Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth or not?

bensmbensm Member Posts: 39

I've been looking for a mmo to play for quite a while...I can't even remember the last mmo that kept me interested for a very long time.

Then as i was re playing for the 1000th time ff10 alongside 9,8,7,6 it hit me: FF14 ARR 

I heard about the disaster of the original ff14 but it didnt sadden me that much because i didnt intend to buy it either way at the time. 

But now i'm here wondering and watching videos and streams about the game without being able to try it first.

I dont like to throw money around since im not 18 yet(still 17.5) and so i cant get a job and have to rely on xmas money and bday :)

So mmorpg.com im asking you all is it worth buying the game since im such a FAN of the IP and also like the mmorpg genre?

I understand it doesnt bring anything new to the table in terms of combat but still...It mightt keep me more interested than in WoW because i like this IP so much more than wc

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    There's a thread right below this one titled "This Game Worth Trying?" with 19 replies already. Might wanna read through that.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

It is worth trying it, a very polished game with a clear targeted playerbase. You should play it, if:

1. Endgame raiding and a deep crafting system are the most important things in an MMO for you.

2. You do not really care about the leveling process, innovative quests, a big open explorable world or pvp.

3. You prefer good old fighting mechanics with trinity over action oriented combat without clear roles.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• bensmbensm Member Posts: 39
    Yes i underestand some of you might be tired of seeing these threads but as i said before, i'm not fond of wasting $$$ so i want to make sure you understand my prespective on the game and if it might suit me.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I am too a huge fan of final fantasy series and this game has me hooked.  I think the combat system is perfect as a final fantasy game.  The game is filled with nostalgia for the fans too.  The combat speed does get faster as you get more gear with Skill Speed+ stats. I think its got a great story and not just the main story but the class stories and side stories like the Hildibrand story is great too filled with many cool characters that you would usually find in a final fantasy game, both good guys and bad.

There's lots of content for both solo and group, crafting is very involving and fun imo, and the community is very nice and helpful.  You wont be thinking the combat is slow once you get a taste of the later boss fights especially bosses like Titan Hard Mode.  Because in a lot of end game boss fights I always think damn thats a lot of work for this boss, and im only dps cant imagine how it feels to be tank and healer.  As any final fantasy game teamwork between characters is very important in this game.

Oh and did i mention there are behemoth mounts.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

...wow

By the way are the EU and NA servers merged. And if not, as a guy who despises empty mmo servers/games whats the best server for an EU player?

And how is the lag in EU?

And is this a grindfest or do the FATE  events clear that out?

And is it easy to get a group for a dungeon?(*cough* WoW dungeon finder *cough*)

Originally posted by bensm
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

...wow

By the way are the EU and NA servers merged. And if not, as a guy who despises empty mmo servers/games whats the best server for an EU player?

And how is the lag in EU?

And is this a grindfest or do the FATE  events clear that out?

And is it easy to get a group for a dungeon?(*cough* WoW dungeon finder *cough*)

this should give you an idea of server population...http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/fascinating-ffxiv-population-census.8611/

As I leveled to 50 personally it never felt like a grind to me since I gained experience points many ways, like doing fates when I run into them while im questing and doing the occasional leve and guild hests.  And you also gain lots of experience points in dungeons.  At end game though you will be gear grinding and doing daily quests.  There are some solo quests at end game that usually lead to a raid like Crystal Tower.

Usually it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get into a group because they pretty much perfected the dungeon finder system.  In this its called Duty Finder.  They also have something called Party Finder where you can be more specific in the type of group you want and people invite them self in it if they meet the requirement for your party which is usually used for things like Raids and extreme modes for the primal fights.  Even as low level players you wont find it difficult to find a party because in the Duty Finder they added something called Duty Roulette which gives end game players special currency once per day for doing a random dungeon even for low level dungeons.  And their level gets scaled down for the low level dungeons.

Heres an explanation from the devs on how the duty finder works

Here is a list of all the things they added in their most recent update

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03843d6bf7ba69adc37d7955ff7af43f3c43828a

The Treasure Hunting is pretty nice for gatherers.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

FF14 is a very cerebral mmo, in my opinion.  

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

Worth.

I quit subbing because I can't sub during the holiday months (broke as fuck!!) but ill be back as soon as the money comes back.

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I've been looking for a mmo to play for quite a while...I can't even remember the last mmo that kept me interested for a very long time.

Then as i was re playing for the 1000th time ff10 alongside 9,8,7,6 it hit me: FF14 ARR 

I heard about the disaster of the original ff14 but it didnt sadden me that much because i didnt intend to buy it either way at the time. 

But now i'm here wondering and watching videos and streams about the game without being able to try it first.

I dont like to throw money around since im not 18 yet(still 17.5) and so i cant get a job and have to rely on xmas money and bday :)

So mmorpg.com im asking you all is it worth buying the game since im such a FAN of the IP and also like the mmorpg genre?

I understand it doesnt bring anything new to the table in terms of combat but still...It mightt keep me more interested than in WoW because i like this IP so much more than wc

Short answer... Yes!

This is a personal vote though because I am also a Final Fantasy fan and an MMO fan. As a fan you will feel like that the story to the game is a worthy addition to the final fantasy franchise. I am absolutely loving it and all the characters and they are continuing it with every patch which is aiming to be 3 months in between. 

Now, a lot of people do have niggles and issues with the game, which is more on a personal level. Myself, not had that issue. Many people robbed themselves of the experience with the good old fashioned 'New MMO fever' to which everyone vies for end game as quick as possible and over looks all the beauty with the story and characters. I enjoy the quests also. 

There is some voice acting in the game, but most of it is traditional final fantasy text balloons. You'll feel right back at home and in honest after this patch 2.1 it would be a lot easier for you to get back into the game and level up your first class/job. Mainly because experience is a little easier to obtain and you'll get into dungeons easier. 

Before this duty roulette system as a dps I would wait 40 mins before getting into a dungeon, now I wait 8-15 mins. As a tank and healer I get in near instant. 

My advice to you would be, join the game, play and go at your own pace and fight the urge to rush through the content (it isn't going anywhere). Join an active FC and make some friends. Once you get to the end game, you'll have plenty to get involved with. 

Now, I got this game pretty much as soon as it came out and there has already been quite a bit added to it to keep me busy. I have been playing with a friend and taking our time, a couple of hours every day apart from sunday which we spend most of our day in the game (we both have work and families). I am presently going through the motions of end game with my Bard, my Paladin I stopped at 50 and with the relic quest. 

If you are looking to know what kind of content is available with every patch the check this out http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03843d6bf7ba69adc37d7955ff7af43f3c43828a for the amount of content added. This will be every 3 months as well! Some people are like "meh" with this, but I loved it as it wasn't just 'end game' content, there was a little bit of love in there for everyone. I am a questing kinda man myself and the Hildibrand quests are worth the sub alone. 

I have sung the games praises enough, get in and play!

Originally posted by WellzyC

what do you mean?

Ok thank you for all of your support! I think that by now im pretty set on the idea of buying the game which is what im going to do first thing in the morning. And as an european player which server should i choose (community and playerbase wise)
    Originally posted by WellzyC

what do you mean?

End game fights require a lot of coordination and strategy in groups.  Even some of the mid level dungeon bosses.

Ok thank you for all of your support! I think that by now im pretty set on the idea of buying the game which is what im going to do first thing in the morning. And as an european player which server should i choose (community and playerbase wise)

moogle or cerberus

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

People tend to pick a data center that is closest to them, myself I am from the UK and I picked Coerul, not because its closer but because I work late and night shifts, so as an american based server most people are playing when I am. Otherwise I'd get on and the Eu and fellow brits would be asleep. 

Things to consider really. If confused, when you pick the data center it will ask which one you want to come on to and it will instruct you through the process (either eu, na or jp) then you just pick the server and typically they are all as busy as each other really. 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

I'll be resubbing as soon as my financial situation improves. LOTRO is fun and all, but I miss my monk & the meaningful crafting. Hopefully by the time I can resub they'll have individual housing added as well.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, my answer is yes. I think the game is still on sale for $15 on some sites as well.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic