Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Delving More Into Garrisons

13»

Comments

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Is wow a wildstar clone now?
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Whytewulf
    Kind of interesting.  I want to come back, but not really interested in joining such a pre-built community and being an outsider to that.  I am fairly certain none of my former friends play anymore.  UGH.. whats a level 75 druid to do with no Garrison to call home!

If there is one thing WoW still has over every other MMO (aside from amount of active players), is that it always has new players joining all the time, esp around christmass time. You will never be stonewalled by a "pre built community" like in other older games......unless you ding 90 and want to immediatly run heroic raids...lol

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I never played WOW so I have to ask, ten years and they're just now getting around to housing? What has Blizzard been doing with all that sub money?
    Originally posted by unclemo
    I never played WOW so I have to ask, ten years and they're just now getting around to housing? What has Blizzard been doing with all that sub money?

Exactly....why hasnt Blizzard released any content for the game in the last ten years...jeez....

/endsarcasm

#fightcrazywithcrazy

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

They've been busy turning this gem of MMOs to please facebook players. You know, the social media having more than 1.19 billion active users worldwide. They had over 12 million subscribers; that's nothing compared to a possible billion+ they could have acquired by doing what they've done over these years. Greed has no limits, i guess.

This is what i believe they were thinking when they slowly but steadily destroyed the game that once was World of Warcraft.

Originally posted by deniter

They've been busy turning this gem of MMOs to please facebook players. You know, the social media having more than 1.19 billion active users worldwide. They had over 12 million subscribers; that's nothing compared to a possible billion+ they could have acquired by doing what they've done over these years. Greed has no limits, i guess.

This is what i believe they were thinking when they slowly but steadily destroyed the game that once was World of Warcraft.

Exactly!...how dare they add in additional casual content to attract more players, on top of the harder stuff that has always been there.

#fightcrazywithcrazy

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

I think when it comes to housing it's impossible to make everyone happy.  Even if they included it in the game from day one with no instancing/phasing there would probably be 9+ million houses across the different servers and at least 8.5 million of them would be empty all the time cuz no one went back to them.  At least they're trying something, but then, they always try something and it manages to fall short in people's eyes, one way or another.

As a person who enjoys pvp, I would've liked to see it able to be contested and people able to fight over plots of land, but open world pvp doesn't seem to be that popular with wow players anymore.  Unless I just haven't played on the right server.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

MR KRABS WOOOOOT!

I like Clancy Brown, he'll make a good king character :D

I can't wait to get my hands on my Garrison.  I already have money saved up to buy one :)

Originally posted by jdizzle2k13

I think when it comes to housing it's impossible to make everyone happy.  Even if they included it in the game from day one with no instancing/phasing there would probably be 9+ million houses across the different servers and at least 8.5 million of them would be empty all the time cuz no one went back to them.  At least they're trying something, but then, they always try something and it manages to fall short in people's eyes, one way or another.

As a person who enjoys pvp, I would've liked to see it able to be contested and people able to fight over plots of land, but open world pvp doesn't seem to be that popular with wow players anymore.  Unless I just haven't played on the right server.

I see many posters mention how WoW doesn't care about open world PVP anymore, and while true to a certain extent right now, nobody is mentioning the consistant PVP open world zone being added in the next xpac (similer to old Ilium in swtor), where is doesnt matter wether you are on a PVP or PVE server, PVP is fare game if you are in that open world zone.

That, at the very least, is a step in the right direction.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by jdizzle2k13

I see many posters mention how WoW doesn't care about open world PVP anymore, and while true to a certain extent right now, nobody is mentioning the consistant PVP open world zone being added in the next xpac (similer to old Ilium in swtor), where is doesnt matter wether you are on a PVP or PVE server, PVP is fare game if you are in that open world zone.

That, at the very least, is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, I was about to talk about the PvP area hehe.  Besides, I don't think it's that Blizzard doesn't care about Open World PvP.  It's more that players don't care about  open world PvP.  The days of Tarren Mill, Blizzard didn't have to do anything to have 500+ people bashing each other's brains in and causing the server to crash, players did that.  Blizzard didn't cause players to flock to the Barrens and leave a long trail of skeletons from Ratchet to Crossroads, players did that.  If you want to open world PvP, it's there, you just have to do it.

One thing players always seem to forget, the game is what you make it.  If you want to make it into a pokemon clone, you can.  If you want a good ol' quest grind game, it's there.  If you want a grindy import game, it's there. If you want a PvP game, it's there.  If you want a RvR game, it's there.  It's always been there.  For some reason players forget this, and just go with the fastest, strongest, quickest way to get things done or get rewards.

Always reminded of this video when people talk about how blizzard ruined WoW. Makes me laugh everytime.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbT-cW8Zb7o

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Exactly!...how dare they add in additional casual content to attract more players, on top of the harder stuff that has always been there.

#fightcrazywithcrazy

They did a very good job there. More players have come, and even more have stopped playing. This game was always a casual game, otherwise i wouldn't have played it for 6 years. Facebook games are made for non-gamers, and that's what WoW has become; a game for non-gamers. It's like starting to make cars for people with no driving license. What an awesome idea.

And it never was about difficulty. Wow has always been a fairly easy game. Now it's a facebook game for the first few weeks before you can start the actual game, which is raiding on max level (there's no gearing up game anymore, since it was replaced with the facebook one).

I don't have anything against facebook or the games in it. I even play some of them when chatting with my friends, but that doesn't make them worth to pay money or spend any more of my time than what is needed to exchange thoughts with my friends.

If Blizzard wanted to have a game for non-gamers and retards they could have developed it from scratch and leave their masterpiece untouched. As i already mentioned, there are untapped markets in facebook people but sacrificing their best product in this process has always been a very bad idea.

#fightfirewithfire

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Finally a housing system that won't force me to "enjoy" interior decorating and playing with Lincoln Logs.

This system I could like.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

#fightcrazywithcrazy

They did a very good job there. More players have come, and even more have stopped playing. This game was always a casual game, otherwise i wouldn't have played it for 6 years. Facebook games are made for non-gamers, and that's what WoW has become; a game for non-gamers. It's like starting to make cars for people with no driving license. What an awesome idea.

And it never was about difficulty. Wow has always been a fairly easy game. Now it's a facebook game for the first few weeks before you can start the actual game, which is raiding on max level (there's no gearing up game anymore, since it was replaced with the facebook one).

I don't have anything against facebook or the games in it. I even play some of them when chatting with my friends, but that doesn't make them worth to pay money or spend any more of my time than what is needed to exchange thoughts with my friends.

If Blizzard wanted to have a game for non-gamers and retards they could have developed it from scratch and leave their masterpiece untouched. As i already mentioned, there are untapped markets in facebook people but sacrificing their best product in this process has always been a very bad idea.

#fightfirewithfire

You mean WoW has always had some fairly easy additional casual content. The game as a whole has some of the hardest PVE encounters in any game on the market.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

#fightcrazywithcrazy

#fightfirewithfire

You mean WoW has always had some fairly easy additional casual content. The game as a whole has some of the hardest PVE encounters in any game on the market.

Nah, raids are easy too. Probably he is heroic raider, killed all bosses with his eyes closed.

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    So the Followers system is just taken from SWTOR's Companion system, just like Blizzard.
  • KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Wow the comments here are more bitter than the hoppist ale lol. Someone will say, "oh so there is going to be limited space and only the big guilds will have garrisons, of course Blizzard would do something that stupid!" Then they're told that it is phased and the same person will be "Oh so its phased which means theres really no point to it, of course Blizzard would do something that stupid!" I think I've figured it out when it comes to WoW, no matter what they do, its bad. They could go and try to make the game more like Vanilla and harder and people would complain about not having the time for a second job. Or they could leave it easy and those same people will complain that they want the raids hard and that WoW has become casual. Basically its bad no matter what Blizzard does lol.

Personally it looks kinda interesting. People wanted housing and you got it and more. I just hope that they give a variety of aesthetic options for each faction. Course people would complain, "Blizzard is too cheap and would never do that!" and if Blizzard did those same people would be, "Oh great they wasted their resources so casuals could play house!" Gotta admit, its all rather amusing.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Blizz shat their pants, with Wildstar coming with all the goodies from the get-go. Now they're trying to keep whatever poor saps they still have playing their game with the housing that has been the most wanted feature since beta and been promised ages ago.

People wanted housing DECADE ago.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Honestly it doesn't really look like housing.  It looks like farming 2.0.  For me to consider it housing it will need to allow for a crap ton of customization, something I have seen very little about so far.  Also it isn't optional, it seems like it is a plot device more than it is housing.  We also haven't heard anything about their plans for Garrisons post WoD, and they have avoided answering the question on a couple of occasions now.  

Garrisons may be great, but really there is far too little information right now to get excited about. Most importantly I haven't seen anything that makes it seem like a housing feature.  I mean you could freely place buildings in Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans and that wasn't considered housing, not sure what this really compares with what other MMORPGs have when it comes to a housing feature.  Not saying Garrisons won't be great, just saying it doesn't look like housing.