl i gamed in my early teens are playing still now with 20+.
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I don't have the fast twitch reflexes like I used to but I can still grind and curse at people with the best of them.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    No age limit...>As long as you can push a button you can play a MMO.
  • ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    You're never too old.  Simple as that.  Gaming is just a form of entertainment that one can enjoy without physical exertion - similar to reading, listening to the radio, watching TV and movies.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

You're never too old if you still enjoy them.  But I think the enjoyment diminishes with age (or perhaps you just become weary of the same old content rehashed time and again).  

Strangely it doesn't with other entertainment such as books.  

However, with film and TV I find that instead of wanting to watch the harsh and often violently gritty movies of my youth, I would now rather watch something warm and comforting like Family Guy.  I never thought this would happen and I am only in my early 30's.  

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

You're never too old if you still enjoy them.  But I think the enjoyment diminishes with age (or perhaps you just become weary of the same old content rehashed time and again).  

Strangely it doesn't with other entertainment such as books.  

However, with film and TV I find that instead of wanting to watch the harsh and often violently gritty movies of my youth, I would now rather watch something warm and comforting like Family Guy.  I never thought this would happen and I am only in my early 30's.  

I'm probably a couple of years older, but strangely, this is a phenomena that I also experience.  I used to watch a lot of horror-related TV and movies; now I'm happier with, like you say, Family Guy.  We must be mellowing out!

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    The great thing about games...is they liberate you from most physical constraints.You are never to old to play.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think age should matter if you don't think it should matter.

I don't think one can be too old to play games though I do think one can approach these games in a way that is childish.

So approach it like an adult.

Take care of your responsibilities, know when to take a break or stop, know how much money you should be spending, make sure you make time for the people who are important in your day to day life, comport yourself like an "adult", etc.

There is a guy in my guild who I believe is in his late 70's.

Yes, there are people who think video games are childish and there are reasons for that thinking. Though I believe that part of it is that there are a lot of "childish" people playing video games who are vocal and somewhat taint the activity for those of us who are more mature in day to day life.

I believe its mostly a conservative view that dates back to the days when Video Games were considered Toys. And Toys were linked to Kids not adults.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

<-- Almost 50 now, female gamer even. Started video gaming when Pong was new, and will be gaming until I'm dead. ;)

Have fun playing FPS games like Battlefield, especially when grandma -- without exploits or cheats -- can keep up with those kids who do. }:>

Drives the kids literally bananas, but what can I say, been computing before some of their parents were born!

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

40+

after done stuff in RL ,playing mmo is main way to relax

Things what I doing for fun when was younger are not fun more,they are bored now.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    If your swamp crack becomes mud butt, you might be too old to play MMORPG's :)