Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population in low level zones ?

BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I'm thinking about giving GW2 a shot again. Most of my characters are low level, the highest level is 40. I might start from scratch with a new character. How is the population on EU servers ? How does it translate to low level zones ? I suspect they are mostly empty.

Comments

• EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    This is not highly relevent,  as I play on the US Servers,  but the population of the low level zone when I made a new character last night,  was exactly 3.  Or at least that is how many people were willing to participate in zone wide chat.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

zone 1-15  have good population  its the 20-70  zones that are more empty unless there is a event  running

but  you normally can find people and i always find it  a shock when i come across  small groups in these areas  you tend to group up and do a bit of content together 

but 99% of all content you can do solo  so its not really a problem  but it is more fun in a group  or  just find a active big guild

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Blindchance

I'm thinking about giving GW2 a shot again. Most of my characters are low level, the highest level is 40. I might start from scratch with a new character. How is the population on EU servers ? How does it translate to low level zones ? I suspect they are mostly empty.

Queensdale is really high - it is the starting zone most players know and so some champion trains run in this area and you will also see a bunch of black lion key farmers doing the human commoner human storyline.

Other areas will depend - there will always be a good number of players for any World Bosses or Living World and if you say something in map chat about champions you will have a few people show up.

So unless you are always leveling up and question with a party of 5 in other games, you will be fine.

Sorry to disappoint you but EU servers are far from empty,

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

GW2 is dead.. no point in trying to cover that up.

Game is beautiful though, single player theme park or not.. its worth doing the zone achievements.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Nightlite

Game is beautiful though, single player theme park or not.. its worth doing the zone achievements.

Not dead...and you are trying to cover that up. Any time I log in there are players everywhere. And I only log in a couple times a weeks now. People running all over the newb zones...and the rest of the world has a good share. If you expect a million players per zone....then yeah

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Everyone is either in Lions Arch, Queensdale, Frostgorge Sound or wherever the next cruddy Living Scarlett Story is.  Everywhere else is D-E-A-D.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

Not dead...and you are trying to cover that up. Any time I log in there are players everywhere. And I only log in a couple times a weeks now. People running all over the newb zones...and the rest of the world has a good share. If you expect a million players per zone....then yeah

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and updated my client and logged in at Frostgorge Sound.. I simply could not find one player, this was probably one of the most popular spots as people started to hit max level after launch. But.. you said it wasn't dead so I continued to Lions Arch, there were 8 people in front of the trader, another 10 or so crafting another few here and there. DEAD, but you said the game wasn't dead.. so I continued to Queensdale, definitely the NPCs were in the majority. No one said a word in chat the entire time..

Just for comparision I logged into Aion and went to the Asmodian capital city, easily over 100 crafting, endless flow at the trader, chat going wild.. this is a game not hyped at all right now and going on 6 years old.

So then I was like, lets try another game people laugh at.. so I logged into Tera; usual elin movie name game going on in chat, lots of recruitment for battlegrounds in between. Went through a few random towns and there were always people at the traders and bankers, others running around questing... not packed but definitely felt alive. Actually still logged in right now : /

I'm hard pressed to think of a game that is more DEAD then GW2, perhaps I will log into AoC (one of the biggest launch flops I can possibly remember), or perhaps you can help? Which GW2 server should I transfer to and what area should I look in, you know.. so I see that this game isn't DEAD.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I ussually start a new shar. Low pop zones are still high. Queensdale is the most pop zones and everyday i see a lot of people there. Both low and high level chars go there

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and updated my client and logged in at Frostgorge Sound.. I simply could not find one player, this was probably one of the most popular spots as people started to hit max level after launch. But.. you said it wasn't dead so I continued to Lions Arch, there were 8 people in front of the trader, another 10 or so crafting another few here and there. DEAD, but you said the game wasn't dead.. so I continued to Queensdale, definitely the NPCs were in the majority. No one said a word in chat the entire time..

Just for comparision I logged into Aion and went to the Asmodian capital city, easily over 100 crafting, endless flow at the trader, chat going wild.. this is a game not hyped at all right now and going on 6 years old.

So then I was like, lets try another game people laugh at.. so I logged into Tera; usual elin movie name game going on in chat, lots of recruitment for battlegrounds in between. Went through a few random towns and there were always people at the traders and bankers, others running around questing... not packed but definitely felt alive. Actually still logged in right now : /

I'm hard pressed to think of a game that is more DEAD then GW2, perhaps I will log into AoC (one of the biggest launch flops I can possibly remember), or perhaps you can help? Which GW2 server should I transfer to and what area should I look in, you know.. so I see that this game isn't DEAD.

Then I feel sorry that you have ended up on a server with no population or login in on hours when people sleep. On my EU server that I play on I even get in overflow when I go to Lions arch and in queensdale the champ train keeps area filled with players. Norn land is also very high populated in the low level zone. The zones that I find to have less players are between lvl 35-70 but if there is a champion there or scarlet minions attack then alot of players will come to the zone. 

Level 80 worlds almost always have champ trains around the clock and they are pretty fun to join. 

WvW you still get in a que to enter the eternal battlegrounds almost always so they are very populated.

Low populated zones will always exsist in games that are as big as guild wars 2 this happends to every game (that I have played atleast) for example I used to play WOW when they had 10-12 million players but still I could run around for many low level zones for hour without meeting anyone and this was when the game was huge.

I play on a server called Gandera or something like that and its filled with players so join our server and I will invite you to our guild we have about 400 members and we always welcome new players.

// Beelze

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Desolation. Very good server :-D

Originally posted by Thodra

And we keep beating Gandara. :)

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Thodra

And we keep beating Gandara. :)

yeah you do and it sucks :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Zones are dead in every zone. The only places you'll see any amount of people are of course Lion's Arch/Pvp zones, and at the Queensdale Champion loop and the Frostgorge Champion loop. Most people just hop on the Queensdale Champion loop to level characters as quickly as possible now.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Vutar

How dare you question the pinnacle of casual game play and suggest the game is dead!! It can't be dead!!! This is the game casuals have dreamed of, their holy grail. If it were dead that would mean casual's aren't playing it and that just can't be. GW2 has to succeed for casuals, if not their unsupported theories of casual players holding up the genre would be unfounded. How dare you question this!

In order to right this horrible wrong you now must post something that uses "elitist" multiple times in demeaning ways to reassert the casual gaming superiority.

How dare the pinnacle of casual game play not be dead? It must be dead!!

Every zone (with the exception of all the zones that aren't empty) are empty and dead!

We all know every real hardcore game with a subscription fee has every single are packed with players, especially the mid level zones, and you are always questing with at least another 25 people in your party!

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

You know Anet have fixed the culling have you increased the number of people you can see in options?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Some of the servers are just dead. A lot of the people have transferred to the higher population servers for WvW reasons leaving a number of those servers quite empty. If PvP isn't your thing and you don't want to transfer, you can still guest on one of those high population servers. The guesting feature is nice for situations like this. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Correct, they are mostly empty. It should be easy for you to fund dungeons groups and pvp, but open world stuff will be boring except for living story.

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Some of the servers are just dead. A lot of the people have transferred to the higher population servers for WvW reasons leaving a number of those servers quite empty. If PvP isn't your thing and you don't want to transfer, you can still guest on one of those high population servers. The guesting feature is nice for situations like this. 

As if that has a big impact on the PvE population.

There are 3 medium populated EU servers, 11 high population and 13 very high population.

Piken Square that is a high population server is ranked #3 in WvW ahead of Very high population servers.

Ruins of Surmia, a medium population server is ahead of Underworld a very high pop server.

And both Ruins of Surmia and Arborstone (both medium) are ahead of Ring of Fire and Blacktide, both very high population.

Hint: accounts with 0 characters (you can delete them) can transfer for free.

Originally posted by mCalvert

Correct, they are mostly empty. It should be easy for you to fund dungeons groups and pvp, but open world stuff will be boring except for living story.

You mean except living story and world bosses/temple events and level 80 areas (especially malchor's leap and Cursed Shores).

So the rest of the Open World you will be playing either alone or with your guildies friends plus the occasional random strangers - just like in any other successful MMORPGs (Outlands and Northrend are quite a bit empty).

But I'm sure soon we will have a post or another thread stating that GW2 sucks because everything is a big zerg.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by mCalvert

You mean except living story and world bosses/temple events and level 80 areas (especially malchor's leap and Cursed Shores).

So the rest of the Open World you will be playing either alone or with your guildies friends plus the occasional random strangers - just like in any other successful MMORPGs (Outlands and Northrend are quite a bit empty).

But I'm sure soon we will have a post or another thread stating that GW2 sucks because everything is a big zerg.

Correct. if you enjoy grinding boss chests via a timer, you will LOVE GW2. No need to sugar coat it. GW2 has the same flaws as every other themepark.

There are 3 medium populated EU servers, 11 high population and 13 very high population.

Piken Square that is a high population server is ranked #3 in WvW ahead of Very high population servers.

Ruins of Surmia, a medium population server is ahead of Underworld a very high pop server.

And both Ruins of Surmia and Arborstone (both medium) are ahead of Ring of Fire and Blacktide, both very high population.

You forgot to mention that Anet adjusted their server thresh holds a couple months ago in order to make the servers look more populated than they are. In fact, from what I read on the official forums, they have done that more than once this past year.

You forgot to mention that Anet adjusted the servers threshold to increase the server cap, several times since launch.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-capacity-increased-again

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

You forgot to mention that Anet adjusted their server thresh holds a couple months ago in order to make the servers look more populated than they are. In fact, from what I read on the official forums, they have done that more than once this past year.

Source?

/10char

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Actually, you have that bass-ackwards. They increased the population caps on the servers which had the effect of making the servers appear less "full" in order to make sure there was more space for promotions and the like. They've increased the population cap at least four times since launch.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by elitero

Source?

/10char

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-capacity-increased-again/first#post1800178

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by elitero

Source?

/10char

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-capacity-increased-again/first#post1800178

Oh I know about that one, I just wasn't sure about the one where they adjusted server loads according to what they felt was needed to "show more population".