Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: McQuaid Makes Us Wonder: Who Is that Burly Man?

Comments

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    It's too brown!
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Somebody please tell the artist that the name 'broadsword' isn't supposed to be taken literally...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Somebody please tell the artist that the name 'broadsword' isn't supposed to be taken literally...

It is not a Broadsword.......it's a Brad-Sword :)

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I thought it was really funny when Brad McQuaid came on the forums before the Vanguard Release and was pretty much making drunken posts.

The faults of Vanguard were simple. Brad McQuaid lacked the managerial skills necessary in creating a well-developed MMO. Entire game was scrapped and redeveloped in two years. When it came time to reduce the company, they took an approach similar to other San Diego MMO development companies. Kept all the friends, dropped everyone else. Even if the friends category lacked the actual talent.

Where do people come up with this crap? The entire game was scrapped and redeveloped huh?

I followed that game since development, played the first day it was released and for the next 8 months after that.  So i have a little bit of basis for knowledge here.

I'm going to quote some choice bits here from wikipedia, just for your sake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

"The game was released on January 30, 2007, with an early access date of January 26, 2007 for pre-order customers. On May 15, 2007, it was announced in a press release that Sony Online Entertainment had completed a transaction to purchase key assets of Sigil Games Online, including all rights to Vanguard."

"Following the acquisition by SOE, the developers mainly focused on bug fixes and gameplay improvements for a long time."

"On May 15, 2007, four months after the game's release, Sony Online Entertainment announced they had acquired all assets of Sigil and retained much of the Vanguard development team to work for Sony and to continue developing Vanguard."

The game absolutely was borked on release, no one is questioning that.  But this idea that sony somehow did a 180 on everything mcquaid had done on the game is patently false, and is just more absurd internet bullshit that gets thrown around as truth.

Brad had actually posted a 4 part essay on his website a while back about how and where HE screwed up and what they all did wrong in regards to development, to anyone who played the game at release and in the months after, everything he said was absolutely true and you could see it in the game.  He took a healthy portion of the blame, but it wasnt all his fault either. The issue was they basically "dreamed too big".  They had far too much shit they wanted in the game and didnt know how or where to reign it back in, etc.  Basically you had this huge awesome world that only had about 30% of the content it needed, and then you had a buggy, extremely buggy engine that even on powerful systems ran like ass. Combine that with suits that basically just wanted to force the game out before the newest WOW expansion so they could try to recoup whatever money they could from box sales and guess what, you have a game thats buggy and incomplete on release.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to defend it and say it wasnt a royal screwup, even Brad admitted that and put the majority of the blame on himself.  But i'm getting particularly tired of this idea that Brad McQuaid is the devil incarnate and is the poster child for incompetence in gaming development, its just absurd.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

I thought it was really funny when Brad McQuaid came on the forums before the Vanguard Release and was pretty much making drunken posts.

The faults of Vanguard were simple. Brad McQuaid lacked the managerial skills necessary in creating a well-developed MMO. Entire game was scrapped and redeveloped in two years. When it came time to reduce the company, they took an approach similar to other San Diego MMO development companies. Kept all the friends, dropped everyone else. Even if the friends category lacked the actual talent.

good thing you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about.

Source?  10 year career at SCE.  People ask why I never post here, because its a fucking cess pool of misinformation and people like this fella here... have no clue what he is talking about, never worked for or designed a game in his life but all the sudden knows everything that goes into it.

Just curious, how many games have you produced?

Thank you for coming in and saying this.  Getting sick of the armchair BS getting thrown around regarding him and more specifically that game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Brad had actually posted a 4 part essay on his website a while back about how and where HE screwed up and what they all did wrong in regards to development, to anyone who played the game at release and in the months after, everything he said was absolutely true and you could see it in the game.  He took a healthy portion of the blame, but it wasnt all his fault either. The issue was they basically "dreamed too big".  They had far too much shit they wanted in the game and didnt know how or where to reign it back in, etc.  Basically you had this huge awesome world that only had about 30% of the content it needed, and then you had a buggy, extremely buggy engine that even on powerful systems ran like ass. Combine that with suits that basically just wanted to force the game out before the newest WOW expansion so they could try to recoup whatever money they could from box sales and guess what, you have a game thats buggy and incomplete on release.

I was Vanguard number one fanboy, at least on this site, I was in Beta for many months and followed the whole drama since the beginning,  I can confirm that is pretty accurate statement.

Brad was the biggest culcript of course, since he was the CEO and Executive Producer so he has to take all the blame.

I think the biggest mistake they made was to ask Microsoft to Publish the game, if there is a Publisher that follows deadlines religiously that is Microsoft (and EA)

The fact that Microsoft was pushing Sigil to release the game though it was just 50% done was a major cause of stress that Mcquaid could not take, and from then on he lost completely the plot. My opinion is that Microsoft didn't like the game concept at all so they were trying to find any excuse to drop it.

When SoE bought Vanguard from Sigil they just fixed bugs and optimized the engine............... even today they added very little content to the original game. In that sense I believe that it is true that Vanguard map was way too huge to fill it with meaninful content so SoE just gave up and left the game as it was.

Having said that Brad Mcquaid is one of the few developers that understand how MMORPGs should be done.

If he has enough money and enough time, he could make something truly outstanding.

There is a big untapped market for the kind of games Brads wants to make, I am still waiting for the real successor of EQ, and the only person that can make it happen is Brad McQuaid (with all his flaws).

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

Brad, make another EQ or VG and I will pay thousands on your kickstarter. In my gaming circle of about 100, we have had the discussion of just what we would pay for an EQ(before PoP) with modern graphics and we all agree.... we would pay upwards of 50 a month with hundreds for the box price.

We have all payed thousands to Star Citizen and would not hesitate to spend the same on a real EQ sequel.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by DMKano

Where do people come up with this crap? The entire game was scrapped and redeveloped huh?

I followed that game since development, played the first day it was released and for the next 8 months after that.  So i have a little bit of basis for knowledge here.

I'm going to quote some choice bits here from wikipedia, just for your sake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

"The game was released on January 30, 2007, with an early access date of January 26, 2007 for pre-order customers. On May 15, 2007, it was announced in a press release that Sony Online Entertainment had completed a transaction to purchase key assets of Sigil Games Online, including all rights to Vanguard."

"Following the acquisition by SOE, the developers mainly focused on bug fixes and gameplay improvements for a long time."

"On May 15, 2007, four months after the game's release, Sony Online Entertainment announced they had acquired all assets of Sigil and retained much of the Vanguard development team to work for Sony and to continue developing Vanguard."

The game absolutely was borked on release, no one is questioning that.  But this idea that sony somehow did a 180 on everything mcquaid had done on the game is patently false, and is just more absurd internet bullshit that gets thrown around as truth.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to defend it and say it wasnt a royal screwup, even Brad admitted that and put the majority of the blame on himself.  But i'm getting particularly tired of this idea that Brad McQuaid is the devil incarnate and is the poster child for incompetence in gaming development, its just absurd.

This is spot on. 

I played VG for a year and a half since launch and have followed the game closely for a long time prior to release.

Sometimes people just spread 100% misinformation, happens a lot here.

Big deal, you played VG and that is the basis for your assertions?  Cleffy nailed it.  So many of you people wear blinders and ignore the obvious.  This guy is a disaster waiting to happen.  Sure he has great ideas, but the implementation of such never comes out right.  I have some personal friends that worked for him.  You should hear the tales they tell, bad decision after bad decision and he would not listen to any advice, he knew better.   He took the money and ran, leaving his staff holding the bag.

Now he wants to do it all over again and you think that will work out well.  People never change their stripes.

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by railshot
    Originally posted by nttajira

Frosty frenzy, white.....

He talks about the ''white stuff'' he will buy and sniff if people start to funds this game??

If people really funds this game with this man behind the game... Lost faith in humanity....

Well was saying the same shit before xbox one release.... How many people got the console again??!!

Maybe you should lay off the white stuff as well. Hurts my eyes trying to read that,

Lol.  I don't have a problem with people not wanting to contribute to Brad's kickstarter, soI don't understand why anyone would care if you do want to contribute to the kickstarter.   It's just pocket change or maybe a little bit more, it's not millions of dollars.  Who knows, maybe being forced to do the game on the cheap will result in a small fun game.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I'm going to donate money to this project just for the sole purpose of annoying all the haters out there.

I particularly love the people complaining about the sword being "too big".  I wonder how many of you played WOW?

how would that annoy us? all it does is make us laugh at you for throwing your money away

also  most mmo gamers here are too edgy cool to play wow

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

When talking about forums,people were far too rude with Brad and were NOT helping to support the game,instead it seemed like they just wanted to argue with Brad and make a scene.

Vanguard was a REALLY good game even with bugs.I have long lived by a simple concept,i would rather a bug ridden great game than a fully polished pile of crap.

At this point however we have had enough of those older ideas,Brad would NEED to change there is just too many games all doing the same thing now.

I am sort of skeptical as to weather Brad could be completely creative and design a game with a different approach.I do not think we want to see another EQ or EQ2 or WOw and please god NO MORE yellow markers over npc heads.

I noticed Skyfen has some relevance in LOL,i hope he is not thinking of copying a Moba type game or anything like LOL?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Its Oranthel the king of Burgers! That sword of his sure is a whopper...

Oh Brad, mama warned me about men like you. How do you keep roping me in?

Originally posted by Wizardry

I am sort of skeptical as to weather Brad could be completely creative and design a game with a different approach.I do not think we want to see another EQ or EQ2 or WOw and please god NO MORE yellow markers over npc heads.

Well he says he's going back to the future which means no quest grind, no question marks.  Also he just won't have the money to put in 1,000 quests like in WoW or VG.  But yes it would be nice to see a few innovations over EQ such as mounted combat or dynamic mobs (EQN).

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Ugh, more over the top, unrealistic cartoonish graphics? Vanguard and LotRO's art style was fucking great, can we have more of that?
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by jagd241
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well he says he's going back to the future which means no quest grind, no question marks.  Also he just won't have the money to put in 1,000 quests like in WoW or VG.  But yes it would be nice to see a few innovations over EQ such as mounted combat or dynamic mobs (EQN).

Well, considering Vanguard had probably more innovations than the entire AAA MMORPG genre combined in the last 8 years, I wouldn't count him out on going above and beyond.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

Thats a really cool Snowboard hes got there though.

Oh..wait. Thats supposed to be a sword. NM

This. Alas.

The reality is, that the EQ1 model is gone. It never appealed to a broad audience. I recall clearly when EQ1 was new, I could never ever imagine to play such games as EQ1 back then, because the concept was as ridiculous to me 1999 as it is today. Eq1 was more a job than a game. NO THANKS and good riddance.

Vanguard was an anachronism. It tried to re-evoke the EQ1 idea, and they didn't realize that the time for such hardships were past and WONT come back. Sorry, but I just dont see EQ or Vanguard as the "good old time". I hated Vanguard back then, and I am long enough on this forum to have my history with Vanguard. I still have the same opinion about this sort of MMos I had 6 years ago, and I had 15 years ago with EQ. It's a diresome hardship which simply is no fun for me. Never was, never will be.

That said, yes SOME things ARE too easy/simplistic in MMos today. No doubt. But anyone who wishes Brad McQuaid makes another Vanguard must be deluded.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by UtukuMoon
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Seriously, anyone giving money to this man deserves to lose it.

Seriously why would you care? Don't want to back it then don't lol. People on this site  have to much to say about what others do with their own cash.

I loved Vanilla EQ and Vanguard even with it's faults, i'll give Brad another chance depending on what he shows me.

This

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Elikal

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

This. Alas.

The reality is, that the EQ1 model is gone. It never appealed to a broad audience. I recall clearly when EQ1 was new, I could never ever imagine to play such games as EQ1 back then, because the concept was as ridiculous to me 1999 as it is today. Eq1 was more a job than a game. NO THANKS and good riddance.

Vanguard was an anachronism. It tried to re-evoke the EQ1 idea, and they didn't realize that the time for such hardships were past and WONT come back. Sorry, but I just dont see EQ or Vanguard as the "good old time". I hated Vanguard back then, and I am long enough on this forum to have my history with Vanguard. I still have the same opinion about this sort of MMos I had 6 years ago, and I had 15 years ago with EQ. It's a diresome hardship which simply is no fun for me. Never was, never will be.

That said, yes SOME things ARE too easy/simplistic in MMos today. No doubt. But anyone who wishes Brad McQuaid makes another Vanguard must be deluded.

Brad had already hinted that its going to be a niche game. Games that appeal to a broad audience end up being too casual and not focused. They cant be the best at everything just OK at a lot of things. He knows his target audience and that's all that matters for now. I will definitely be supporting his game. I just hope it's truly is an EQ/Vanguard successor as they are some of the best games I've played. Hell been playing p99 EQ for months now and its just as fun as back in the day. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

This. Alas.

I must be REALLY deluded!

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

This. Alas.

Funny!

If you take everything you just said and you turn it into loving it instead of disliking it then you will get how I feel. :)

It's a lucky thing that we're all different. I want Brad to make a Vanguard 2 but I have doubts that he will pull it off. We all know what happend the first time, luckily we did get a game because of SOE. I guess we just gonna have to wait and see. 

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

Brad had already hinted that its going to be a niche game. Games that appeal to a broad audience end up being too casual and not focused. They cant be the best at everything just OK at a lot of things. He knows his target audience and that's all that matters for now. I will definitely be supporting his game. I just hope it's truly is an EQ/Vanguard successor as they are some of the best games I've played. Hell been playing p99 EQ for months now and its just as fun as back in the day. 

Exactly this.  Bring on the niche MMO!

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    My first thought was this was an ad for Burger King.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

It is not a Broadsword.......it's a Brad-Sword :)

No it's a Bro-Sword.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Brad wasn't even in the office 90% of the time during Vangaurd. We are just supposed to take on good faith that he'll actually try this time?
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    McQuaid made one good game when MMO's were new and fresh, after which he thought of himself as the god of the genre.  Vanguard showed just how wrong he was.  Has everyone forgotten how he bad mouthed all the other competing games that were being made at the same time?  I bet FC haven't stopped laughing yet that SoE had to bail out his wreck of a game.  Myself I wouldn't touch anything that McQuaid has a hand in until it has been proven solid, polished and a worthwhile investment of my money and time.