Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I "dreamt" of SWG Pre-CU

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I "dreamt" I was in Pre-CU SWG a few months back.

And when I was there, in my dream, I was initially cheerful.  I redid my character, head to toe, just like it once was...

...and I started in Tatooine, just as I once did.  The initial levels were great; in my dream, it was just like I remembered it.  There were new people, and I was thrilled.

But...things just weren't right.

I'd go to the cantina.  AFK had degenerated entertainment to levels unseen of at the height of the Holocrons.  Not only were dancers and musicians scattered everywhere on the floor in big piles, but you couldn't even hear a song without having to turn off your speakers.  Nobody seemed to care about matching the song; it seemed as every person in the place--and every player game wide--just "accepted" the fact that every musician was going to play their highest song to max out their character's XP, whether it sounded like crap or not.

Things got worse when I went looking for a group.  Nobody grouped anymore.  Nobody said "take two to the NE" like in the old days.  Instead they had a squad leader or an entertainer do a macro-spam for a "solo group."  What it was is a way to get the full group bonus, without ever having to actually fight lairs as a group.

Nobody roleplayed.  The few who did logged on one or two days, then would never show up lit on my friends list again.

Nobody talked.  You'd meet a group standing out in the middle of the desert macroing surveying...a group of maybe twenty or more...and nobody was at the keys.

Practically every open space had harvester farms.  Lots were springing up like wildfire.  I couldn't believe the level of development that was so entrenched in such a short time.

The central hubs, like Coronet, had spammers...lots of them.  You couldn't even see the screen because of the spam.  And the bazaar?  Undercut.  It was tough selling spice.  I'd sell a crate of 50 muon for 5K....and someone would sell a 100 crate for 4K.

Nobody even cared about looking good.  Nobody even bothered to stock full composite; all you could get were the four piece "mini suits".  And some exotic armor?  Like padded or chitin?  You'd be hard pressed to find any.

Cities, for the most part, were dead.  Maybe an odd tourist or an AFK musician.  But Anchorhead?  Bestine?  Moenia?  All dead to rites.

The medbay was just sad.  Nobody even bothered to heal wounds anymore.  Even in Mos Eisley or Theed, I'd sit in a room full of doctors with full black bars, and nobody would heal me for hours on end.

Now I heard, in my dream of course, that we shouldn't expect a full play experience.  And yet, it seems that the good things about Pre-CU--the most important things--were things we already had: emotes, characters, venues, a story to create, and roles to fill.  Nobody cared though about anything but reaching max level and being über...as if there was anything, really, to be über for.

It just seems to me that if we could care THAT LITTLE about the thing we had lost, to play it with such apathy, perhaps it was--in all seriousness--a good thing that Pre-CU "died" in 2005.  Because what I saw--in my dream, of course--is what Pre-CU would have looked like, had 2005 never happened.

And it wasn't good.  That "dream" was, in fact, rather cold and lame, compared to what we had.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think I had that same dream ;)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    uber!

• wilundwilund Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Oh i forgot this is also pre cu.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Why dream about a game lol..

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by snoocky

Right? I mean, yeah especially a dead game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Hatefull

beacuse it was one hell of a game...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Who can chose what they dream about?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Naboo448Naboo448 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    here here! excellent post sir, and well put, I think I've had this exact dream as well, and yes this was one of the best most epic games ever created, so sad for the loss.

Naboo

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Distopia

Who can chose what they dream about?

Exactly, who would want to have half the dreams I have. If I could choose I definitely wouldn't want to dream about work issues, or just having a dream entirely consisting of what I'm going to be doing the next day at work, because that's what I dreamt about last night. I would much rather dream about a game.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Why dream about it when you can still play it?

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Sweet dream ^^
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Blazer6992

Originally posted by snoocky Why dream about a game lol..
    Who says I haven't?  But, of course, seeing as how we cannot talk about such things here, if I actually did play it, I wouldn't be able to talk about my experience there, now would I?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I had a dream about eaxtly same but in my dream SWG PRE CU is still being tested and you can't expect people invest much if they know their experience gets wiped.

For a more lively playerbase in the dream also probably the former guilds have to find together to share the same dream with the same people of before 2005.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    This just goes to show that you can't go home again. Even when someone recreates it in a mass hallucination.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    You could only hear the musician you actually clicked listen on... just saying
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Let me insert you the *threesome"chip in your neck- for your dreams- so get a man again.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Originally posted by Blazer6992

Originally posted by snoocky Why dream about a game lol..
    Who says I haven't?  But, of course, seeing as how we cannot talk about such things here, if I actually did play it, I wouldn't be able to talk about my experience there, now would I?

I don't see why you can't. SWG has been shut down for a long time, and even long before that, the EMU team got explicit permission by the smed-man to remake the pre-cu, so long as they developed their own code. That is one EMU for sure, that is 100% ethical and allowed.

They have permission from the head of SOE for it, really no reason for it to be taboo since the only reason it would be is if it were against the wishes of the developers/company that made the game, which it most certainly isn't in this rare case.

Basically, SWG-Emu is fully endorsed by SOE, with consented permission for it's independent development.

Try telling that to the mods here.

As to the topic of the dream, it really lets one know how important it is for all of the parts to be working at once, or the whole thing doesn't function quite right. As it is, the dream is only about 80% finished, and that missing 20% is really felt.

Once the dream is completed, I think things will be better.

I agree, but my dream is still better than a lot of the current "real lives". image

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I had the same dream, but in my dream  I became an AFK farmer. The I relized how fruitless it all was, AFK loot farm so you can AFK loot farm better and  then I logged out. I reminded my self, this is why the game had failed, it could only be an AFK graveyard because gameplay was tedious in the best of times.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Hatefull

What do you mean dead lol? I'm re-living the dream right now!

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    man… you just bummed me out