Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When are you too old to play MMOs/Games . . . .

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

When the sciatica and assorted other sedentary hobby health issues begin to set in.

You're good (most likely, sans stroke) to fifty, the proctologist and cardiologist will tell you when to stop.

• battlewagonbattlewagon Member UncommonPosts: 17

About a month ago I got an invite for a beta test weekend for (sorry can't say the name) .  When I told my wife that I got into the beta test and my weekend was shot she looked at me like I had just shot one of the family dogs.

She then began to inform me about all the things we had "planned" for the weekend that she hadn't bothered to notify me about sooner.  needless to say the weekend turned into a one half testing one half family and me getting virtually no sleep.

But even though the weekend didn't quite turn out the way I expected, it was still a good testing weekend and I still managed to spend time doing the things that were important in real life.  Had that weekend happened before I was married ... I would have cut off the phone, turned off the lights, ordered enough soda and pizza for the weekend and not seen the light fo day until Monday morning.

Now days I realize that wasn't the way to live then and it sure isn't the way to live now.  Everything has to have moderation even gaming.  Older age has literally made me see the light.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

im 30 now and have noticed in few year my FPS game reflex are slower and motivate to be top in score is gone.

so i found my self play a lot pve games or games where u dont need be so ADHD reflex,strategy,mmorpgs,rpgs,turn based games and FPS games where is zombies, like DayZ,No more room in hell etc...

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I am 56 years old.   I have 7 MMOs on my machine (not all active), the entire Elder Scrolls series, and other games spreading across a number of genres.   I will never stop playing games; it is my hobby and I enjoy it.  If  you give up anything because of your age, you are robbing yourself.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I am 46, I do not plan to stop gaming for a while (My wife may have words against that) but so long as you enjoy what you do .. I say go for it.

As for WHEN are you too old ... When you are no longer among the living ...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

30 + ?  Too funny.

That was 2 decades ago. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I'm 41 and have been gaming since the Atari 2600 back in 1979.  I don't see an end to my gaming hobby any time soon.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Simple answer. When you decide you are. I've heard of some people gaming online in their 70s and 80s and seniors certainly play a ton of card games and things.They would probably laugh at you if you told them they were too old to be playing games.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Kuriouz
    Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs. What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

42 And no intention of stopping any time soon. I have a buddy I play with in his 60's and a couple other guys in their 40's/50's. All retired military and all gamers for over 10 years. You are never to old.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• battlewagonbattlewagon Member UncommonPosts: 17

People worried about what other people think when it comes to gaming ...

I am actually surprised by this statement a little bit.  Back in 2004 - 2007 I was working in electronics down in Florida.  Almost the entire office were gamers.  Everyone who was had a Warcraft account.  I think I could honestly go so far as to say that people spent more time researching the game on line at work than actually working at the job.  it got so bad that one of the gamers left an old laptop at work.  Initially it was so that he could plug it in and game during off hours.  What that laptop turned into was a way for people to communicate with other techncians.  You needed somebody's expertise on a piece of gear, you didn't call ot text them at home.  They wouldn't answer anyway.  Instead you simply booted up the laptop, logged into game and sent them a tell.  I can't even recall how many times I repair a piece of equipment by sending chat messages back and forth in World of Warcraft.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

42 years old here, and still gaming.  My father is in his 60's and he games when he has time as well, including playing EVE.

There is no age limit on gaming.  In fact, the only limit is in whether or not there is content out there that interests you.  One of the reasons people argue over MMORPGs on this website is because there is a mix of age groups and a mix of people who are fairly new to MMOs vs people who are veterans.

For me, there is a lack of content in MMORPGs that stimulate my mind.  Even beyond the "been there and done that" repetition of today's games, there's also something to be said about games needing some "adult content".  The term adult content spans a wide range of subjects, but the fact is, many of these games just seem infantile to adults who want deeper experiences.  That's not all bad, but for some of us, there is a craving for more.  At some point, the industry is going to have to understand that there are more sophisticated and mature adults gaming now, and that's only going to continue to grow.

Think about how music has changed.  For example, I'm 42 years old, and still listen to some great rap music. Same goes for rock, alt and other genres. I mostly listen to electronica these days because it's a very creative space. People don't wake up one day at some adult age, and start listening to Smooth Jazz, though we may get away from pop music because largely, pop music doesn't change much and tends to be simple minded.  Movies are the same.  I stopped watching every action flick that comes out because I've seen ten thousand of them, and most of them are the basic same experience over and over again.  Now I only put time into exceptional movies, and I seek out more unique movies than I used to.  I'd rather watch a thought provoking indie film such as 'Moon' instead of 'Transformers'.

Gaming is no different.  The concept of escaping into a game for entertainment and experiences that we can't have in real life is one that is not limited by age, but by what is available on the market.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TorgamaticTorgamatic Member UncommonPosts: 29

52 this year, still playing games

More complex the mind greater the need for play.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

Game are entertainment and not worst of them. There are things much more worse than MMO.

As long as you balance your time between MMO family job you have right to enjoy your hobby . 

I'm just 24 but I come from a society where PC games is something new and such people are not treated with much respect still no body complain about those who cheat  drink  waste money on  sluts  and are basically shitty people   .

So from my point of view MMO is a great hobby if it can be categorized as so . And it shouldn't be restricted by age . I personally  think it's ok there are worse things to complain about but complaining that a 30 years old man like playing game it's ridiculous.

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354

You can't be too old for MMORPGs, only too young...

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Greatsword

You can't be too old for MMORPGs, only too young...

Pretty much right on the spot.  Age is just a number as long as you can continue to press, or faceplam, keys and your mouse you should be ok to play.

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

It's a hobby.

I've known 70+ year old men that like to play with toy trains....or dress up like a civil war soldier ....or hang glide ....or whatever.

Gaming is no different. I can say that the guild I usually play MMOs with...we started in our 20's and a good portion of us are now in our 40's. .....so as far as I am concerned...you're good for at least another decade.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Never.  You are never too old to play games.

I am 35 and I have no desire to ever quit playing video games.  Not to mention I have a backlog that will require the rest of my life to complete....  :p

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169

Old enough to know better, too young to resist...

I would say, as long as you've got your shit mostly straight, game on.

A kid failing out of school shouldn't play games and an unemployed 30 year old shouldn't play games.

If you're not living in someone else's basement, game on..  You've earned it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

There is no age limit to gaming.

I'm 41 playing games since Pong.

Got a cousin who is 58 and he still play's games. Not so much MMO's, though he did spend years in WoW. But he is a first day release buyer with most A-tittle games. He does have more time to game even though he has a wife and 2 kids but he is already retired.

I often feel that most are too young to play MMORPG's as I've seen often younger people wanting more singleplayer like MMO's and their rush to cap lvl because then most MMO's turn into just regular multiplayer games only difference more player involved and that's what most are used too. I actually doubt that the majority of people into MMO's are even interested in RPG games.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21
    You should be talking bout when are you TOO YOUNG to play MMOs/Games. At least old people have paid their dues so to speak. Teens are a horrible lot, altho I prefer they keep zombie gaming, so they dont become successful in life and take my job away in 10 years!
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    When im dead
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

You are never to old to play games... And MMO´s are in general one of the game types played by 40, 50 and 60+ people

I think the average age in my LOTRO guild is 40+

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I think the OP fails to realize how gaming has changed in the past 10 years.  People who never thought to pick up a game or buy a console, do so constantly these days.   

My parents always encouraged my gaming habit, but they never would play video games.  These days, even my mother has picked up some games for her mobile device,  and when I purchased my Wii, the entire family came over to try it, and half of them ended up getting one for their kids.

That being said, games are so widespread now, that it permeates everyday life for a good number of the population.  I grew up on games, and in a way, it shaped me to be the person I am now -- a person that I mostly like -- and I wouldn't change that about myself.   I think games do allow for people to cultivate their imaginations, to relax, and can bring people together.  There is no age where those things should be ceased.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Well, let me put it this way.

Ol' Joe down the hall at the nursing home is still running macros. He died last week.

Once upon a time....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

30 + ?  Too funny.

That was 2 decades ago. :-)

Well yeah, but you're a zombie now. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon