Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch out when to buy

I have been playing the game for 3 months again, started from scratch... and i found out that you can get most of the stuff really cheep when you buy at the right time..

I bought all 4 expansions for €15 and yesterday i got my hands on Helmsdeep for another €15..

And you only need to be VIP when playing levels 20 to 50 which is about a month ... you get access as a VIP to all that content  cost €10..  VIP also gives you access to all traits and virtues and 5 bags for all the characters you create..

i saved up 3500tp by now (350 hours played and level 80) the expansions came with 1000tp each and the month of VIP with 500 tp..   Thats enough to buy most zones you need to level alts.. Also these zone packs sometimes are available at like half the cost...

Yes there are some things you would want to buy, but you can live without them for sure..   If you love tolkien stories, this is still a great game to play... i just followed the Epic stories and its like playing a character in your own pre written book... Yes, playing the main storie is kind of linear.. but then there is much more to do then just this...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I would really like to play LOTRO, and back around Thanksgiving they were offering all expantion packs except the latest for only $19.95 that was a great deal.

But they made the game too easy to the point that its not any fun. I keep this game on my favorites here waiting for someone to say its normal again....Guess not yet :(

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by delete5230

I would really like to play LOTRO, and back around Thanksgiving they were offering all expantion packs except the latest for only $19.95 that was a great deal.

But they made the game too easy to the point that its not any fun. I keep this game on my favorites here waiting for someone to say its normal again....Guess not yet :(

To easy?  Thats because you play light blue content, now try orrange/red content and tell me again its too easy...

There are no things preventing you from doing red content...  There is no 3 level max range like in WoW

and try group content set to hard with no high levels available to help you out...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There are no things preventing you from doing red content...  There is no 3 level max range like in WoW

Actually there is, above +5 levels (red) you miss a lot, you can't crit, and you deal pretty low damage. Above +8 levels (purple) you barely even hit the mob and the aggro range gets extended, you literally aggroing mobs from a mile away. It's pretty fun, I must admit.

And with the boosted xp rates you can't easily find orange / red content unless you skip a lot of quests, with which you also skip a lot of great stories, and basically breakig your own leveling fun with jumping around and disregarding the world.

And as it was stated numerous times both here and the official forums as well, the "too easy? go and solo the group content then" is not a very decent answer, it only shows the (lack of) dev cpabilities. What's next, ""too easy? play blindfolded, then it's hard" ?  lol.

(not a perfect example, back in the days there was a competition to play Pinball with switched off monitor, just by the sounds... loved it :) )

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

If you do every quest in a region, sure you will be overleveled. But OTOH, if you just do enough quests to get the deed (which is what I usually do), you won't, even with the VIP bonus. Even doing a few more.

For instance, I just finished Forochel and hit 50. Did I do every quest? No, but I did quite a lot.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Characters from the original, Shadows of Angmar will find stuff gets face rolled. We played a different LotRO where deed traits were part of our balance. Having compassion and charity and pretty much all of them to 10 is normal. A full suite of racial traits, will anything but full blue crit, Guild crafted gear do?

Now be a new guy with no deed traits or deed traits to 3, a mixed bag of Racial and whatever they gave you for quest rewards as Gear. It won't be the face roll anymore.

I like the fact that I can steamroll stuff. So many games OCD on "hard" and I miss the good old days of being OP every now and then. Feels good to stomp stuff like a boss.

Originally posted by Po_gg

Actually there is, above +5 levels (red) you miss a lot, you can't crit, and you deal pretty low damage. Above +8 levels (purple) you barely even hit the mob and the aggro range gets extended, you literally aggroing mobs from a mile away. It's pretty fun, I must admit.

And with the boosted xp rates you can't easily find orange / red content unless you skip a lot of quests, with which you also skip a lot of great stories, and basically breakig your own leveling fun with jumping around and disregarding the world.

And as it was stated numerous times both here and the official forums as well, the "too easy? go and solo the group content then" is not a very decent answer, it only shows the (lack of) dev cpabilities. What's next, ""too easy? play blindfolded, then it's hard" ?  lol.

(not a perfect example, back in the days there was a competition to play Pinball with switched off monitor, just by the sounds... loved it :) )

I solved this by spending 280 TP for an item that you can equip in your pocket and prevents you from gaining XP as long as its equiped, its also reuiquipable..  

I am now level 82 and ever since level 20 i kept all my quests atleast +4 levels above me... and it was quite challenging

And not having those bonusses offcourse is part of making it challenging...  you cant have an uber powerfull character, and still have challenging content.

• VoicekrackVoicekrack Member UncommonPosts: 23
    You need to buy expansions to level further from certain points? That sounds pretty lame. I was thinking of getting this game...
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Originally posted by Voicekrack
    You need to buy expansions to level further from certain points? That sounds pretty lame. I was thinking of getting this game...

No. Access to every region is free. Epic quests are free (up to Helm's Deep). In short, you can travel where you want and kill whatever stuff you want.

However, in order to be able to use regional quests/deeds you will need purchase this region. Prices vary from some 695 to 4295, depending on type (Quest pack/expansion).  So, if you don't want to - you may live without spending single Turbine point for a region.

I solved this by spending 280 TP for an item that you can equip in your pocket and prevents you from gaining XP as long as its equiped, its also reuiquipable.. 

I'm familiar with the turtle pebble, I even posted here the SLOWME coupon code when it was on sale :)

We're talking about two different things... The game was easified. That's a fact. For that it's not a right answer the "but with specific rules and procedures you can make the game harder for yourself". Since that applies pretty much any activities you can come up, sport, games, anything.

(not to mention the whole playerbase was literally begged for an xp disabler option since years, way before they boosted the xp rates...)

Worths noting that there are much better, game-fitting selfmade rulesets to make the content more enjoyable, beyond the turtle pebble and simply chasing red mobs. I loved this one for example: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?448003-Total-Immersion-The-Road-Goes-Ever-On-A-Hobbit-s-Tale  (I almost rolled a character on Crickhollow just to check his adventures in person :) )

Originally posted by Po_gg

I'm familiar with the turtle pebble, I even posted here the SLOWME coupon code when it was on sale :)

We're talking about two different things... The game was easified. That's a fact. For that it's not a right answer the "but with specific rules and procedures you can make the game harder for yourself". Since that applies pretty much any activities you can come up, sport, games, anything.

(not to mention the whole playerbase was literally begged for an xp disabler option since years, way before they boosted the xp rates...)

Worths noting that there are much better, game-fitting selfmade rulesets to make the content more enjoyable, beyond the turtle pebble and simply chasing red mobs. I loved this one for example: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?448003-Total-Immersion-The-Road-Goes-Ever-On-A-Hobbit-s-Tale  (I almost rolled a character on Crickhollow just to check his adventures in person :) )

Well actually its not that different from my ingame attitude....  I rolplay a lot, take time for the content the game offers me and what kinmates and other players offer me..    I have done lots of the grouping content while i was on the right level and played together with alts in our kin of the same level...  It was quite enjoyable..  I agree with you there is much more to having fun then fighting red mobs, and with the right mindset it can be done in lotro....

currently i have over 500 hours on my character and its almost level 85...  One more expansion of stories and content to go..i think i spend   70 dollar so far, and got everything i need to play all the content and have fun...  Basically thats just over 10 cents/ hour...

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Yeah I keep going back to this game.  I had thought about doing VP but already bought most of the stuff when it was on sale etc. so there is not as much point.  I play the game slow and for fun. 

It has been awhile since I last played so I started over.  Honestly I don't see the huge difference in the skill changes either.  You can have multiple sets and swap them out.

Definately keep an eye out for sales!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

If you do every quest in a region, sure you will be overleveled. But OTOH, if you just do enough quests to get the deed (which is what I usually do), you won't, even with the VIP bonus. Even doing a few more.

For instance, I just finished Forochel and hit 50. Did I do every quest? No, but I did quite a lot.

....and this is the point so many people miss. There is way more content available than you need to level a character. If you try and complete everything, you WILL be way over levelled for the content at any given time and it WILLbe ridiculously easy. The answer is simply to pick and choose which content to use in order to be levelling on content you're happy is challenging enough for yourself. It's not rocket science.

Personally, I do every story quest and most of the normal quests in each region until everything is green to me and then I move on. Some people would no doubt find that too easy but I love being able to take on five enemies at once. I'd rather that than be dying all the time trying to kill one or two red mobs. It's just down to personal choice, not a fault with the game.

That was always the case since the beginning. The difference is that you need to skip always more and more quests if you don't want to seriously overlevel the content, and this trend only accelerated in the last 2 years...

Back then, during your 1-50 way you skipped 2 areas in Eriador while following the book line (after Mirkwood launch maybe 3 if you liked the skirmishes and got xp from those).

Nowadays, if you do the book quests, then it's: starter zone, Bree west, Lone Lands, Evendim, Angmar, and you're above 50 already, so you need to skip quests even in those regions as well, if you want to stay on-level.

(or North Downs and Forochel, or Evendim, Misty and some dabbling into Eregion, etc. - the point is you need to skip more than half of the area. And it's without skirmishes and crafting.)

The problem is, you have to be familiar with the game, and have to have at least one playthrough behind you to use the turtle pebble or the quest skipping method effectively. A newcomer is seeing only either "lol, it's so f-ing easy" or spamming "where should I go next if I'm level xx?" (and with it breaking his/her own experience due to skipped / uncompleted quests and stories)