Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: A Few Wishes For 2014

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With 2014 a few short hours away, it's time for our annual speculation about the coming year. The Free Zone today looks ahead at 2014 and offers a few thoughts about what we'd like to see. Agree or disagree? Let us know in the comments.

It seems rather fashionable in certain circles to predict that TESO won't even remotely approach becoming “the next big thing”, and that this will constitute failure. It's as if these are the only two possibilities, which they're not. I first went on record years ago with my opinion that the game would be better served by utilizing some form of the free to play revenue model. Obviously, this didn't happen. I never truly thought it would, and Zenimax' decision to go with subscriptions has had absolutely no effect on my hope that its title will succeed. 

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: A Few Wishes For 2014.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    my wishes are always the same: Babes, Booz and Bloody good games
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I hope everyone finds a game they are excited to play. It doesn't have to be the same game "everyone" is playing either.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Destiny Destiny Destiny is going to shift mmo focus from PC's to console there is nobody in the industry who can compete against Bungie in the market right now and nobody willing to put in the investment or focus on quality besides Ubisoft with The Division and yes that will be the number two behind Destiny.

These will be the f2p games you are looking for.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    My one wish is that Archeage releases and the naysayers eat their words as many players find their new long term MMO home they have been waiting for and AA gets the NA recognition that it deserves.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Maquiame, you do know that a lot of PC gamers do not have consoles right?  No game is going to force me to go spend $400-500 on a POS machine(IMO of course) for that purpose.  Not to mention, Destiny sounds like Defiance on steroids.  BTW, I didn't enjoy Halo one, so that maybe part of my dislike of any appeal because it is Bungie.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    Destiny?  Nah.  Most of the people who play MMOs aren't looking to play a MMO FPS game.  Free or not.  The Division, for me at least is far more exciting looking in comparison to Destiny.
    I like to complain about games.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I 100% support games going subscription IF they are legit and not just some quick money grab before changing to cash shop 2-3 months later.In other words the game is designed for cash shop intentions but will see how far they can go with sub fees before it dies out.

All i want from ANY game,not just ESO is a good quality game that looks like the developer put some thought,heart and soul into it and not just a game to make profit in the gaming business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Destiny Destiny Destiny is going to shift mmo focus from PC's to console there is nobody in the industry who can compete against Bungie in the market right now and nobody willing to put in the investment or focus on quality besides Ubisoft with The Division and yes that will be the number two behind Destiny.

These will be the f2p games you are looking for.

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale.....

Granted Destiny will sell well initially, but MMO's do not last on consoles, people move on to other games, hence the servers will be offline within two years.  So why spend time on a MMO that won't be there in the near future?  Play Destiny as an FPS and move on otherwise you will be sadly disappointed.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

*Wishes upon a star.*

WILDSTAR.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I'm wishing for a wonderful Wildstar. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I hope everyone finds a game they are excited to play. It doesn't have to be the same game "everyone" is playing either.

There are still people like you out there. 

I was hoping the same. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Black Gold is my sleeper pick. Thus far it sounds like a lot of pvp with more than enough pve.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I would like a pure PvE game announced that is full of rich lore, stories and magical places to visit combined with a good AA system, deep crafting, fun pet system that is not just vanity items, same with mounts, housing for those who like it, collection system, epic quest lines, action combat, defined classes, races that have meaning, an expansive holy trinity, solo and group content, an open world without loading screens. A game basically about co-operation and togetherness that is not a SANDBOX or whatever that trendy word means. Sort of like EQ, EQ2, Lotro, WoW all rolled into one. Will EQN be that game?

Wildstar could be a sleeper hit, I feel the Sub route has really scuppered its potential early take up of players, though of course it will have a second bite of the cherry going F2P but that box + sub could kill it before it gets going.

I enjoy many a modern MMO so I hope everyone finds a game that truly like this year.

Happy New Year, Cal.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I'm wishing for a wonderful Wildstar. 

As am I.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Maquiame
    Destiny Destiny Destiny is going to shift mmo focus from PC's to console there is nobody in the industry who can compete against Bungie in the market right now and nobody willing to put in the investment or focus on quality besides Ubisoft with The Division and yes that will be the number two behind Destiny.  These will be the f2p games you are looking for.

I hope your right would be great news if it all shifted to console and majority of gamers go console.

Then PC is free of the casuals carebears and spoonfed genrations and the true PC gamers finally can play games again made by indie that offers real challenge and hardcore gameplay.

True SANDBOX will never be an succes on console way to hardcore.

Also console can never offer the graphics and great open world with thousend of players as PC can consoles are way to limited.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

A second wish is that DayZ is for real. I haven't bought in yet, but I must say I am drawn to it considering the roller coaster of emotions one could have while playing and the crazy antics that can go on.

A third wish - PC version of gta5 goes live and is blow away compared to console versions.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I hope Destiny is successful, it is the first shooter in many years that has me willing to play it with a controller rather than mouse/keyboard.

I also want TESO to succeed, I need a new MMO to play and visually/thematically TESO appeals to me the most out of those coming up in 2014. Wildstar might surprise me, but from the streams I've seen of PvP, I'm not expecting it to have staying power once the PvE content is exhausted.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

ESO needs to be smart over the first 6 months and demonstrate there is enough to the game to keep people playing beyond Cyrodiil keep zerging. It plays well, it's pretty, but content needs to come thick and fast within a month of launch.

Wildstar will be the flop of 2014 in my opinion. I think its fun factor is pretty short-term and it doesn't present anything new and fresh.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I noticed in your article that you always referred to games as MMOG.  Has the term MMORPG fallen out of favor or politically incorrect now ???

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Wildstar will be the flop of 2014 in my opinion. I think its fun factor is pretty short-term and it doesn't present anything new and fresh.

Couldn't disagree more.  Just because a game is a themepark, doesn't mean it won't add improvements to the genre.  WildStar is going to be a very popular game.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Black Gold is my sleeper pick. Thus far it sounds like a lot of pvp with more than enough pve.

Looking forward to playing a Vanguard Of Erlandir.  Two-handed blademaster equipped with heavy CC ability alongside high survivability and agility sounds right up my street. This class is also meant to be very good in groups and decent PVP and soloing.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Couldn't disagree more.  Just because a game is a themepark, doesn't mean it won't add improvements to the genre.  WildStar is going to be a very popular game.

My comment regarding Wildstar is not because it's a themepark. I have no issue with themeparks, as a gamer with limited time on my hands these days.

But the question is, what does Wildstar add, other than a new place to do the same old thing?

@Vonatar if that's your take, perhaps gaming has run its course for you. You could say what your saying about all games, it's just a matter of perspective.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

My wishlist is that:

EQNL goes off without a hitch and manages to successfully inject high endorphin levels into my brain so I'm happy playing it.

Wildstar goes off without a hitch and manages to successfully inject high endorphin levels into my brain so I'm happy playing it.

Someone gives me a Billion Dollars to make my own MMO.

That would be a good start.

• MrXleaderMrXleader Member Posts: 1
    I hope Star Citizen,if not this year then the next one!