Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: What's a Level 90 Worth To You?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to several tips, World of Warcraft players are receiving an email survey from Blizzard Entertainment. In it, they ask players what they feel is a worthwhile pricetag for an instant level 90 character in addition to survey how much players feel about a variety of prices for the expansion itself.

Via: Polygon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sounds like they will offer the service for people who do not buy the expansion too. Makes sense.

This have been a good conversation

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

I'd definitely pay to boost my characters to 90, after I've done the leveling content a dozen times now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the leveling experience - the first few times. Now it feels a little like a chore.

I'd happily pay £20 for a level 90 character.

Don't judge what I, or others, want to spend our money on. Judge yourselves.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It takes me months to do what a lot of people do in a couple days. Though I have had my fun leveling alts, I would give $10 for a 90 of my choice, or as many as I want. The caveat is that for me to spend that money I would have to be playing and want to continue playing wow. Even though I love the game, I don't have any desire to play it on a regular basis as I used to. I don't play anything on a regular basis anymore come to think of it.
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    It is worth nothing to me, but the free 90 will probably be a worth a boxsale and a months subscription to Blizzard- just to check things out again after many years.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Originally posted by Malacth

I'd definitely pay to boost my characters to 90, after I've done the leveling content a dozen times now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the leveling experience - the first few times. Now it feels a little like a chore.

For additional 20 $ you can buy Achievements

for additional 20 $ you can buy top HEROIC RAID GEAR

for additional 20 $ Blizzards staff will play instead of you    ( because you're a very very busy person )

for additional 20 $ you can  acquire head shot skill that can kill tank BLOOD DK in 1 hit ( only today for 20 bucks you have chance to become top PVP player don't miss your opportunity )

• HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80

bout treefiddy

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

People have a right to voice concern. It is indeed annoying for someone to have grinded out several max-level characters, yet to watch some goof max out the best flavor of the month in an instance.

I personally don't have a problem with this. What I do have a problem with is when companies offer XP pots / real-money auction houses etc.

There are more "pure / legit" gamers than there are "quick payers". The quick payers kill it for everyone.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I'm mixed. EQ2 did this with an instant level 85, played it for a few hours and stopped thinking why am I doing this? I have no idea how to play this char. Albeit, with WoW, I've played most of the content to 90, I still have the most fun questing, even if I've done it many times. I'll give it a shot with a class I haven't tried yet but don't expect to keep at it. We'll see.

That is the way I felt when I used the free boost on my EQ2. I just never felt comfortable jumping into a high lvl class I had never played before.

There is no denying that being able to buy your way to max lvl is appealing, it is a bit of an anticlimax once you jump into that character though and I'm sure that Pugs will be even more fraught with drama if (when) this service goes live.

Now if only Blizzard could do something about the journey from 1 to max so that players would enjoy the journey again, rather than feeling it was a chore to be endured. If Blizzard could somehow make each re-roll unique then they would be onto a winner, but I'm sure that would be one hell of an innovative leap forward for the genre.

Originally posted by Dauzqul

People have a right to voice concern. It is indeed annoying for someone to have grinded out several max-level characters, yet to watch some goof max out the best flavor of the month in an instance.

I personally don't have a problem with this. What I do have a problem with is when companies offer XP pots / real-money auction houses etc.

There are more "pure / legit" gamers than there are "quick payers". The quick payers kill it for everyone.

I would agree with the concern on many other games, but with WOW most people have played it at some point or other and simply don't want to go through the grind again.  It is recapturing old players.  

I have two wow accounts which are lost in the mists of time, and I would imagine they are entirely unrecoverable now as my details have changed so many times since (addresses/ e-mail accounts etc).  

I would not even consider playing this game again if I had to level all the way through old content, particularly given that I can no longer even enjoy the nostalgia of vanilla wow after they ruined it.  

Giving away a free level 90 will get me to buy the box and sub again just out of curiosity.  I do have one caveate to that in that I wish they would allow you to pick your level because I would probably choose 70 or 80 in that event as my starting point.    

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

If your opinion was true there would be much less f2p in this world but since it's just an opinion and can easily be proven wrong (looking at the current scope of mmos) I guess you can have a pass.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    ??? I thought the max level was 60!
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I'm mixed. EQ2 did this with an instant level 85, played it for a few hours and stopped thinking why am I doing this? I have no idea how to play this char. Albeit, with WoW, I've played most of the content to 90, I still have the most fun questing, even if I've done it many times. I'll give it a shot with a class I haven't tried yet but don't expect to keep at it. We'll see.

Now, I don't agree with the idea that purchasing insta-characters in a cash shop is appropriate and I was fine with the one time 90 boost for the xpac.

But the above reasoning bothers me every time I hear it. How is it possible to spend "a few hours" with a new character and not know how to play it?

Put me in any MMO with any max level character and I will know how to play it within 15-30 minutes easily.  (EVE being the sole exception because you don't learn a class in EVE, you learn the game)

GW2 gives you max level pvp characters on demand. It's funny that GW2 players aren't crying to ANET because they aren't able to learn to play with them.

I will admit that some players (a lot actually) are so bad that they essentially never learn how to play any class, but that wouldn't change with 100 years of leveling, they're just bad.

I wonder what the Power-lvling businesses will think about this move?

If Blizzards service is cheap enough it will have an impact.

Originally posted by Rusque

Now, I don't agree with the idea that purchasing insta-characters in a cash shop is appropriate and I was fine with the one time 90 boost for the xpac.

But the above reasoning bothers me every time I hear it. How is it possible to spend "a few hours" with a new character and not know how to play it?

Put me in any MMO with any max level character and I will know how to play it within 15-30 minutes easily.  (EVE being the sole exception because you don't learn a class in EVE, you learn the game)

GW2 gives you max level pvp characters on demand. It's funny that GW2 players aren't crying to ANET because they aren't able to learn to play with them.

I will admit that some players (a lot actually) are so bad that they essentially never learn how to play any class, but that wouldn't change with 100 years of leveling, they're just bad.

Problem is your comparing a game that has far fewer active abilities. In EQ2 my main character had 7 Hotbars full of abilities, in GW2 my main had 1, even when I went into a lvl 80 area it was the exact same abilities that I had in the lvl 1 to 5 areas.

I'm sure there are some that are able to jump into a different class at max lvl and understand all of the various combinations required to get the most out of your character, all of the various points that have to be dispersed to ensure you are fighting at your very best.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I think the wanted price tag gets heavier the more times you've leveled a char from 1 to max ;)

I've maxed (in Cata) 3 characters from 1st level and I can say the third one was already feeling more like a chore than an enjoyment.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

i quit this game years   ago have no desire to go back and i do not like this idea i  think oh wow got all these noobs running around asking a million questions never doing the work i have  7  or 8 80s i got to a point i could lv a 80 at that time in 2 weeks  to 2 and a half weeks now i new how to play my class and  now  jesus the games going down hill 

I agree.  I have never understood this argument that mmo's are so complex people cannot possibly know how to play unless they have spent many hours levelling.  This is clearly nonsense, why does it get repeated so often?  

As you said, spend 30 minutes with a toon and you will understand it, if you don't have a little look on google and you will know all you need to.  

I think when people say this they make the following mistake: - there are many people who play casually and aren't fussed about creating every macro and getting every little piece of equipment and following every rotation to the letter in order to max their output.  It is not that they are more stupid than you, it is that they don' really care enough to learn. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

Problem is your comparing a game that has far fewer active abilities. In EQ2 my main character had 7 Hotbars full of abilities, in GW2 my main had 1, even when I went into a lvl 80 area it was the exact same abilities that I had in the lvl 1 to 5 areas.

I'm sure there are some that are able to jump into a different class at max lvl and understand all of the various combinations required to get the most out of your character, all of the various points that have to be dispersed to ensure you are fighting at your very best.

Sheldon Cooper and I are disappointed in any gamer who can't read their abilities and put 2 and 2 together.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

for additional 20 $ Blizzards staff will play instead of you    ( because you're a very very busy person )

for additional 20 $ you can  acquire head shot skill that can kill tank BLOOD DK in 1 hit ( only today for 20 bucks you have chance to become top PVP player don't miss your opportunity )

Isn't this the 'slippery slope' fallacy?  I didn't see anything in there about buying heroic raid gear, blizzard staff playing for you, or insta kill skills.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this sort of jump to the extremes when games offer something like this is the exact same thing that politicians always do.

Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

Isn't this the 'slippery slope' fallacy?  I didn't see anything in there about buying heroic raid gear, blizzard staff playing for you, or insta kill skills.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but this sort of jump to the extremes when games offer something like this is the exact same thing that politicians always do.

It would also be non-sensical.   Allowing returning players to skip the grind will facilitate their return.  

Allowing players to buy end game gear will only result in them unsubscribing and leaving since there will be no reason to stay.  

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    5-10 dollars, no more.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

I am just confused. Why would people pay...

1. to Skip Content

I constantly see people preaching about how much content WoW has, yet it seems people simply want to skip all of it.

2. Cataclysm

I thought I remember people already paying for an expansion that was supposed to make early content more enjoyable.  It seems this failed and maybe Blizzard needs to re-design and balance the early content to be as enjoyable as the rest.  Its not as if people didnt give them a chunk of change to do this.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'd definitely pay to boost my characters to 90, after I've done the leveling content a dozen times now.   Don't get me wrong, I loved the leveling experience - the first few times. Now it feels a little like a chore.   I'd happily pay £20 for a level 90 character.   Don't judge what I, or others, want to spend our money on. Judge yourselves.

Let me start by saying that I would never use this service if it were to be offered. I don't care about being top level in a game. I've been playing wwow on and off since release and my highest character is 88 lol. That being said... Why would anyone care how someone else plays the game? Seriously? How does it effect you? Don't give me the " people who use the service won't know how to play the character in groups" nonsense, cause there are 90s now who leveled their own character and still aren't good in groups. Let people do what makes them happy and worry about your own shit. Good god.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

during the period of WOTLK

i had over 30 characters that were level capped at 80 on several servers

I disliked Cata so much that despite having an army of 80s, I only have -one- 85

I'd pay to skip Cata for my existing 80s

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Let's just take away levels and start with your character fully developed. Then you can just run instances only. Have that be the game. Why have anyone do anything that resembles actually playing the game?

And gold? Hell, just buy it. Why would anyone care how someone else plays the game? Just go right ahead.